Private Schools? (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Aquawhite

Retiring
HSC
Uni Grad
I totally agree with the post above, that I wouldnt send my kid to a public school in my area.... since they are filled with drugs and delinquents.

Timothy.Siu

Prophet 9
HSC
I think the first consideration is the location of the school. For Primary I won't send my kids to a prestigious Private if there is a great public or catholic school nearby.

For High School, if you can afford prestigious private (top tear 20K + annually) you might as well send them. The amount of activities at top Private would be value for money in long term. The environment and discipline would be in high standard.

For example, In Sydney, everage top 20 of Grammar Graduates would be offered scholarship locally as well as internationally. Top 10 for Shore, Knox, Abbotsleigh, Pymble. Top 5 at PLC Croydon, MLC, Ravenswood, Darlinghurst, etc.

Best value: High - Play GPS & 1K/year contribution.
yay, high =)
it's good if u like sport especially (+good at academics of course).
if i had kids, i would probably send them to a good selective school, but if they didn't make it, most likely a private school, because i agree, most public schools are poorly equipped in many aspects but i still think that the top selective schools wouldn't be too much worse if worse compared to some of the private schools, because at least u'll get academic stuff outa of it.

Last edited:

Continuum

I'm squishy
HSC
yay, high =)
it's good if u like sport especially (+good at academics of course).
if i had kids, i would probably send them to a good selective school, but if they didn't make it, most likely a private school, because i agree, most public schools are poorly equipped in many aspects but i still think that the top selective schools wouldn't be too much worse if worse compared to some of the private schools, because at least u'll get academic stuff outa of it.
public schools are probably worse than selective and private schools in a fair few aspects, but really, i don't see what's so bad about them in general. a public school within the top 150 is ok - not the best, but nonetheless ok.

Aerath

Retired
HSC
N/A
And at the end of the day, it's the student, not the teachers and environment that most affect how students do. That's why you get a guy at Ruse getting 57, and you'll get a girl at Cherrybrook Technology getting 100.

yoddle

is cool
HSC
And at the end of the day, it's the student, not the teachers and environment that most affect how students do. That's why you get a guy at Ruse getting 57, and you'll get a girl at Cherrybrook Technology getting 100.
Not necessarily. There is generally a much more learning-focused environment at a private school (Ruse is an exception to the rule), and the general impetus for achievement dominates, as opposed to a general impetus for just traipsing along through school. This may leave a few kids who don't really give a shit behind, but they will be in a very small minority. Public schools don't have the "money filter" which filters out kids who are going to be disruptive and not give a shit. Even the disruptive ones tend to be become not-so-disruptive as you hit Year 11, from my experiences.

Anyway, point of post: private school has better learning environment, therefore better opportunity for 'success' (if you wanna call getting a job and being a slave to the system of production 'success'). But i would agree that if the kid doesn't really want to put in then it is up to them, no amount of good schooling will turn them round.

You'd think parents would realise they were wasting their money and pull them out.

Aerath

Retired
HSC
N/A
Not necessarily. There is generally a much more learning-focused environment at a private school (Ruse is an exception to the rule), and the general impetus for achievement dominates, as opposed to a general impetus for just traipsing along through school. This may leave a few kids who don't really give a shit behind, but they will be in a very small minority. Public schools don't have the "money filter" which filters out kids who are going to be disruptive and not give a shit. Even the disruptive ones tend to be become not-so-disruptive as you hit Year 11, from my experiences.
I think you're wrong there. The selective schools of NSW, generally have a 'general impetus for achievement'. Even non 'selective schools' like Cherrybrook Tech, Homebush Boys and Strathfield Girls are known to do really well.

To be honest - given that you're a Tasmanian - I'm surprised you even know what Ruse is, let alone other quality Selective schools that make the Top 10 cut every year. If you look at the Top 10 schools from last year:

1. James Ruse Agricultural High School ..................................... 1110 ........... 834 .... 75.14
2. Baulkham Hills High School .............................................. 1220 ........... 651 .... 53.36
3. North Sydney Girls High School .......................................... 1039 ........... 550 .... 52.94
4. Sydney Girls High School ................................................ 1011 ........... 499 .... 49.36
5. Hornsby Girls High School ............................................... 718 ............ 336 .... 46.8
6. North Sydney Boys High School ........................................... 974 ............ 443 .... 45.48
7. Sydney Boys High School ................................................. 1287 ........... 576 .... 44.76
8. Sydney Grammar School ................................................... 1229 ........... 543 .... 44.18
9. SCEGGS Darlinghurst ..................................................... 628 ............ 277 .... 44.11
10. St George Girls High School Kogarah .................................... 942 ............ 410 .... 43.52

The Top 7 are all public schools. 8 out of the top 10 are public schools. Go figure.

Now frankly, I'm not saying public schools are any better than private schools. I'm just saying it's false to say that private schools have a 'more learning focused environment'.

Protein

HSC
I think you're wrong there. The selective schools of NSW, generally have a 'general impetus for achievement'. Even non 'selective schools' like Cherrybrook Tech, Homebush Boys and Strathfield Girls are known to do really well.

To be honest - given that you're a Tasmanian - I'm surprised you even know what Ruse is, let alone other quality Selective schools that make the Top 10 cut every year. If you look at the Top 10 schools from last year:

1. James Ruse Agricultural High School ..................................... 1110 ........... 834 .... 75.14
2. Baulkham Hills High School .............................................. 1220 ........... 651 .... 53.36
3. North Sydney Girls High School .......................................... 1039 ........... 550 .... 52.94
4. Sydney Girls High School ................................................ 1011 ........... 499 .... 49.36
5. Hornsby Girls High School ............................................... 718 ............ 336 .... 46.8
6. North Sydney Boys High School ........................................... 974 ............ 443 .... 45.48
7. Sydney Boys High School ................................................. 1287 ........... 576 .... 44.76
8. Sydney Grammar School ................................................... 1229 ........... 543 .... 44.18
9. SCEGGS Darlinghurst ..................................................... 628 ............ 277 .... 44.11
10. St George Girls High School Kogarah .................................... 942 ............ 410 .... 43.52

The Top 7 are all public schools. 8 out of the top 10 are public schools. Go figure.

