Rank (1 Viewer)

Riproot

#MedLyf
HSC
Uni Grad
Lol, they were some extenuating circumstances like I was really sick in trials, more time pressure to study for all subs and getting MW in cause I was overseas.

But I'm not expecting a high mark for Chem, I can get a band 5 and still get my desired 95.
I'm sure you'll be fine. :p

Damn, you have to be really specific in HSC chem from the looks of it..
Yeah, chem is harder than it first appears.

D94

HSC
N/A
There are some extreme cases where rank wont have a huge bearing. A HSC student in 2010 from my school was in the bottom of our SOR 1 cohort (80ish people, school rank of 90 that year) and scored 96 externally - her final HSC mark was 95.
That's not an extreme case, and can be easily explained. Since everyone did well in the exam, the assessment marks were moderated up to in accordance to the high mean.

Sindivyn

HSC
That's not an extreme case, and can be easily explained. Since everyone did well in the exam, the assessment marks were moderated up to in accordance to the high mean.
Not everyone did well, there were roughly 10 students above 90 externally (highest 97), she was ranked ~60th

D94

HSC
N/A
Not everyone did well, there were roughly 10 students above 90 externally (highest 97), she was ranked ~60th
It can still be explained. Rank is irrelevant, it's how many marks that separate her from the other students that matters. If she was 5 marks away from 1st place, then she'd still have a relatively high mark, even though she was ranked 60th. If the bottom mark was reasonably high, and she was only a few raw marks away from rank 1, then 95 is a very possible mark to achieve. How ever many students who got 90+ in the exam doesn't matter - it's just the highest/lowest exam marks which matter and how she positioned herself relative to other students, which matter.

I can assure you that this isn't some "exception", and that it wasn't solely due to her performing well in the externals.

shaneuko

HSC
N/A
Because the mean of the internal mark will be same as the mean of the external.(? So if the cohort do well external, then Their assessment mark won't be too low, whatever the rank is.Like that?

someth1ng

Retired Nov '14
HSC
Uni Grad
There are some extreme cases where rank wont have a huge bearing. A HSC student in 2010 from my school was in the bottom of our SOR 1 cohort (80ish people, school rank of 90 that year) and scored 96 externally - her final HSC mark was 95.
How is that possible?

D94

HSC
N/A
Because the mean of the internal mark will be same as the mean of the external.(? So if the cohort do well external, then Their assessment mark won't be too low, whatever the rank is.Like that?
Yeah, if everyone does well in the external exams, then everyone will do well overall.

If the exam marks range from 85 to 95, then ALL HSC marks will range from 85 to 95. It doesn't matter if at school, their raw assessments marks are like 50% to 90%...they the marks are changed to fit between 85 and 95.

Sindivyn

HSC
It can still be explained. Rank is irrelevant, it's how many marks that separate her from the other students that matters. If she was 5 marks away from 1st place, then she'd still have a relatively high mark, even though she was ranked 60th. If the bottom mark was reasonably high, and she was only a few raw marks away from rank 1, then 95 is a very possible mark to achieve. How ever many students who got 90+ in the exam doesn't matter - it's just the highest/lowest exam marks which matter and how she positioned herself relative to other students, which matter.

I can assure you that this isn't some "exception", and that it wasn't solely due to her performing well in the externals.
First raw internal mark was in the 90's, last was in the 30's. There was a cluster of students near the top, however, the student I'm talking about was in the 40's internally.

Externally, the marks ranged from mid-low 60's to 97, students around her received roughly 70 as the moderated assessment mark, she received 93 as a moderated (giving her a final mark of 95)

someth1ng

Retired Nov '14
HSC
Uni Grad

The mean of the internal marks must equal to the external marks. It doesn't make sense to me, even if she was only a few marks from first (they'd still have to drag her/the cohort down because of the low mean).

someth1ng

Retired Nov '14
HSC
Uni Grad
First raw internal mark was in the 90's, last was in the 30's. There was a cluster of students near the top, however, the student I'm talking about was in the 40's internally.

Externally, the marks ranged from mid-low 60's to 97, students around her received roughly 70 as the moderated assessment mark, she received 93 as a moderated (giving her a final mark of 95)
That doesn't sound right unless the BOS decided to calculate her marks separately.

bleakarcher

HSC
Orite thanks guy, good to know this shit. Looks like it's going to be one hell of an asshole trying to completely satisfy the marking criteria.

someth1ng

Retired Nov '14
HSC
Uni Grad
Although you usually need higher marks in physics to get a band 6
Only a few marks though, ~4-5 marks more, I think. Just make sure you write enough to cover any possible criterion. Even Kamal (state rank 3rd) says that.

Last edited:

D94

HSC
N/A

First thought reading this was "complete bullshit" (no offence).

Second thought was "alright, let's see how this could work".

From 70's to 90's, I can't see how that could be an outlier situation. The only possible situation would be the cluster at the top was calculated separately from the rest because it was just enough to be considered an outlier situation (how ever contradictory that sounds).

The exam marks of the rest of the cohort must have been in the 60s and low 70s. This would have been a really separated cohort.

someth1ng

Retired Nov '14
HSC
Uni Grad
I'm mainly worried about physics and chem. For english, I don't even know what the fuck is gunna happen.
Have a thesis prepared for each essay, in the exam, write some shit that they give you as the thesis if you're ever stuck. Use the PEEL twice each paragraph and you're set [don't forget composer's purpose].

PS Riproot, you make me worried...I was aiming for a 94 in the exam so I'd have a chance at touch that B6...LOL

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)