private ( catholic ) vs. PUBLIC (1 Viewer)

MiuMiu

Somethin' special....
HSC
Originally posted by glycerine
but for say, a 21 year old student - they can go screw themselves, i paid just as much as they did for this trip, and i happened to get there first.
No Im not saying for like a 21 year old student you should immediately jump up, but I still think if you're in uniform you should make sure everyone from the public has a seat before you do. But you might have different perceptions of courtesy, each to their own.

Lainee

HSC
Originally posted by cro_angel
mmm i went to a catholic school for primary and now a catholic private school... i love it
public school people annoy me.. on my bus there are people from public schools and they never stand up for people... i just think thats rude- i shouldnt be generalising but usually they are with groups of people and it must be 'uncool' to show some compassion for people who actually pay to get the bus home..
And contrastingly, you view people from catholic private schools as being more thoughtful to the plight of the seatless fee-paying passenger? :) People strangely make assumptions of other people based on what school they go to, it's like the new breed of 'racism' except on the basis of the suburb of their school, other people from their school, or rumours of that school.

If I had kids, I won't just choose a school because it's private, or another because it's public. I'll choose it based on merits that I think make a successful school environment for my kids. Merits differ from people, one advantage to one person may be a disadvantage to someone else. And obviously, cro_angel, one thing you value is politeness to adults, and thus you grade private schools higher because it offers an environment encouraging this. That doesn't necessarily mean that all other public schools don't encourage it, or that their students don't display it. :)

Going off on a tangent, did anyone watch Current Affair tonight? :) Two Sydney Girls ppl were talking. It probably isn't live is it? Cause they sound as though they were being cut off.

MissSavage29

Resident Priss
HSC
I go to a Catholic School and i love it, they work us so hard but in the end its worth it and we have the results to say they are doing a darn good job.

I chose to go to this school because of religious reasons and the fact that the public school here isn't too crash hot, its a 'super school' which just means there is like 250 students in each year - i would go mad if we had that many...I quite like having a smaller year of 100 or so because u know everyone and you can work better in small class numbers.

Xayma

Lacking creativity
HSC
N/A
I could never go to a catholic school I would spend as much time arguing with the teachers about religion as I would doing class work.

*girl04*

hey every1, how r u?
HSC
N/A
Originally posted by Ms 12
Um are you joking? I don't know whether to take this as a joke or serious. If its serious, then darling, you need to wake up to yourself.

No one sends their kid to a school making the decision purely on the basis of its price for a start. $30 000 IS NOT budget, its the best of the best. People who send their kids there are generally incredibly well off, or are making HUGE sacrifices to give their kids that type of education.

And whats this about kids who 'live it up'? What are you going on about....are you saying you'd like to pay $100 000 to go to a school with kids who fly first class overseas? Thats ALL you want out of your school? I seriously don't get it......?

Im just wondering if you realise the average Australian income is ~ $40 000 a year.....and you've practically just called people earning $100 000 a year POOR?? Im soooo confused?!

Im tellin ya now, NOWHERE in the world has a school that charges hundreds of thousands per year. I think you'll find that approx $50 000 is the most a private school anywhere asks, and that would be in England at a school like where Courtenay is at the moment.....

Deluded?
that type of education? so ur saying private is better. and courtenay went to a boarding school to work correct>? u have to pay etra to go though coz of like board money and styff

Mambomeg

yay! custom!!!
HSC
I went to a catholic school, but religion was never forced on us. We had school masses and stuff, and you had to attend, but really thats no diffeent to being forced to attend school assemblies. Not everyone who went there was catholic, in fact, we had a fair few muslims, some non-religious ppl, some athiests and stuff (it was an all girls school) Some teachers were hard core catholics, but most were just average joe's, and the teachers beliefs never interfered with their teaching. We had to do Studies of religion for the HSC but that was learning about all religions and the connnections between then, it wasnt catholicism based.
I went to a public school as well for a while, but i think the catholic school was a much closer knit community, we had grade retreats and stuf, like camps, and we had pastoral care in homerooms so you got to mix with all the grades below you and stuff.
We also had a really active social justice network, but that wasnt necessarily because we were catholic, it was becasue we had some decent teachers who ran it.
I liked my Catholic school, but i wouldnt avoid public schools, like if there were no catholic schools in my area i would have gone to a public school, i dont have a problem with them. BTW, my school fees were only like $3000 a year, so it wasnt a fully private school, just non-public, if that makes sense.

