question about schools.. (1 Viewer)

w8t4hope

HSC
hey all.
altho it is very late indeed, do you think it is possible for me to get into a sydney selective school at this point in time (as in if i apply now).
i currently live in newcastle and wanting to move to a sydney selective high school for my prelim as i find newi a lil less competitive and lacking in resource for the results i want for my ATAR.
I had no intentions of this beforehand as i didnt think i was good enuff, but through the awards (dux) i received from our graduation this year, and my impressive school cert result, i really want to give it a shot. i also couldn't go to a selective school as i only got australian citizenship few weeks ago.
i know this isn't a really good place to ask this kinda question but just wanting to get a general opinion from others already in sydney schools.

cheers.

Without Wings

Super Moderator
HSC
N/A
Applications for 2010 entry to selective schools closed in July last year and places have already been offered.

You can find info regarding selective schools and entry here:
http://www.schools.nsw.edu.au/learning/7-12assessments/selective8_12.php

P.T.F.E

HSC
if ur good enough it wont matter what school ur at. i live in a country town in a definatly not competitive school and there are still students reaching 99+

w8t4hope

HSC
would it be any wise to make a move in year 12?
or would that stuff up my whole course/learning..?

Aerath

Retired
HSC
N/A
I recommend only moving in Yr 11. If you move in Yr 12, your focus will be split between making friends and trying to learn. And if you only focus on trying to learn, you will be lonely, and that doesn't create a very conducive learning environment.

w8t4hope

HSC
makin friends is no problem for me. and i already have many friends in sydney atm.
the thing im worried about moving at year 12 is that i thot u study stuff in year 11 that leads on to year 12.. or is that not the case?
does the prelim course have any link with the year 12 course??

Amogh

HSC
N/A
I recommend only moving in Yr 11. If you move in Yr 12, your focus will be split between making friends and trying to learn. And if you only focus on trying to learn, you will be lonely, and that doesn't create a very conducive learning environment.
But why would 'making new friends' occupy the whole year?
either way, im with aerath
don't change schools for year 12 as this already so crucial period will be further complicated with the 'new school' transition
and heck..all the change for only ONE more year at school?

yes (from my knowledge), the prelim course is related with the HSC one

Last edited:

CecilyMare

HSC
I'm not aware of any schools let alone selective schools who are still taking in people for Yr 11. But I do know that Baulko High takes in people in Yr 12, if and only if they are the dux at their previous school (because they're desperado to beat beat ruse like that)

As for hurrying to make friends during yr 12 if you do join a new school in 2011, I don't think it is any big of a deal. It also depends on how high the need for friendship at school is on your radar. I like people being mere acquaintances around me. If you're mainstream then you will fit in with the mainstream, snap like that.

You may need to consider the school's subject availability too. Some selective schools don't offer Religion, if you're thinking of continuing that for Yr 12, that is.

Aerath

Retired
HSC
N/A
But why would 'making new friends' occupy the whole year?
Hahaha, my bad - ambiguous post. What I meant to say that 'making new friends' is a concern that every new student encounters when going to a new school. Will I make friends? What happens if I don't make any friends? Will I be a loner? These are questions that travel through all kids minds - and it's another layer of stress that is foistered upon a student. Now combine that with the stress of such a big stepping stone as the HSC, and that's a potentially dangerous level of stress, that to be honest, HSC-stress alone is more than enough. :p

kaz1

et tu
HSC
Uni Grad
makin friends is no problem for me. and i already have many friends in sydney atm.
the thing im worried about moving at year 12 is that i thot u study stuff in year 11 that leads on to year 12.. or is that not the case?
does the prelim course have any link with the year 12 course??
Only for Maths.

Aquawhite

Retiring
HSC
Uni Grad
I recommend you stay put - the education will still be at a great level at your school. I attend a rather rural school and have good results for those who work hard and are in the top section of the cohort.

FCB

Emma Watson <3
HSC
What school are you currently at?

+1 to anyone who said that the school you're at doesnt matter. It only matters to yourself. If you work hard, Youre bound to get the same results.

kiki_koala

HSC
I had a friend who got 99.75 at a 'bad' school. All it means, is that you really have to work hard yourself, to get the results. If you have the top rankings, and you top the exams, you won't be at all affected by scaling. Sure, it helps if you have a good school to pull you up, but if you are aiming for a 99+, then you should aim to be at least top 2 or 3 in all of your subjects.

The way the scaling works (sorry if this has already been said, and I know this is probably not the best explanation!!)

Top exam (HSC) mark becomes the top assessment mark, for the school as a whole.

Ie. If your school assessment mark in English adv is 85 and you are ranked 1st, and then in the exam, you get 95 (and its the top exam mark at your school) you will get 95.

I just want to make it clear, that your ranking is VERY important, so try and work to have as high a ranking as possible. Don't cheat to get the highest rank, because if you screw up the exam, you could not only jeopardise your marks, but possibly your whole grades.

Hope this is of some help.

Amogh

HSC
N/A
HSC-stress alone is more than enough. :p
Haha true..more than an year away and I can already feel it grow..>.>

the school you're at doesnt matter. It only matters to yourself. If you work hard, Youre bound to get the same results.
+1 to anyone who said that the school you're at doesnt matter. It only matters to yourself. If you work hard, Youre bound to get the same results.
OMG dude
was JUST gonna say that
o nooss
can i still get rep pl0x :p
lol nah jokes

nutcracker

the restaurant at the end of the universe.
HSC
Yeah, as everyone else said, the school you go to shouldn't matter in the slightest. Besides, moving to a new school that late will mean you have to readjust to a completely different system. Like, it's taken me all the 5 years I've been at my school to figure out which english teachers prefer what kind of writing >>". Also, some selective schools teach some things earlier, e.g. topics in maths, and when it comes to year 12, they assume that everyone knows that stuff and zoom through it and you may have trouble picking it up properly.
And I think as someone else has mentioned, not sure if all that many selective schools accept students in year 12. I know for a fact that mine doesn't.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)