Problem with subject linage (1 Viewer)

jadenmaccas

HSC
I had a problem today at school. I discovered physics, economics and legal studies were on the same line and I want to do both physics and economics because I have an interest in them and think I'll do well. The secondary problem is that once we choose either physics or economics (one of the two in my case), we were never offered our reserve subjects (an example with my friend, he chose physics and economics but had to pick from either IPT, Geography or Industrial Tech Multimedia, none of which he liked and wasn't on his reserve list.)

Obviously the process isn't equitable as one person might choose subjects which they all run properly, being considered lucky. Another student might choose subjects which might be on similar lines, which would be unlucky.

I really want to do both. Last year, a dux in our school (Parramatta Marist High) did physics, chemistry, economics, maths extension 1 & 2, english advanced and studies of religion I, but had nothing on the same line, so he could do them.

I think it is totally insane that physics and economics, two popular high scaled subjects, would run at the same time....

Any suggestions to counter this issue without leaving? Please do not say move schools, there should be a solution to this problem. I thank those willing to help me

Gigacube

HSC
I hope you did not choose physics and economics because of the scaling.

You could do one by distance education if you really wanted to do it.

jadenmaccas

HSC
I'm not choosing them for scaling benefits.
I'm choosing them because I enjoy them and will perform well in those subjects. This is shown as I enjoyed the physics component of science and my performances and enjoyment in commerce about the economy.

Gigacube

HSC
Okay good, just checking as you said:
I think it is totally insane that physics and economics, two popular high scaled subjects, would run at the same time....
Subject lines are based on what the cohort chooses and it looks like not many people want to do physics and economics together.

A reason why your friend wasn't offered his reserve choice could be because the people who picked the subject first got into that subject & the class was full.

If you really want to do physics and economics together then I suggest you do it via distance education as it seems like you do not want to move schools. Doing it through distance education requires a lot of motivation as it is easy to slack off.

jadenmaccas

HSC
Okay good, just checking as you said:

Subject lines are based on what the cohort chooses and it looks like not many people want to do physics and economics together.

A reason why your friend wasn't offered his reserve choice could be because the people who picked the subject first got into that subject & the class was full.

If you really want to do physics and economics together then I suggest you do it via distance education as it seems like you do not want to move schools. Doing it through distance education requires a lot of motivation as it is easy to slack off.
Yep I understand what you mean but listen to my perspective. If I chose a subject knowing the timetable lines then I would follow according to the lines which I prefer that suit my preferences. However, if I chose two or more subjects that clash with each other without knowing what the lines are, it would be very unfair. Let me give you an example, because I cannot really explain what I mean. Say Student A did these preferences in order, in which English and Studies of Religion (in our school) is compulsory: 1. Maths Extension 1 2. Physics 3. Economics 4. Engineering Studies 5. Business Studies 6. Legal Studies 7. Modern History 8. Ancient History Another Student B chose these subjects in order: 1. Mathematics 2. Business Studies 3. Legal Studies 4. Ancient History 5. Modern History 6. Biology 7. Senior Science 8. Chemistry Let us assume that Student A had physics and economics on the same line. Let us also assume that Student B's first 6 preferences were not on the same line. This means Student A 'loses' a spot on the preferences, because Eco and Physics run on the same line. Take economics out. Student A is left with the reserves, but Student B took most of Student A's reserves, taking him out in most courses, assuming that other students did so. Do you kinda get what I mean?

jadenmaccas

HSC
Is there absolutely anything I can do besides distance education, moving schools, or not picking either physics or economics?

cem

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
Most schools these days do the lines using one of a number of computer programmes that are designed to give as many students in the cohort as possible their subject choices. There will always be some students who end up with clashes.

At your school there may only be one student who wants to do your combination but to move either Physics or Eco to another line would mean more students would have clashes.

You have three chooses - distance education, change schools, choose another subject. That is it. The school can't run its lines for the benefit of one student if it means disadvantaing more students.

I have never had a Year 10 cohort where a number of students haven't had to choose subjects that weren't in their first preference list, or in the case of our Year 10s this year - deal with the fact that a number of subjects didn't run due to lack of numbers - subjects that in previous years have been classed as popular but simply not running this year.

Last edited:
HSC
Uni Grad
^^ this

your school has tried their best to give everyone their top preferences

unfortunately your subjects had to be on the same line to make this possible

you can:
1. choose another subject
2. distance education
3. change schools

jnney

lemon
HSC
I had encountered a similar problem. It's unfortunate I know, but there are only a few things that can be done about it if you really want to take both physics and economics at the same time - like others have said. I decided to learn one of my subjects via distance education.

jadenmaccas

HSC
Do you think these lines can be fixed if there are more people in the same ordeal which I am, in my exact situation where I can only pick physics OR economics?

Because I gathered about 10-15 people who clashed with physics and economics too.

If I gather more, could I persuade whoever is in charge of the lines to fix them so that less people would be disappointed?

Alkanes

HSC
You can talk to your curriculum/subject coordinator to discuss your situation. If matters go worst, talk to the principle. My two cents.

Gigacube

HSC
Do you think these lines can be fixed if there are more people in the same ordeal which I am, in my exact situation where I can only pick physics OR economics?

Because I gathered about 10-15 people who clashed with physics and economics too.

If I gather more, could I persuade whoever is in charge of the lines to fix them so that less people would be disappointed?
You may disappoint more people by having those 2 subjects placed on other lines too if one of them is swapped for another. If you and the 10-15 people are really keen on doing both subjects then suggest to have it offline. It means that you may have to come earlier or stay behind at school for longer but you get the subject that you want. Also keep in mind that a lot of people change their subjects in year 11. You may feel deadset on what you want to do now but there's a good chance that you'll change your mind later.

cem

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
With subjects going off line you are also adding a class to a teacher's load - something that also may not be possible.

Schools are staffed according to a given ratio and teachers have a maximum number of periods they can teach so it may not be possible to find the extra 4 hours needed to run the class, or find a teacher willing to take a class off-line.

Last edited:

Aerath

Retired
HSC
N/A

I don't know about this - the school shouldn't need to adapt to your needs. The proposed changes could be good for you - but bad for perhaps 50 other students.

Aerath

Retired
HSC
N/A
Any suggestions to counter this issue without leaving? Please do not say move schools, there should be a solution to this problem.
There is a solution - you can move schools. I really don't feasibly see a way you cn get around this just by staying in your school

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)