sneaker

None of you "pro-public" actually have a clear idea of what the Catholic Systemic System is about. Religious studies aren't incorporated into every class, not every teacher is catholic, nor is every student. I have been educated in that catholic eductaion system since Kindy and know for a fact that there is SOME emphasis on catholicism, i.e. a school mass per term, and the occasional pastoral care program, but the whole syllabus isn't taught with interwoven notions of religion.

I agree that there are good and bad public and private schools, and that there will always be, but here's a though: Where would the nsw education system be like without any selective schools? At the bottom of the list of the top schools in terms of hsc results, and presenting a mere ray of hope for the future.

on a similar note; anyone want to bunt on what ruse will be ranked when it changes to being semi-selective in a few years?

Lainee

HSC
I think I'm a bit 'pro-public', but from my primary school and several catholic and anglican schools around my area, I have a good indication of how they are run. It's not any particular dislike of private schools, they're great for people who like going to them, it's just that grading them higher than public schools makes me very anxious about the future of public education because I think it's something very worth preserving.

You made a good point though Sneaker, the Catholic schools system doesn't necessiate that the whole school life revolve around religion. But keep in mind that Catholic schools do not function dependantly - contrary, they receive instruction, or in less strict terms, advice on how to involve religion into the daily school life from higher religious authorities. In this way, they are required to uphold the values that particular religion stands for. So while you may have only a period of religious studies a week (or however much), values fundamental to Catholic belief are implemented into the school life in other wide-ranging areas. Let me put it this way, and I hope you can correct me if I'm wrong since you appear to be much more familiar with catholic school education than I, but if a debate arises in class about say homosexual marriage - a topic which the church has vocally refused to accept - or any other such topic where there is a conflict between church values and other's values, how would the teacher treat a student who opposes the church's views? Or if he/she questions some basic assumptions that church holds?

I know that belief in the religion is not a prerequisite in attending a Catholic school, but is there not an assumption that students have an acceptance or at least willingness to cooperate with religious ideals?

Anyway - about selective schools. Elitist schools catering to the needs of gifted students. That basically summarises them. :) I go to Sydney Girls, I'm glad that it's selective and I'm glad that it's public. lol, I'm sure Baulkam Hills would take it's turn at being 1st then, since I've heard that there are alot of transfers between them and Ruse. :)

But I'm sure if my post gets any longer it's not going to be read by many people. :p

Not-That-Bright

Andrew Quah
HSC
Well i go to a private school... my parents earn plenty, some of my friends are hella rich, yea sure some people's parents with less money can send their children there, but if you think that a school that costs $30,000 a year isn't enough (mine only costs 14,000 for me) I think you REALLY need to get off the internet, cause we're the poor people, the people that dont pay for cd's, the people that rip software.

I think you have to remember at these public schools, it isn't just the fee's you have to pay for pretty much EVERYTHING that goes on.

Seriously, Go get a job and we'll see how CHEAP $30,000 a year is.

Alot of people from private schools are smartasses that think they're heaps rich (like you) so act hard, However alot of people from public schools think they're tough cause they've made it big in ONE school.

I've been to both a public and private, public was more relaxed, but the facilities esp if ur doing computing or art are... terrible in most cases.

