Problem (1 Viewer)

Spoken12

HSC
Hi all, first post. Long time reader, first time poster...

I basically have a problem. I am currently in Year 12 HSC, and am doing: Economics, Legal Studies, Business Studies, English Advanced and General Maths.

In Business, Legal and Eco I am currently ranking 1st and in English I am 5th. The problem? General Maths. We've only had one assessment so far and I got 87%, but it was only on two topics and it was extremely easy. The half yearly is coming up and it's on 5 topics, two of which I am utterly hopeless at. I realise this is probably one of the more unique problems ever posted on this forum because out of my 5 subjects General should theoretically be the easiest subject by far. I basically stuffed up my subject selection in Prelim because I wanted to do Modern History in addition to my current 5 subjects but I could only get Biology on the 6th line. I'm even worse at Biology than I am at Maths so I had to drop Biology and now I am stuck with Maths.

I have a huge fear I am going to do really, really well in my other 4 subjects and get Band 6's through hard, hard work and then have it all wasted because of a poor general maths mark. (If it isn't obvious yet, I am really bad at Maths, even General, and should not be doing it). I'm not from a rich background and can't afford tutoring (not sure if it would help anyway, people have mixed reviews on tutoring and it's effectiveness/value) so the only option seems to be extremely hard work.

Please believe me when I tell you that I have been trying extremely hard to gain understanding because obviously maths is a repetition subject whereby if you keep doing the same type of problems, you should eventually understand it (especially with the "easiness" of general). For me that theory doesn't apply. I've spent more hours on General maths than any other subject and I'm still not getting it. Our last assessment (and first HSC one) was at the end of Term 4 and as I said, I did well because it was easy and on two topics that I am particularly good at (Data and Credit/Borrowing).

I am good with the topics involving raw numbers (i.e. financial maths/data) but am utterly hopeless at trig, area and volume etc etc.

I'm really, really upset because as I said my greatest fear is working so, so hard in all my subjects and achieving amazing marks in my four "real" subjects and then it going all to waste because of a really poor General mark.

I have come to this forum in the hope that someone, somewhere can shed some light and advice on my current plight. I really feel if I was doing modern history right now that I would have 5 amazing subjects instead of 4 with one hopeless one. It's such a shame the lines at school didn't allow me to do Modern because that could be the difference between me getting my desired ATAR of 90+, and it being somewhere in the 70's (wouldn't that be a first? Band 6 Legal/Business/Eco/English but an ATAR of 70 because of a band 3 general maths).

I guess what I'm asking, is do I have any real options? I mean, obviously it's too late to get out of General now and move to Modern History, right? Or is it? Are there options at TAFE where I can continue my four subjects of HSC at school and do modern history just at TAFE? I'm really on struggle street here and it feels like I've got myself into a hole that I can't get out of. Anyone please, please, have any ideas whatsoever that could help?

Thank you so much for your time.

Examine

same
HSC
Have you tried other ways of studying Gen Maths, or just sticked to one? Experiment a bit and see how you go.

Examine

same
HSC
Hi all, first post. Long time reader, first time poster...

I basically have a problem. I am currently in Year 12 HSC, and am doing: Economics, Legal Studies, Business Studies, English Advanced and General Maths.

In Business, Legal and Eco I am currently ranking 1st and in English I am 5th. The problem? General Maths. We've only had one assessment so far and I got 87%, but it was only on two topics and it was extremely easy. The half yearly is coming up and it's on 5 topics, two of which I am utterly hopeless at. I realise this is probably one of the more unique problems ever posted on this forum because out of my 5 subjects General should theoretically be the easiest subject by far. I basically stuffed up my subject selection in Prelim because I wanted to do Modern History in addition to my current 5 subjects but I could only get Biology on the 6th line. I'm even worse at Biology than I am at Maths so I had to drop Biology and now I am stuck with Maths.

I have a huge fear I am going to do really, really well in my other 4 subjects and get Band 6's through hard, hard work and then have it all wasted because of a poor general maths mark. (If it isn't obvious yet, I am really bad at Maths, even General, and should not be doing it). I'm not from a rich background and can't afford tutoring (not sure if it would help anyway, people have mixed reviews on tutoring and it's effectiveness/value) so the only option seems to be extremely hard work.

