Pope claims condoms aggravate AIDS (2 Viewers)

SAVAK

Banned
HSC
N/A
hey iron, honestly speaking, when you get married you will never use a condom? c'mon, stop pulling our leg by pretending to hold the moral high ground.

i find it hard to believe that you would never use a condom.

aussie-boy

HSC
can i just put it out there that the vast majority of catholics in Australia and around the world support the use of contraception, despite the official doctrines coming out of the vatican

in fact catholic nuns have been a major distributor of contraceptives in Africa in recent years

please direct your anger at the Pope and not at the religion in general

SnowFox

Premium Member
HSC
can i just put it out there that the vast majority of catholics in Australia and around the world support the use of contraception, despite the official doctrines coming out of the vatican

in fact catholic nuns have been a major distributor of contraceptives in Africa in recent years

please direct your anger at the Pope and not at the religion in general

I thought the pope was the religion, since what he says goes and all that jazz.

As for Nuns passing out contraception in africa, they failed. A fact book i read (I WAS BORED) said that they used brrom sticks to simulate the action of how to put them on. The nuns do random inspections and ask how they put it on, and guess waht they find.

A pregnat women and a broom stick with several latex covers.

Lentern

HSC
As a catholic i'd just like to say that if i'd had a vote in the conclave of cardinals I would not have voted for him.

Cookie182

Individui Superiore
HSC
N/A
Not knocking Christianity, but I much prefer the power of NOW. I mean, abstaining from a natural desire like sex completely until you get married (for one, how can you even guarantee this?) not just for 'moral' reasons (upon whom does consensual, safe sex harm?) but for avoidance of diseases like AID's is ludicrous. It is like never going surfing because you fear you might get eaten by a shark. Yet, there is a much higher probability (at least in Australia, helped through the use of condoms) that you WON'T get AID's.

Plus, you can wait for marriage, but sadly you could also die from a myriad of reasons tomorrow- car accident, random terrorism, sickness, natural disaster to simply name a few...

But hey, that's just my opinion, it's like the time value of money- people have a positive preference towards immediate consumption, I just feel the same way about sex. A root today is worth more then a 'proposed' root in the future...

SAVAK

Banned
HSC
N/A
Islam will conquer the world and the catholic church is scared. LOLZ

gurusson

HSC
In this situation, the pope is sadly deluded. how can condoms cause aids. although apparently, some people turn condoms inside out and re-use them:confused:. in this case they then do nothing

Nebuchanezzar

Banned
HSC
It's not the Pope's fault. It was written in English and the German man couldn't understand what was going on. :( :(

sunsettah

HSC
I haven't read through the conversation.
I guess what he's trying to say is that condoms will cause people in Africa, for example, to have more sex - rather than restraining themselves. (which is what the Church wants, and why they don't like condoms.)

With condoms not being 100% protection, people would almost definately increase the amount of sex they're having - but it is not without risk.. and if done improperly, COULD increase the HIV spread because people are having more sex on the grounds of 'It's okay now."

In realistic terms, if these people are aware of - and practice - the propper use of condoms for STD spread prevention, then it should decrease the spread of HIV.

Nebuchanezzar

Banned
HSC
if you want to be realistic, of course!

but truthfully, if africans weren't having sex then there'd be no std's

sunsettah

HSC
Mm. Religion wants no condoms, because they want people only to have sex in the traditional sense - for breeding purposes only.

This is stupid, and just won't work in today's society for non-christians.

Not much we can do except give condoms really..

Or cut off their wee-wees..

aussie-boy

HSC
is this true? can we have a link plz because it's actually fairly startling if it is true. In a good way.
Soz its really hard to find the original article that I read atm, since all the search results relate to the recent words of the pope.

But, I did find this which mentions the following:

But there’s also evidence that a pragmatic approach is being taken by some Catholic clergy working on the front line of HIV service delivery. Speaking at a UNAIDS press conference in London prior to the 2004 International AIDS Conference, Dr Peter Piot, head of UNAIDS and himself a Catholic, provided an example of such pragmatism. He described meeting Catholic nuns in southern Africa who were distributing condoms to women. When Dr Piot asked them how they could distribute condoms in defiance of official Vatican teaching, one of the nuns replied "Rome is a long way away".

moll.

Learn to science.
HSC
I haven't read through the conversation.
I guess what he's trying to say is that condoms will cause people in Africa, for example, to have more sex - rather than restraining themselves. (which is what the Church wants, and why they don't like condoms.)

With condoms not being 100% protection, people would almost definately increase the amount of sex they're having - but it is not without risk.. and if done improperly, COULD increase the HIV spread because people are having more sex on the grounds of 'It's okay now."

In realistic terms, if these people are aware of - and practice - the propper use of condoms for STD spread prevention, then it should decrease the spread of HIV.
The fail rate for condoms is less than 2 per cent. Which means that they would have to be having sex at least 50 times more often, for there to be at least an equal chance of contracting HIV than if they did not use the condoms. Considering the chance of condom failure is even lower, it would mean that that number is higher.
Hands up who thinks it realistic that they would be having sex 50 times more often?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)