Last edited:

Lainee

HSC
Hmmm.. in your opinion Not-That-Bright, is the 14,000 a year worth the computing/art resources? To me, personally, it feels like such an awful waste of money. And I don't like to think of the kind of pressure you'ld have to maintain image in a school full of rich kids. In year 6, I was actually offered two scholarships from two well-known private schools - I refused mostly because I couldn't imagine my parents being able to afford things that must have seem comparatively little to everyone else in that school. For instance, my parents would have never been able to afford to get me a laptop which was compulsory in those schools, and I don't want to EVER feel pressured because I don't have the money or capacity to do things that my friends can. Even if no one will ever point it out, out of politeness, I don't want to ever put myself in a position where I would stand chance of feeling inadequate because I'm from a lower middle-income family.

KeypadSDM

B4nn3d
HSC
I've only ever been to Catholic Private schools, so I'm not fit to comment on whether or not it's better or worse than public schools. However, I must say that the facilities and grounds were awesome.

Not-That-Bright

Andrew Quah
HSC
Originally posted by Lainee
Hmmm.. in your opinion Not-That-Bright, is the 14,000 a year worth the computing/art resources? To me, personally, it feels like such an awful waste of money. And I don't like to think of the kind of pressure you'ld have to maintain image in a school full of rich kids. In year 6, I was actually offered two scholarships from two well-known private schools - I refused mostly because I couldn't imagine my parents being able to afford things that must have seem comparatively little to everyone else in that school. For instance, my parents would have never been able to afford to get me a laptop which was compulsory in those schools, and I don't want to EVER feel pressured because I don't have the money or capacity to do things that my friends can. Even if no one will ever point it out, out of politeness, I don't want to ever put myself in a position where I would stand chance of feeling inadequate because I'm from a lower middle-income family.
It's worth the resources, and also there are various donations in there. The teachers are the same, but for the most part... all of us want to do well, even those of us who mess about a bit, in class we usually all strive to do good.

Pressure from other people's incomes dun usually bother me cause i know my parents have plenty of money, i jus dun go flashing it around, But i suppose if i really didn't have much money it still wouldn't bother me less i started to get pity from people or something.

At public school i found, and still do find when im hanging arouind my public school friends they actually hastle me out about having more money than them.

miss_pie

HSC
Originally posted by Lainee
Even if no one will ever point it out, out of politeness, I don't want to ever put myself in a position where I would stand chance of feeling inadequate because I'm from a lower middle-income family.
my family doesn't have alot of money but they want a good education for me and my sister so they send me to a catholic school. none of us are catholic and most of it is barely absorbed. anyway back to my point... i think catholic schools are a good alternative for those who dont want their children going to public schools because they're generally not very expensive, mine is about 5 grand for yr 12. and so due to this, there is a wide range of economic status and no one is judged based upon it. private schools don't nessecarily discriminate based upon how much money one has anyway... thats an ignorant assumption to make if you've never experienced private schooling.

Truly_bored

HSC
I reckon that both Public and Private skool are good in their own way...and one thing that they both offer is education....

MiuMiu

Somethin' special....
HSC
I know not all Catholic schools incorporate religion throughout the curriculum, but many do (in particular my local ones), and although some of the ppl I know that go there really enjoy it, many don't and find it gets in the way of their learning.

Not-That-Bright

Andrew Quah
HSC
My schools very heavily christian, However i just ignore it. I think there are alot of good moral values that christianity teaches, so thats ok.

cro_angel

<3<3<3
HSC
well at my school we have to do religion for the hsc, we have a cross in every room, say prayer in homeroom every day and have masses/liturgies for special occasions (mercy day, christmas, easter etc)
i like it.. im a catholic person and i go to church every week and it doesnt really disadvantage me, i think if it really was bad alot of people wouldnt still be there..
Ms 12 >> which catholic schools dont incorporate religion? are u sure they arent just private not catholic.. because i thought every catholic school had to do it

Not-That-Bright

Andrew Quah
HSC
Nah i think she means instead of just one class... like at my school, when we're learning about 'evolution' they have to incorporate religion to make it all work together nicely :)

dark`secrets

<insert title>
HSC
N/A
i think it depends on more abt the individual and the way they want to learn.. that's what i think therefore any system would be the same. Of course being in a selective school has its advantages :)

btw attending public school

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)