Please believe me when I tell you that I have been trying extremely hard to gain understanding because obviously maths is a repetition subject whereby if you keep doing the same type of problems, you should eventually understand it (especially with the "easiness" of general). For me that theory doesn't apply. I've spent more hours on General maths than any other subject and I'm still not getting it. Our last assessment (and first HSC one) was at the end of Term 4 and as I said, I did well because it was easy and on two topics that I am particularly good at (Data and Credit/Borrowing).

I am good with the topics involving raw numbers (i.e. financial maths/data) but am utterly hopeless at trig, area and volume etc etc.

I'm really, really upset because as I said my greatest fear is working so, so hard in all my subjects and achieving amazing marks in my four "real" subjects and then it going all to waste because of a really poor General mark.

I have come to this forum in the hope that someone, somewhere can shed some light and advice on my current plight. I really feel if I was doing modern history right now that I would have 5 amazing subjects instead of 4 with one hopeless one. It's such a shame the lines at school didn't allow me to do Modern because that could be the difference between me getting my desired ATAR of 90+, and it being somewhere in the 70's (wouldn't that be a first? Band 6 Legal/Business/Eco/English but an ATAR of 70 because of a band 3 general maths).

I guess what I'm asking, is do I have any real options? I mean, obviously it's too late to get out of General now and move to Modern History, right? Or is it? Are there options at TAFE where I can continue my four subjects of HSC at school and do modern history just at TAFE? I'm really on struggle street here and it feels like I've got myself into a hole that I can't get out of. Anyone please, please, have any ideas whatsoever that could help?

Thank you so much for your time.
If you get 90's for all subjects and 75 for general maths, you'll still get an ATAR over 90. Obviously you feel that you won't get Band 6 for it, so just aim to get 80-85 or something and if you get Band 6 for everything else, you'll be fine.

Spoken12

HSC
Hey, cheers for the reply.

Re: Study techniques - I go home and do the class work I didn't get done in class time, along with the additional homework and then I also use the Excel General Maths textbook to revise further questions. The problem is I don't get A LOT of the topics, even the basic questions in them.

So there's definitely no way/no system in place to be able to only do those 8 units of eco/legal/business/english at school and then another subject (e.g. modern history) at TAFE? I'm basically stuck with my current predicament, right? :(

Examine

same
HSC
Ask the teacher for some guidance, you'd be surprised how much they help. If your teacher is not a bitch then they'd be glad to.

Spoken12

HSC
Have already tried that at lunch times - for certain topic areas (i.e. trig) it's just not sinking in.

Anyone have any ideas? Am I pretty much just stuck in this predicament? Or is there a way around it like I mentioned above? Re: Doing 8 units at school/2 units at TAFE?

Aerath

Retired
HSC
N/A
Maths is pretty much just continued application. Learn the theory, apply it to questions from past papers. To me, you seem like you have great work ethic, so I personally think that you're selling yourself short. If you can work to bring your General Maths up to a Band 5, there is no way you cannot get 90 ATAR. If you can even bring your General Maths up to a mid Band 5, I reckon you'll easily be in the 94-95 ATAR range, with the rest of your band 6s.

avro

HSC
Or, maybe try another maths teacher? I'm sure there's quite a few, and most should be comfortable with the general maths course. Maybe what you need is a teacher who hasn't had much senior experience, and teaches juniors. This way for certain topics you'll find the information can sink in better and often they have refreshing ways of teaching.

Coookies

HSC
Maths is very rewarding. When you finally get a question right, you get this feeling that you can do anything, so aim for that feeling.

Also, you could ask questions here on BOS, people here are GREAT help and really nice. They sure helped me a lot and I can't rep them enough! :)

You could also try talking to people topping general and ask them questions/advice. Just let them know you'll never be a threat to their rank and by improving, you can help their overall hsc.

