Relationships: Supplementary Texts (1 Viewer)

the-derivative

BCom/LLB (UNSW)
HSC
Hey Guys!
I’m currently doing my Area of Study in English (yeah we’re weird and we do AoS last) and my Area of Study is on Relationships. I need a few supplementary texts for an upcoming assessment and I’m running low on ideas. I have a film and a play already; however I was hoping to get a song/something else. So i was wondering, do you guys have any ideas on good ‘tasteful’ (as my teacher puts it) supplementary sources, mainly hoping for ideas on good songs. Thanks Guys!

Aerath

Retired
HSC
N/A
Does my Head Look Big In This? - Randa Abdel-Fattah
Of Mice and Men - Steinbeck

Those are some of the main ones I can think of. :p

bored of sc

HSC
Films:
- American Beauty.
- Love Actually.
- The Notebook.

Doctor Jolly

. Per Aspera Ad Astra *
HSC
What does the AoS 'relationships' invovle? Maybe if you could describe it a little, I could help :)

jeska may

HSC
hi, i agree with aerath. of mice and men is fantastic and it sounds like it works well with the area of study. i'll keep thinking for others though. goodluck!! =]

kaz1

et tu
HSC
Uni Grad
Just saw Harold and Kumar 2. That would be good for relationships but I don't think you would be allowed to do it.

Doctor Jolly

. Per Aspera Ad Astra *
HSC
the-derivative said:
Basically involves the interaction between a person and another person, object or one's self and are either dysfunctional or functional. That's probably the Area of Study in a nutshell.
Yeah, then I'd agree with Aerath on 'Of Mice and Men'.

I'm not too sure if this is one, but it's called 'The Wishlist' by Eion Foler (?) and it's about a girl who dies and has a chance to go to heaven if she helps an old folk with his problems before he dies? Sorry, it seems irrelevant now that i think about it =x

Bobness

English / Law
HSC
N/A
bored of sc said:
Films:
- American Beauty.
- Love Actually.
- The Notebook.
That's not a very strong text for 'relationships', as it is far too popular culture and driven by a cliche-ridden plot. You would find it difficult to explore the philosophical concepts of relationships rooted in human condition.

And most Steinbeck novels would be very strong for relationships, so you have made a wise choice the-derivative :)

Also,

the-derivative said:
Basically involves the interaction between a person and another person, object or one's self and are either dysfunctional or functional. That's probably the Area of Study in a nutshell.
I outlined my understanding of dysfunctional families* as a relevant paradigm for 'relationships' to a North Sydney Girls student who happens to study this area of study. And she was startled that her teachers had never covered this point! So it's safe to say, the teachers at your school are very knowledgeable in this AOS (which retains many intrinsic links with 'belonging' your HSC AOS).

*Also, in the present HSC, this is explored in King Lear esp the dynamics between the eponymous tragic hero and regan and goneril. This is where i draw a lot of my syllabus understandings from.

Aerath

Retired
HSC
N/A
the-derivative said:
I'll probably use 'Of Mice and Men', seems pretty good.
I think that's a great choice. And if you happen to need a related text for the American Dream (if you do it later on...)..... :p

Doctor Jolly

. Per Aspera Ad Astra *
HSC
jellybelly59 said:
poetry: Meeting at night and Parting at Morning by Robert Browning?
ughhh.. robert browning's poems are filled with hidden meanings .. as with all poets :mad1:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)