private ( catholic ) vs. PUBLIC (1 Viewer)

snapperhead

Has decided to retire
HSC
N/A
chelloveck said:
i couldn't be fucked reading through this whole thread, so sorry if this has already been mentioned. has anyone seen that ad where they compare a catholic school and a private school and they say the public school 'reveices this much more funding', and it's an astronomical amount more than what the public school gets? well, what they didn't say there was, that the schools receive this much FEDERAL funding, while failing to mention the STATE funding each school gets, in which public always far exceeds private. and even when state and federal funding are added together, public schools get approximately twice as much.

i saw it done again in my local newspaper, and frankly, that pisses me off. that is blatent sensationalisation and distortion of facts. don't get me wrong, i'm not saying public schools don't need more funding, they probably do. but you'd think that the people campaigning for public school funding would have intentions to improve schooling in this country as a whole, rather than maipulate facts and deceive people, stirring up animosity between public and private people. i mean, are they trying to make it into a war? do they want to develop "us against them" mentalities between public and private people?
It has been mentioned before (by me and others) and I agree...its really wrong as it sets up an us and them mentality (as you mentioned). Scarey thing is that many ppl who post on this board believe it. Pity they dont see the other side of it when the state teachers union and the various political parties do a back flip when they need the support in the "private" sector. Then the real facts come out but they are quickly forgotten.... most of the figures also include teachers wages which naturally inflate the figures that the federal gov't is 'giving' to "private" schools...take out the salaries and you get the true per head figure of gov't spending and its just over half of what state schools get/head (from memory) btw..its a crappy figure for both systems....school fees make the difference.

Last edited:

porge

sorry, you've missed me
HSC
N/A
wrx said:
because there are only like 3 or 4 jewish schools in sydney
i never said they had to be jewish, i just dont understand the speicifying of catholic
there are many non-denominational (is that the right word?) priv schools

snapperhead

Has decided to retire
HSC
N/A
porge said:
i never said they had to be jewish, i just dont understand the speicifying of catholic
there are many non-denominational (is that the right word?) priv schools
Catholic schools are in the majority so ppl (mainly students) equate catholic with private ??? (just a guess) but as been said, there is no such thing as a "private catholic" school. Its just a term that someone has made up. The term for the system is "Independant" and there are many types of indie schools. Technically Catholic schools dont fit under the independant umbrella (they are a system unto themselves) but the non-systemic catholic schools (ie those still run by religious orders ie not a part of the system) like to maintain some sense of "independance" or separateness. It all revolves around who is in charge basically....

BTW the word is denominational not non-denominational!!
LOL

porge

sorry, you've missed me
HSC
N/A
yeah thanx snapperhead bout that denonminational thing i was kinda talking outta my ass, it sounded like something id heard before :) at least i got my context right :eek:

wrx what school you at?

porge

sorry, you've missed me
HSC
N/A
you think it would really make such a difference?
i know that people are often different in terms of class
and attitude is VERY different
but in the end, we all learn the same things, its just a matter of pushing urself harder i spose

afta???

HSC
i think both types teach u wat u need to learn but private just gives u some more ... ... attitude grooming n disciplining plus more moral stuffs

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)