Regretting or Hating any subjects? (1 Viewer)

Schoey93

HSC
hating english...
and thinking religion is pointless but school makes us do it for yr 11 :(
Religion=easy marks. 65% of students of Studies of Religion II at my schoolachieved either a Band 5 or a Band 6 (ie 65% of marks were >=80) in 2009 . I know it's early on, but so far Studies of Religion I is a breeze. Past students have said similar things. Jennie got a band 6 and said religion was a breeze. My cousin Troy got a band 6 too with little work (only one assessment per term). Possessionless on BoS got an easy Band 6.

Last edited:

jmann314

HSC
Religion=easy marks. 65% of students of Studies of Religion II at my schoolachieved either a Band 5 or a Band 6 (ie 65% of marks were >=80) in 2009 . I know it's early on, but so far Studies of Religion I is a breeze. Past students have said similar things. Jennie got a band 6 and said religion was a breeze. My cousin Troy got a band 6 too with little work (only one assessment per term). Possessionless on BoS got an easy Band 6.
Yeah i know its easy marks... just soooooooooooooooo boring (doesn't help my teacher is a super religious guy who won't let us question anything) and i probably won't count it in my ATAR anyway.

ilikebeeef

HSC
Is uncovering fossils a part of the Life on Earth module? Or do you only get to learn about that if you study the Human Story?
Tbh the actual "act" of uncovering fossils (erosion, discovery etc) is not tested afaik. It is more of "What evidence is there to support Darwin's theory of evolution?" to which you can mention the discoveries of transitional species found in fossils eg. Archaeopteryx and relate it back to the question, and "Below is a picture of a ____ fossil. What does it tell us about ____?"

I don't know about the Human Story, as my school will be doing a different option topic.

Schoey93

HSC
Yeah i know its easy marks... just soooooooooooooooo boring (doesn't help my teacher is a super religious guy who won't let us question anything) and i probably won't count it in my ATAR anyway.
It's a good course to do if you believe in contingency plans. It's only 1 unit worth of work. That's half the work of most subjects, as religion is not an extension course.

E.g.
Bob does 11 units: English (Advanced), Mathematics, Chemistry, Food Technology, PDHPE and Studies of Religion I. He chose chemistry because he wants to study medicine at university, but he finds the chemistry course to be very dull. Other students in his class excel because they love the subject, but Bob dislikes it, is not motivated to do well and thus achieves a final HSC mark of 65%.
His marks are:
Eng Adv- 95/100
Maths- 91/100
Chem- 65/100
Food- 96/100
PDHPE- 88/100
SOR 1- 48/50 (96%)

He achieves an ATAR of about 95.40. (Source: UAI Calculator & ATAR Calculator)

If he didn't study religion, his ATAR would have been about 92.65, which is below the minimum ATAR entry requirement of 95 for an MBBS or B Med. He made the cut-off because he had a back up subject.

Everyone is different though. Some people are able to achieve high marks in subjects that they hate (e.g. Aerath achieved marks in the highest band for maths, but he hated it).
Tbh the actual "act" of uncovering fossils (erosion, discovery etc) is not tested afaik. It is more of "What evidence is there to support Darwin's theory of evolution?" to which you can mention the discoveries of transitional species found in fossils eg. Archaeopteryx and relate it back to the question, and "Below is a picture of a ____ fossil. What does it tell us about ____?"

I don't know about the Human Story, as my school will be doing a different option topic.
I know that the act of uncovering fossils is not tested. I was trying to ask if knowledge of how fossils are uncovered is tested. It is tested! Cool!

What option are you doing?

Last edited:

ilikebeeef

HSC
I know that the act of uncovering fossils is not tested. I was trying to ask if knowledge of how fossils are uncovered is tested. It is tested! Cool!
Oh, radiocarbon dating. From reading the syllabus dot points, I can only say that you may be able to use it as an example in the Human Story dotpoint "distinguish between and describe some relative and absolute techniques used for dating fossils". So it's not really a major part of the syllabus.

What option are you doing?
We will be doing Communications.

awaitingtrain

HSC
I LOVE English. Especially creative writing and poetic analysis.

But I do NOT like Physics... it's dull, I'm considering taking Visual Arts instead.

musing

HSC
Oh yeah, as for English, I don't hate it or love it.

The subject is pretty bearable.

Oobadoo

HSC
English Advanced DULL
English Extension AWESOME
Maths 3 Unit AWESOME
Physics DULL
Chemistry AWESOME
Visual Arts DULL
Modern History DULL

I want to pick up SOR1. Though 15 units? hmmmm.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)