Now frankly, I'm not saying public schools are any better than private schools. I'm just saying it's false to say that private schools have a 'more learning focused environment'.
Agree with your opinion.

Now need to distinguish the difference between which Private & Which Public we are talking about.

Private with 20K+ annually would have better library facility & teacher obviously, while similar situation with the 2 highs, north sydney boys & girls as well as baulkham, ruse & Hornsby.

The problem is if your kids can't get through the top selective, then the mid tear selective would be ok and you don't need to put in so much money. Another problem with non selective public are they do not have enough resources.

While in top Selective, top class there would practically study by themself, teacher just give them the subject outline/module then they figure out themself, and only ask when needed. So it is very relax for the top class teacher.

At top Private such as Grammar, the teachers got paid 30-100% more than their peers. This means they must perform well. Then Grammar & Abbotsleigh are private selective, obviously the ranking would be on the top end. While some other such as Trinity, Riverview, SHore, PLC Sydney, MLC, Ravenswood. they are all non selective, depends on when u register your son/daughter.

Bottom line is firstly check your location, then budget, then your kids ability.

Another point is the HeadMaster of the school play very important rule here, recently Ascham hijacked North Sydney Girls Head Master with few hundred K salary + Bonus. and you can see the the performance of the girls there increase dramatically.

Do your research properly before you choose.

No point to talk about the superiority of Top Private if the BUDGET not there:haha:

jules.09

HSC
The problem is if your kids can't get through the top selective, then the mid tear selective would be ok and you don't need to put in so much money. Another problem with non selective public are they do not have enough resources.

While in top Selective, top class there would practically study by themself, teacher just give them the subject outline/module then they figure out themself, and only ask when needed. So it is very relax for the top class teacher.
This is somewhat true. But even then, I know a lot of people who attend local selective schools because, frankly they can't be bothered to wake up at 5am each morning to travel for an hour and a half, and they're given the opportunity to do just as well.. Myself included. :)

Yes, a lot of teachers are slack etc, even in a selective school, but this demonstrates its the calibre of the students, and how much individual effort they put in. Non selective public schools don't have enough resources, true, but its a problem common to selective schools as well? Arguably, the private schools have more resources, but academically speaking, they are no where near as competitive as state selective.

It's going to be annoying with the lack of resources at school, but the essentials are there. If you want extra study, go out to a bookshop, or wait for the yr 12 book sale, buy the relevant books, and study.

MLC seems to have awesome grounds (4 times the size of my school?) when I was there for the career expo day, and ten times the facility. But it's also 4 times lower than my school rank. Haha.

Aerath

Retired
HSC
N/A
Another point is the HeadMaster of the school play very important rule here, recently Ascham hijacked North Sydney Girls Head Master with few hundred K salary + Bonus. and you can see the the performance of the girls there increase dramatically.
That is truth. SBHS hijacked Sefton's Principal in 2000, and we've done quite well since. Especially in English since 2004, when about 80% of our English department were replaced by the NSB English department.

jules.09

HSC
That is truth. SBHS hijacked Sefton's Principal in 2000, and we've done quite well since. Especially in English since 2004, when about 80% of our English department were replaced by the NSB English department.
Our head of English came from Reddam, and apparently our school went up 80-70 places if I remember correctly, for the last 2 years. Which is really brilliant. These rankings are intended to be stable haha.

Why Sefton's principal?

As for Ascham, yes that'd make sense. Ascham does alright for a private actually, but it's extremely expensive.

Aerath

Retired
HSC
N/A
I dunno - cause he has a metal thing + hook instead of a left arm? But like 2000 was like way before my time anyway, so I'm not sure.

Protein

HSC
MLC seems to have awesome grounds (4 times the size of my school?) when I was there for the career expo day, and ten times the facility. But it's also 4 times lower than my school rank. Haha.[/quote]

You haven't seen Kings (5 criket field, 20 soccer fields, 20 tennis courts, cross country). Joeys, Riverview, Shore, Pymble (10 soccer field size, nearly 2000 students, even have a golf course next door), Grammar (3 campus with huge grounds).

Well... High got huge fields in the city. Boat Shed. Shooting Team, Rugby, debating, chess, soccer, cricket, tennis, etc. etc... importantly, get a chance to see the girls next door.... :haha: I think it is the best.

Aerath

Retired
HSC
N/A
Kings has an entire suburb named after the school. That's cheating. :p

jules.09

HSC
MLC seems to have awesome grounds (4 times the size of my school?) when I was there for the career expo day, and ten times the facility. But it's also 4 times lower than my school rank. Haha.
You haven't seen Kings (5 criket field, 20 soccer fields, 20 tennis courts, cross country). Joeys, Riverview, Shore, Pymble (10 soccer field size, nearly 2000 students, even have a golf course next door), Grammar (3 campus with huge grounds).

Well... High got huge fields in the city. Boat Shed. Shooting Team, Rugby, debating, chess, soccer, cricket, tennis, etc. etc... importantly, get a chance to see the girls next door.... :haha: I think it is the best. [/quote]

Mmm, but I'm not dying of envy. I would never trade a place in a selective school that is high ranked for the "comfort" of a private school. I think, in a selective school environment, you are challenged intellectually, which is always exciting. :cool:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)