• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

private ( catholic ) vs. PUBLIC (1 Viewer)

chelloveck

i'm feeling fat and sassy
fenner hall. perving on mcdickpants across the roa
HSC
i posted this in another thread, it's kinda on topic...just a little conversation starter:

in golbourn, about thirty years ago (i think) there were four catholic primary schools. the govt. introduced a new policy in which the catholic schools received less funding. in protest, the catholic schools all closed down and the children were left to try and find places at the two public schools...the public schools just couldn't provide for so many kids...

so my point (i think) is that if the govt. withdraws too much funding from private schools, the school fees will rise, and people will pull there kids out of private schools...this in turn will cost the govt. more money, because they are paying FULL school fees for the kids that have now entered the public schools, whereas before, there parents were paying the majority of these fees...

ameh

dirty trick
HSC
N/A
Originally posted by glycerine
no, really, why? if i catch a bus/train in the afternoon to get to an appointment or go out somewhere (i live within walking distance of my school), why should i have to stand up? granted, if it's an old/injured/pregnant/etc person, then whatever, of course i'll stand up. but for say, a 21 year old student - they can go screw themselves, i paid just as much as they did for this trip, and i happened to get there first.

lol i have a criteria for standing up for people, they have to be bald, ugly, pregnant and over 50 *telling by the white hair and wrinkles

^___^
HSC
Originally posted by Cyan_phoeniX
I agree. Being young and in school doesn't mean your a servant to the public. If you see a seat you take that dam seat!

If it's an old lady or someone who clearly can't stand for a long time, then it would be respectable to give them a seat, but anyone should be equally obliged to give them the seat.

what the...

chelloveck

i'm feeling fat and sassy
fenner hall. perving on mcdickpants across the roa
HSC
Originally posted by glycerine
well, i personally think all these "O, there is no respect in public schools, it's simply too rough for me" types are spoilt, rich snobs who need to live in the real world.

i went to a public school that wasn't in the best area for 4 years of primary school. i spent significant amounts from ages 4-12 of time in a high school most of you wouldn't last two minutes in with your current attitude. the only difference between that school and mine (a selective one) is that we don't have 'average' or below average kids. granted, we're also better behaved but that doesn't mean most people couldn't go to a normal public school and deal. it's just this idea that most public schools are filled with rough people running wild, and that's not the case.

do you think there is a reason for that misconception...?

snapperhead

Has decided to retire
HSC
N/A
Originally posted by chelloveck
i posted this in another thread, it's kinda on topic...just a little conversation starter:

in golbourn, about thirty years ago (i think) there were four catholic primary schools. the govt. introduced a new policy in which the catholic schools received less funding. in protest, the catholic schools all closed down and the children were left to try and find places at the two public schools...the public schools just couldn't provide for so many kids...
they were actually getting no money at all (funding for non-gov't schools disappeared in the Public Intruction Act-approx 1880 as it varied from colony to colony). Non-gov't schools received no funding at all until after the Goulbourn School strikes and then it was rather tokenistic- first real funding was for science amenities in the 1970's (??)
Got to remember that the Federal govt supplies $$ to non gov't schools ie state schools as in funding from the state gov't (they get their $$ from both federal and state (majority). Collective funding figures actually favour state run schools (as they should....) but ppl use figures at a federal level to say that non-gov't schools are getting more $$. (thats not to say that some private schools arenot getting heaps of $$ as was evidenced before the federal elections a couple of years ago-turned out though it was a lump sum type of arrangement that the schools had- shifty but above board!
The gov't all but acknowledged this when they changed from verbally bashing all non-gov't schools prior to the election to actually naming the "private school" system as the "bad guy" (people forget that there are more than 2 school systems in Australia)

I've taught in both state (selective, non-selective and country) and non-govt (Catholic Systemic) (was as student in both as well). They all vary but my worst experiences were in the state non-selective schools ("comprehensive??"). Even the gov't schools have levels of "privateness" if you think about it!
Food for thought

Sarah168

London Calling
HSC
on a completely different note here: uhh snapperhead, what subject do u teach?

Sarah168

London Calling
HSC
i was just curious, ill stop now cos i think im deviating away from the topic too much here

clairegirl

the name's Anne!
HSC
Originally posted by Ms 12
No obligation, but it is common courtesy. I went to a government school but its run like a private school and we aren't allowed to sit on public transport in our uniform. I think it should be the same for all schools.
what the hell?? how are u spose to get home?

OZGIRL86

stuck in a moment
HSC
N/A
I changed from a private school 2 a publ school for yrs 11 and 12,it was different, but the public school did have a bit of ago about private schools saying they spoonfeed their pupils, this and that.. but in my point of view, that is a load of crap , coz when i went to a priv school, i worked very hard to go well, i wasnt spoonfed. Also I think that private schools push you to excel more, and you feel more pressured to go well.. but who knows thats jus what i think.
oh and i thought most of the teachers in a pub high school were more easy going then the ones in a priv skool.. but i guess diff people all have diff personalities

Xayma

Lacking creativity
HSC
N/A
Originally posted by clairegirl
what the hell?? how are u spose to get home?
You can stand on public transport.

Tenax Propositi

there's just no oxygen
HSC
Originally posted by sneaker
None of you "pro-public" actually have a clear idea of what the Catholic Systemic System is about. Religious studies aren't incorporated into every class, not every teacher is catholic, nor is every student. I have been educated in that catholic eductaion system since Kindy and know for a fact that there is SOME emphasis on catholicism, i.e. a school mass per term, and the occasional pastoral care program, but the whole syllabus isn't taught with interwoven notions of religion.
I agree!

*hopeful*

HSC
well i used 2 go 2 a public primary skool n switched 2 a private high skool
i reckon a selective high skool is heaps better in terms of teachers n methods of teaching
compared 2 my friends who did hsc in public skools my teachers were more 'caring' i guess, like we were basically learningin a much better manner and getting more notes , sheets, papers etc

GemmaHavok

Suck my kiss
two floors down getting high in the backroom
HSC
Firstly.... Although I know they ARE State schools... I don't count selective schools as "public" because not just anyone can go there...

I think that Private/Catholic school education is better than public and as a whole, the marks show this. Really it's a matter of dicipline and the students motivation to work and do well...

I also think that (and I'm saying this generally) Private school students and more well behaved, polite and considerate than public school students.

snapperhead

Has decided to retire
HSC
N/A
from memory its about 80%/20% (this was a couple of years ago) so Im guessing its increased towards "private" schools because of the perceptions about funding
(ie more parents are sending their kids to non-govt schools because they reckon the schools get more $$)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)