Qantas Grounds Entire Fleet (1 Viewer)

cheese_cheese

HSC
ABC said:
Qantas boss Alan Joyce has announced the airline is grounding its entire fleet in response to unions' industrial action.

The airline is fighting with its pilots, ground staff and licensed engineers over pay, conditions and the outsourcing of jobs overseas.

Qantas will lock out all its employees covered by the agreements that are currently in dispute.

Mr Joyce says the airline will lock out staff until the unions withdraw their extreme claim and reach agreement with us.

He apologised passengers inconvenienced by the grounding. The lock out will begin at 8pm AEDT on Monday.
http://www.abc.net.au/news/2011-10-29/qantas-locking-out-staff/3608250

What an idiot the CEO is. That is no way to win back customers or shareholders support.

Selador

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
Sack all members of the involved unions as well as any other employee that has striked and bring in the scabs.

If they dont want to work, they should go elsewhere.

cheese_cheese

HSC
Good luck operating an airline when all your baggage handlers, engineers and pilots won't work under the conditions. The baggage handlers are easily replaced. The engineers and pilots (that are authorized to fly and operate Australian aircraft under our safety and licensing laws) are not easily replaced though.

I don't know anyone that flys Qantas anyway these days.

cheese_cheese

HSC
The CEO also received a 2 million dollar payrise yesterday... what a hypocrite he is.

cheese_cheese

HSC
Alan Joyce shows he's part of 1%. #Qantas lockout another reminder why we need #Occupy movement.

Lentern

HSC
Alan Joyce shows he's part of 1%. #Qantas lockout another reminder why we need #Occupy movement.
It may or may not justify the movement, but to say we need the #occupy movement implies that something different will happen as a result of it.

cheese_cheese

HSC
Qantas loses 20 million a day until operations resume after all planes were grounded immediately. Given they now have to negotiate with 3 different unions and have already been in negotiations for months, they are going to take a big hit.

funkshen

dvds didnt exist in 1991
HSC
N/A
whelp, didn't want to fly back to work on monday anyways

Lolsmith

kill all boomers
HSC
where do you work funkshen why are you travelling via aircraft to get there, tell us about your life

mitchh81

HSC
this was always going to happen,
with the introduction of budget airways such as tiger and other Asia airways it was inevitable that Qantas would have to reduce costs to remain competitive internationally
Qantas now has to seek o/s to expand its operations to ultimately reduce costs, however with current structure of the Qantas business with the flusteration of trade unions and it is impossible to expand o/s due to trade union influences, it is ridiculous that the trade unions are demanding for higher wages and better job security, when the economy is experiencing a recession and the business is experiencing finical losses, me thinks the ploy is to eliminate the whole intervention of trade unions within the business structure

mirakon

nigga
HSC
Kinda ridiculous how he's getting the exorbitant payrise though, he hasn't really done anything good for QANTAS and he's getting paid enough anyway.

cheese_cheese

HSC
Kinda ridiculous how he's getting the exorbitant payrise though, he hasn't really done anything good for QANTAS and he's getting paid enough anyway.
The 1% like screwing over the 99% of Australians.

cheese_cheese

HSC
this was always going to happen,
with the introduction of budget airways such as tiger and other Asia airways it was inevitable that Qantas would have to reduce costs to remain competitive internationally
Qantas now has to seek o/s to expand its operations to ultimately reduce costs, however with current structure of the Qantas business with the flusteration of trade unions and it is impossible to expand o/s due to trade union influences, it is ridiculous that the trade unions are demanding for higher wages and better job security, when the economy is experiencing a recession and the business is experiencing finical losses, me thinks the ploy is to eliminate the whole intervention of trade unions within the business structure
I agree with the first part. Budget airlines dominate now, we all fly them.

However if I worked for Qantas (I don't) I would want decent working conditions and a payrise also, thus it is entirely reasonable for them to do what they are doing.

mitchh81

HSC
I agree with the first part. Budget airlines dominate now, we all fly them.

However if I worked for Qantas (I don't) I would want decent working conditions and a payrise also, thus it is entirely reasonable for them to do what they are doing.
yes true employees will always seek higher rewards, i would personally too, however it will gradually result in the decline of the Qantas labour force as they will continously become less competitive, meaning less demand for labour ..

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)