Spiritual Being

hehehehehe
HSC
Uni Grad
I know a guy who used to be in a similar problem that's in hsc general now. In prelim he told me he would treat the subject like it's the easiest thing in the world and he will know it all. Lets face the facts, no matter what level of maths you do you have to listen to the teacher to know how to solve the problem. What that guy would do is daydream during the time where the teacher is explaining the concept and when she says do the excersise, oh shoot; he's lost. It just doesn't come to your head even though it's "general maths". Ask your teacher for some help and from here on in, listen when the teacher is explaining how to do it; if you think about it, nothing can go wrong. Good luck :) Once my friend realised this shit in prelim, he actually started listening and practising and he enjoys it; ranked 3rd in the subject :)

mirakon

nigga
HSC
Some tutors can come fairly cheap and can really give your understanding a boost. Just ask them to help you with the topics u r struggling at. If not, post ur maths issues on bos, someone is bound to help.
If this is not possible ask ur teacher for extra help or possibly a past student of ur school who did well in general.
Right now i have some important advice. Its best if u stop stressing because in exam situations it can be more harmful than actual gaps in knowledge. A lack of confidence can equate to mind blanks etc. So please try and maibtain a sense of self belief

Spoken12

HSC
Wow, what an amazing response from everyone. Thank you all for your time.

I understand that continued practise (study) along with getting help from teacher(s) and fellow peers is the only way to move past this "problem". I will continue to push hard and study, perhaps I can ask some questions on the General Maths forum of this website? Regarding topics, problems etc?

Thank you all again, feels really good to know I'm not alone in this conundrum.

Once again though I ask to those with immense knowledge of the system - is there a way to do 8 units at school (dropping maths) and doing the other 2 somewhere else (i.e. TAFE) via Modern History and still get an ATAR? I'm guessing not?

mirakon

nigga
HSC
Wow, what an amazing response from everyone. Thank you all for your time.

I understand that continued practise (study) along with getting help from teacher(s) and fellow peers is the only way to move past this "problem". I will continue to push hard and study, perhaps I can ask some questions on the General Maths forum of this website? Regarding topics, problems etc?

Thank you all again, feels really good to know I'm not alone in this conundrum.

Once again though I ask to those with immense knowledge of the system - is there a way to do 8 units at school (dropping maths) and doing the other 2 somewhere else (i.e. TAFE) via Modern History and still get an ATAR? I'm guessing not?
Yes definitely post in the general maths forum here, thats what its for lol.

I'm not sure if you can do modern at TAFE, but yes you can do some units at TAFE and some units at school, but I wouldn't recommend it. Stick to maths for now, continue working hard at it and don't give up as you may be able to improve :)

Spoken12

HSC
Oh okay, I see. Just out of interest if you could elaborate, why would you not recommend it?

mirakon

nigga
HSC
Oh okay, I see. Just out of interest if you could elaborate, why would you not recommend it?
Simply hecause it could be inconvenient and disruptive to ur timetable going to two different institutions

enoilgam

HSC
I know your against it, but I reakon a private tutor would help you heaps. Most of the time, tutoring doesnt work because people arent willing to put in the work themselves, therefore making the tutor redundant. With someone to explain the work to you one-on-one, I reakon you might be able to do heaps better. There are many tutors out there that dont charge much - if you look hard enough you can probably find one thats right for you.

Spoken12

HSC
Simply hecause it could be inconvenient and disruptive to ur timetable going to two different institutions
Would it be to late to enrol now just for that one subject and still do the HSC at TAFE just for one subject this year? Or would I have to do just the one subject next year? How would it work? Seems complex, I think you're right.

I know your against it, but I reakon a private tutor would help you heaps. Most of the time, tutoring doesnt work because people arent willing to put in the work themselves, therefore making the tutor redundant. With someone to explain the work to you one-on-one, I reakon you might be able to do heaps better. There are many tutors out there that dont charge much - if you look hard enough you can probably find one thats right for you.
Yeah I think I may have to consider it. Thank you all for your advise and time.

mirakon

nigga
HSC
Would it be to late to enrol now just for that one subject and still do the HSC at TAFE just for one subject this year? Or would I have to do just the one subject next year? How would it work? Seems complex, I think you're right.

Yeah I think I may have to consider it. Thank you all for your advise and time.
Im not entirely sure to be honest, although u have to consider that u've pretty much finished.off half the hsc year so imo its too late to take an entirely new subject now.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)