• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Recommended Texbooks/Study Guides for Preliminary HSC? (1 Viewer)

emphasis

HSC
Re: Recommended Texbooks/Study Guides?

I think if I was to get a textbook, I'd wait to see what textbook we use at school, u wouldnt want to buy the same textbook. Also is it worth the money to buy a textbook for the preliminary course, I was thinking that I would be better off buying a study guide and use it along with the schools textbook.

dpospination

HSC

what brand is better- excel or macquarie?

Mz.Utai

HSC
Textbook Help!!!

hey guys,
i just need some advice on which textbooks i could buy for extra help with the subjects chemistry and maths 2 unit and ext 1. i would love books which would include a clear explanation which would be easy to understand especially for chem and also exercises to go along with it. ive been to the book shop and seen a couple, though i thought i should take some peoples advice on whats good instead of just buying books that are no good.

really appreciated, thanks.

Mz.Utai

HSC
Re: Textbook Help!!!

im currently using at school conquering chem and for maths the 3 unit mathematics book 1 and 2 .

x.Exhaust.x

Retired Member
HSC

Mz.Utai said:
im currently using at school conquering chem and for maths the 3 unit mathematics book 1 and 2 .
Conquering Chemistry is a really good chemistry textbook. For maths, I'd recommend Cambridge Mathematics 3U.

Mz.Utai

HSC

what do people think about the normal excel one for both

Aplus

HSC
N/A

I use Cambridge 3 Unit at school.

nick3157

Not Actually A Member
HSC

In Chemistry I used Excel and Macquarie and Maths i used Excel. Not that its much use to u but Dotpoint HSC Chemistry is the best Chemistry study guide ive seen. See if u can find a prelim one

Aerath

Retired
HSC
N/A

For Maths - we have both Cambridge 3U and Fitzpatrick 2U. For Chemistry, we use Macmillan Chemistry Pathways, as well as the Dotpoint book.

By the way - I use a Cambridge Legal Studies book - is it worth getting the Excel one?

Last edited:

fjnpenguin

HSC

i got the excel physics and maths. i think the book isn't much use for me.
my tutor told me the macquarie ones r better but it was too late :( can anyone suggest study book for the hsc course if so plz pm me cheers

bored of sc

HSC

:burn: our textbook at school has the easiest questions for circle geometry - which is why I failed the test we had :mad:

foram

Awesome Member
HSC

probably Math in Focus. Thats such an easy book, everybody who uses it at my school ends up with really terrible marks.

I tried telling them to use fitzpatrick, or cambridge, but they just made some rude remarks about how i wasn't that much smarter than them, which i am, because i completly obliterate them at everything they do (excluding english).

The lesson here is, don't use MIF for the practice questions.

Aerath

Retired
HSC
N/A

Wow, finally, I've found something where I agree with foram on. Maths in Focus is not the best book to study from, because its exercises are basic, and just explain concepts (which they do quite well), however, do not give students nearly enough practice questions to do.

That being said, the "I am much smarter than them" comment shows just how much your ego supercedes your vision.

kaz1

et tu
HSC
Uni Grad

tim riley economics workbook is the best one for economics i think

bored of sc

HSC

foram said:
probably Math in Focus. Thats such an easy book, everybody who uses it at my school ends up with really terrible marks.

I tried telling them to use fitzpatrick, or cambridge, but they just made some rude remarks about how i wasn't that much smarter than them, which i am, because i completly obliterate them at everything they do (excluding english).

The lesson here is, don't use MIF for the practice questions.
yer, that's the textbook we have to use :(

Aerath

Retired
HSC
N/A

Have you thought about perhaps setting aside some money and purchasing a Fitzpatrick/Cambridge book to do in the holidays?

Aplus

HSC
N/A

The Dot Point series for Physics and Biology are excellent. Really concise and strictly follow the syllabus. Structured very neatly and well organised. Can't speak for Chemistry because I don't do it. :eek:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)