• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

QUESTION: Why does so many people want get into law? (1 Viewer)

stgeorge2

HSC
I am just curious why is law so demanding? I saw so many posts about people wanting to transfer to law. I am very curious what drives them so crazily to transfer to law.

RivalryofTroll

Sleep Deprived Entity
HSC
Uni Grad
prestige, job opportunities, money
Then people realise the opportunities are close to non-existent (exaggeration but still :haha: ) and the $$$ is not that great unless you're at a top tier firm (even then...)

Omnidragon

Devil
HSC
Uni Grad
Then people realise the opportunities are close to non-existent (exaggeration but still :haha: ) and the $$$ is not that great unless you're at a top tier firm (even then...)
Anyone who thinks $$$ is great at a top tier firm, should download say the Hays salary report and get a reality check.

enoilgam

HSC
Anyone who thinks $$$ is great at a top tier firm, should download say the Hays salary report and get a reality check.
I read this a few weeks back and at an SA level the salary was almost $200,000 from what I remember. To be honest, that was a little less than I expected, especially considering the workload and pressure they would be under. Salaried partners make $350+ and equity partners make over a million.

To answer the OP, money and prestige - although whether that is still the case is debatable. I worked in HR at a top-tier on a short term contract and that confirmed to me that I made the right decision by dropping out of Law. It's a hard and demanding job and if you don't cut it, they will be cut-throat in washing you out. Unless you are really into that sort of career, it isn't as glamorous as people make out.

screwuhsc

HSC
I am just curious why is law so demanding? I saw so many posts about people wanting to transfer to law. I am very curious what drives them so crazily to transfer to law.
guessing prestige and loyalty so others respect u

futuremidwife

HSC
Uni Grad
Definitely prestige, and status. Money isn't too bad. But, I also heard that law grads unemployment has sky-rocketed?

BLIT2014

The pessimistic optimist.
HSC
Uni Grad
Prestige ( I mean they can vouch for in areas such as passports :eek: )

Omnidragon

Devil
HSC
Uni Grad
I read this a few weeks back and at an SA level the salary was almost $200,000 from what I remember. To be honest, that was a little less than I expected, especially considering the workload and pressure they would be under. Salaried partners make $350+ and equity partners make over a million.
Maybe these guides aren't that accurate. Plenty of friends who are SA-level across Asia Pac. Not many Australian top tier firms pay that kind of money. Maybe in Asia.

turntaker

HSC
because law is so fun!!
and innovative.
because writing 5 essays a week is totally awesome.
:D

wannaspoon

ремове кебаб
HSC
Uni Grad
Because it's one step above an Arts degree and you can hang shit on those people who do Arts...

Confound

HSC
Knowledge of law and it's components/application is great to have.

To get the opportunity to study law is something every academic should embrace.

wannaspoon

ремове кебаб
HSC
Uni Grad
Knowledge of law and it's components/application is great to have.

To get the opportunity to study law is something every academic should embrace.
A big HECS or FEE-HELP debt is something which is really good to embrace also...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)