• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Questions about driving. (1 Viewer)

anomalousdecay

Premium Member
HSC
Post any questions you have about driving here.

Whether it be about how to control a car, how to learn driving something new (manual or semi-auto), unsure about any road rules or if you are unsure of how to do something that involves driving, discuss here.

youngsky

poof
HSC
How long does it take to learn to drive manual?

I'd rather not be limited to auto for the rest of my life.

Graney

Horse liberty
HSC

About 8 minutes, serious.

It usually takes a few months driving daily to feel totally efficient

anomalousdecay

Premium Member
HSC

I'm doing semi-auto now. Taught myself in 5 minutes alone in the car.

Manual would probably take 1-2 weeks to learn how to not stall anymore. Maybe a few months of daily driving and you will never have a bad shift or get confused at something anymore and you will be efficient in it.

Don't worry though you can teach yourself its not that hard. People just get the timing wrong.

Fonzie32

HSC
I'm doing semi-auto now. Taught myself in 5 minutes alone in the car.

Manual would probably take 1-2 weeks to learn how to not stall anymore. Maybe a few months of daily driving and you will never have a bad shift or get confused at something anymore and you will be efficient in it.

Don't worry though you can teach yourself its not that hard. People just get the timing wrong.
I don't see why anyone would need to learn HOW to drive semi auto? You just click the paddle shifters or use the gear shifter lol. I get some people (mostly girls) don't know how what the paddles and the + - on the gear shifter is but once you tell them I'm pretty sure they will know it's simple change gear up and down.

Manual on the other hand is a totally different ball park. You're right, 1-2 weeks to learn how to take off and reverse properly and few months driving and it will become second nature. Personally I wouldn't like to drive manual day to day as it's just a pain in the arse having to clutch in clutch out constantly in traffic.

wannaspoon

ремове кебаб
HSC
Uni Grad

took me about 5 minutes, then again, I taught myself how to ride a bike without training wheels at around 3 years old... been good with things like that... not so good with many others

Can i hit vtec in reverse?
yes, VTEC goes by revs not by the gear you are it... if you can get to that rev range in reverse, you will hit VTEC... :haha:

Carrotsticks

Retired
HSC
N/A
There's 1 intersection I'm really concerned about because I see people doing their own things, so I'm not sure of the road rules.

It's a double laned roundabout that you reach when you exit Homebush Bay Drive in front of DFO.

What are the rules about exiting them?

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
There's 1 intersection I'm really concerned about because I see people doing their own things, so I'm not sure of the road rules.

It's a double laned roundabout that you reach when you exit Homebush Bay Drive in front of DFO.

I was told to indicate left when exiting.

Apparently we have to do that for all roundabouts "big enough".

Drifting95

Should i change my DP?
HSC
took me about 5 minutes, then again, I taught myself how to ride a bike without training wheels at around 3 years old... been good with things like that... not so good with many others

yes, VTEC goes by revs not by the gear you are it... if you can get to that rev range in reverse, you will hit VTEC... :haha:

I was trolling lol

D94

HSC
N/A

You should exit in the same lane as you entered (unless for some reason you decide to do a lane change mid-roundabout).

Indicate left as you exit, but discontinue your signalling once you have completely left the roundabout. The intention is to allow traffic entering to be able to determine whether you are still going around, or leaving the roundabout. Say the roundabout is a clock, and you are entering at 6 o'clock, and you want to turn right, then traffic entering at 3 o'clock should not be held up because they can't determine whether you are in fact doing a U-Turn, or exiting at 3 o'clock.

That pretty much applies to all roundabouts though. The rules then add "if practicable", so if indicating isn't practicable, then you obviously can't indicate. But that roundabout is large enough for you to indicate so please do.

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
You should exit in the same lane as you entered (unless for some reason you decide to do a lane change mid-roundabout).

Indicate left as you exit, but discontinue your signalling once you have completely left the roundabout. The intention is to allow traffic entering to be able to determine whether you are still going around, or leaving the roundabout. Say the roundabout is a clock, and you are entering at 6 o'clock, and you want to turn right, then traffic entering at 3 o'clock should not be held up because they can't determine whether you are in fact doing a U-Turn, or exiting at 3 o'clock.

That pretty much applies to all roundabouts though. The rules then add "if practicable", so if indicating isn't practicable, then you obviously can't indicate. But that roundabout is large enough for you to indicate so please do.
can you do that?

i think my driving instructor would have a fit if i tried that

Carrotsticks

Retired
HSC
N/A

I'll draw a diagram, because I most certainly do not see people doing this.

anomalousdecay

Premium Member
HSC
@Carrot, you must do a head check to your left before leaving the roundabout too because you might have some driver (most likely not thinking) who has changed lanes or is exiting with you (The only two lane roundabout in my area exits into two lanes which mere after 50m so its dangerous and you have to buffer before exiting).

Gary_Oak

Taking a Piss
HSC
Indicating is not really practical with roundabouts when your going straight, but however do in the driving test just in case

User5555555

HSC
Indicating is not really practical with roundabouts when your going straight, but however do in the driving test just in case
When you're going straight in a single laned roundabout, you do not have to indicate out.

@Carrot, you must do a head check to your left before leaving the roundabout too because you might have some driver (most likely not thinking) who has changed lanes or is exiting with you (The only two lane roundabout in my area exits into two lanes which mere after 50m so its dangerous and you have to buffer before exiting).
You only need to do one head check when entering a roundabout. That is, look towards the right. You must give way to every vehicle to your right. If you wait too long to enter/exit the roundabout, you will fail.

Source: I got 100% in my driving test, in a manual too.

D94

HSC
N/A
You only need to do one head check when entering a roundabout. That is, look towards the right. You must give way to every vehicle to your right. If you wait too long to enter/exit the roundabout, you will fail.

I think AD was referring to checking your blindspot, not as in looking left and right such as when you are turning at a T intersection.

As you leave a multi-lane roundabout in the inner lane, you must perform a blindspot check. If just beyond the exit merges into a single lane, and the inner lane has to give way to the outer lane, then you must also perform a second blindspot check.

See Page 8: http://www.rms.nsw.gov.au/licensing/downloads/guide_driving_test.pdf

anomalousdecay

Premium Member
HSC

I was not talking about that. The lanes are separate from the start so you don't need to head check to the left at the start.

I think AD was referring to checking your blindspot, not as in looking left and right such as when you are turning at a T intersection.

As you leave a multi-lane roundabout in the inner lane, you must perform a blindspot check. If just beyond the exit merges into a single lane, and the inner lane has to give way to the outer lane, then you must also perform a second blindspot check.

See Page 8: http://www.rms.nsw.gov.au/licensing/downloads/guide_driving_test.pdf
This is on the money. I have to drive through a roundabout like this everyday for uni and you have to buffer to merge lanes. Whenever you turn the steering in this situation and you have to buffer, a head check is vital to avoid a crash.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)