Rank (1 Viewer)

shaneuko

HSC
N/A
Hey, I just want to ask that if a student performs well in the external exam, but middle rank in the internal. What well happen to the internal mark?

someth1ng

Retired Nov '14
HSC
Uni Grad
Internal mark is your internal mark based on the cohort, if your cohort sucks...well, good luck.

HSC
You can't do much about your internal mark. It is pretty set now.

The only thing you can do is try to boost everyone below AND above you. The cohort average will then be higher and you will in turn have a better assessment mark. But it is hard to whip those people at the bottom to work...

D94

HSC
N/A
Hey, I just want to ask that if a student performs well in the external exam, but middle rank in the internal. What well happen to the internal mark?
If your whole cohort performs well then you need not worry about your internal mark. Just do as well as possible in the HSC exams, that's the only thing you can do to get good marks.

bertstare

HSC
What if say you're an outlier and get 40% for your internals whilst the rest of the cohort/class are receiving 50%+ with the second lowest mark being at 50% and the average being 65%. Will this affect the outliers 40% mark?

D94

HSC
N/A
What if say you're an outlier and get 40% for your internals whilst the rest of the cohort/class are receiving 50%+ with the second lowest mark being at 50% and the average being 65%. Will this affect the outliers 40% mark?
There are no outliers for school marks. Theoretically, if in a class of two students, one student is on 80% and the other student is on 10%, both students can get a mark of 95 in the HSC. The school marks just indicate were each student sits relative to each other.

The HSC exam marks will help determine the moderated assessment marks. If the exam marks range from say 95 down to 80, then if that 40% student is last ranked, they will get 80 for their moderated assessment mark + whatever exam mark they get (which would be 80+).

Riproot

#MedLyf
HSC
Uni Grad
it won't change. Lol

I came =4th out of 10 with two other people (so spots 4, 5, 6 (middle of the pack)) and I got 91 in the exam, which was 5 points above 2nd in the exam (which went to one of the guys that was =1st and one that was 7th. Lol) and my internal was still 83. Yay?

someth1ng

Retired Nov '14
HSC
Uni Grad
it won't change. Lol

I came =4th out of 10 with two other people (so spots 4, 5, 6 (middle of the pack)) and I got 91 in the exam, which was 5 points above 2nd in the exam (which went to one of the guys that was =1st and one that was 7th. Lol) and my internal was still 83. Yay?
I got a feeling that will happen to me in Chemistry...

shaneuko

HSC
N/A
There are no outliers for school marks. Theoretically, if in a class of two students, one student is on 80% and the other student is on 10%, both students can get a mark of 95 in the HSC. The school marks just indicate were each student sits relative to each other.

The HSC exam marks will help determine the moderated assessment marks. If the exam marks range from say 95 down to 80, then if that 40% student is last ranked, they will get 80 for their moderated assessment mark + whatever exam mark they get (which would be 80+).
So if my cohort get like from 50~95 in external ..whatever I get in the external. I will get the mean mark from external for my internal mark like 70~ ?

aceer

HSC
I think I'm screwed for next year
Prelim this year all my classes except for maths had marks ranging from 10%-90%, mean mark around 55%.

D94

HSC
N/A
So if my cohort get like from 50~95 in external ..whatever I get in the external. I will get the mean mark from external for my internal mark like 70~ ?
"Middle" rank doesn't mean anything to BOS. Your rank doesn't mean anything unless you are first or last. Let's say you're in a cohort of 50, you are 25th ranked. You could be 5% behind first place, or you could be 20% behind first place. In both cases, you are still 25th, but being 5% behind first is much better than being 20% behind first.

So we can't tell if your internal mark will be 70% or not. It could be 90, or it could be 55. It depends on how many marks you gained at school and the difference in marks between students.

LoveHateSchool

Retired Sept '14
HSC
Uni Grad
lol, as soon as we got trial marks back I knew I was fucked.

If you're 2nd by like 1% then it won't really effect your mark no matter how far away 2nd is in the tests.
Yay I think I'm fairly close :) Arr my chem trial, thank god I killed the prac test on titration and the secondary source task on ozone and stuff for my rank.

Haha and acer, in one of my subjects the average is 47%...thank god I'm first in that one.

someth1ng

Retired Nov '14
HSC
Uni Grad
lol, as soon as we got trial marks back I knew I was fucked.

If you're 2nd by like 1% then it won't really effect your mark no matter how far away 2nd is in the tests.
Yeah, same here. I was 3rd in the trial...14th overall and from rank 3 to rank 14 is around 10 HSC marks...fun fun fun!

Riproot

#MedLyf
HSC
Uni Grad
Yay I think I'm fairly close :) Arr my chem trial, thank god I killed the prac test on titration and the secondary source task on ozone and stuff for my rank.

Haha and acer, in one of my subjects the average is 47%...thank god I'm first in that one.
Sorry to say, but if you fucked up the trial you'll probs fuck up the HSC too.

Yeah, same here. I was 3rd in the trial...14th overall and from rank 3 to rank 14 is around 10 HSC marks...fun fun fun!
lol, you're fucked

someth1ng

Retired Nov '14
HSC
Uni Grad
Sorry to say, but if you fucked up the trial you'll probs fuck up the HSC too.

lol, you're fucked
Yeah, I've realised...some of the people at the top are only there by luck because they don't mark properly. They actually have retarded answers (some with wrong info)...GG.

I usually get 85% raw when I mark my answers based on HSC marking schemes (my answers are usually the same as their sample except with some extra detail.

I bombed out in 3rd assessment because I lost marks in "plan your response", "deconstruct the question", "define the verb", "construct a marking scheme for this question" and answering the question where it was originally 3 marks, inflated to 6 marks...my answer was a clear 3/3 in HSC - apparently not so in this assessment.
Worst of all is that, that assessment weighed 30%.

Last edited:

Riproot

#MedLyf
HSC
Uni Grad
Yeah, I've realised...some of the people at the top are only there by luck because they don't mark properly. They actually have retarded answers (some with wrong info)...GG.

I usually get 85% raw when I mark my answers based on HSC marking schemes (my answers are usually the same as their sample except with some extra detail.

I bombed out in 3rd assessment because I lost marks in "plan your response", "deconstruct the question", "define the verb", "construct a marking scheme for this question" and answering the question where it was originally 3 marks, inflated to 6 marks...my answer was a clear 3/3 in HSC - apparently not so in this assessment.
Worst of all is that, that assessment weighed 30%.
do you want me to mark a paper for you brah (I'm probably as harsh as the actual HSC markers will be (they are cunts for chem))?

Also, unlucky. :/

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)