Pope claims condoms aggravate AIDS (1 Viewer)

whatashotbyseve

It all counts
HSC
Pope Benedict XVI has every right to express his opposition to the use of condoms on moral grounds, in accordance with the official stance of the Roman Catholic Church. But he deserves no credence when he distorts scientific findings about the value of condoms in slowing the spread of the AIDS virus.

As reported on Tuesday by journalists who accompanied the pope on his flight to Africa, Benedict said that distribution of condoms would not resolve the AIDS problem but, on the contrary, would aggravate or increase it. The first half of his statement is clearly right. Condoms alone won’t stop the spread of H.I.V., the virus that causes AIDS. Campaigns to reduce the number of sexual partners, safer-sex practices and other programs are needed to bring the disease to heel.

But the second half of his statement is grievously wrong. There is no evidence that condom use is aggravating the epidemic and considerable evidence that condoms, though no panacea, can be helpful in many circumstances.

From an individual’s point of view, condoms work very well in preventing transmission of the AIDS virus from infected to uninfected people. The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention cites “comprehensive and conclusive” evidence that latex condoms, when used consistently and correctly, are “highly effective” in preventing heterosexual transmission of the virus that causes AIDS. The most recent meta-analysis of the best studies, published by the respected Cochrane Collaboration, concluded that condoms can reduce the transmission of the AIDS virus by 80 percent.

However, both groups warned that condom use cannot provide absolute protection. Condoms sometimes break, slip or are put on incorrectly. The best way to avoid transmission of the virus is to abstain from sexual intercourse or have a long-term mutually monogamous relationship with an uninfected person.

From a national perspective, condom promotion has been effective in slowing epidemics in several countries among high-risk groups, such as sex workers and their customers, but less effective in slowing epidemics that have spread into the general population, as in much of sub-Saharan Africa. That is probably because far too few people use condoms consistently and correctly.

Even so, health authorities consider condoms a valuable component of any well-rounded program to prevent the spread of AIDS. It seems irresponsible to blame condoms for making the epidemic worse.
Source: New York Times editorial.

EDIT: Have changed article to something with more contextual analysis.

The maxim 'I will defend your right to say something, no matter how much I disagree with it' springs to mind here.

Last edited:

gcchick

Come at me bro
HSC
Uni Grad
Re: Condoms aggravate AIDS

omfgomfgomfg

so he'd rather have all these people die of aids in africa due to a lack of prevention, than prevent it?

confirmation that the pope (and catholicism) is a tosser.

Scissors

HSC

the pope is a dope.

god that's good.

Graney

Horse liberty
HSC

Please provide links when you're quoting articles, especially if you're going to create a new thread

If you could find the article and edit the original post, that would be appreciated. Otherwise I'll have to close this thread.

Also, try to be more descriptive and informative in your thread titles. WHO said condoms aggravate aids?

That's a pretty crap article in all. I'm sure you could easily find something better written by the Vatican that's anti-condoms. Find something with a description of how and why it's worsening the problem.

Lift your game.

whatashotbyseve

It all counts
HSC

Please provide links when you're quoting articles, especially if you're going to create a new thread

If you could find the article and edit the original post, that would be appreciated. Otherwise I'll have to close this thread.

Also, try to be more descriptive and informative in your thread titles. WHO said condoms aggravate aids?

That's a pretty crap article in all. I'm sure you could easily find something better written by the Vatican that's anti-condoms. Find something with a description of how and why it's worsening the problem.

Lift your game.
I have added a link for your perusal. Also, since it was placed in LAON rather than NCAP itself should have been a pointer.

You have already changed the title; I have no major objection to your alternations. My media background makes me inclined to want people to click links to find out more, I guess.

Your last two comments I find specious. It deliberately didn't post an article, but rather the gist of its context. The Telegraph had more analysis, for example. The less said about 'lift your game', the better. Let's leave it at that.

Graney

Horse liberty
HSC
The rules regarding referencing all articles still apply in L&OB.

The last two comments are my opinion. It's entirely up to you what you want to make of it.

whatashotbyseve

It all counts
HSC
It's the lift your game comment that I have an issue with. Well, not so much of an issue, but it's a very deliberate and personal use of words. Implying I have done something majorly wrong prior.

Or there is option B, I have read too much into it and you are just judiciously policing your threads. It's a tough job modding at times, I assume. So, I am going to forgot this ever happened, save for acknowledging that next time all articles and quotes be properly referenced, and move on.

Graney

Horse liberty
HSC
That particular comment was unnecessarily personal and tactless, I apologize.

Lukybear

HSC
I think the meaning of the pope was, "get married and have sex with ONE person" rather then "have sex with anyone you want, but not wear condoms." Because logically i think, religious doctrine of having sex after marriage is GREATER then never wearing condoms.

Perhaps if anyone asked him, if getting married with someone who have aids, justify wearing condoms, he would probably say yes.

Lukybear

HSC
^^ I doubt that. Those who follow catholicism isnt likely to have RANDOM sex with everybody. Meaning, one partner, who they can trust and know *ahem condition.

Those who actually are in risk of aids, probably wouldnt listen to him anywaz.

Will Shakespear

mumbo magic
HSC
^^ I doubt that. Those who follow catholicism isnt likely to have RANDOM sex with everybody. Meaning, one partner, who they can trust and know *ahem condition.

Those who actually are in risk of aids, probably wouldnt listen to him anywaz.
oh ok, i'll just tell the millions of people in south america and sub saharan africa that luckybear says they probably wouldn't listen to the pope, that should help

Graney

Horse liberty
HSC
I think the meaning of the pope was, "get married and have sex with ONE person" rather then "have sex with anyone you want, but not wear condoms." Because logically i think, religious doctrine of having sex after marriage is GREATER then never wearing condoms.
That's a nice Utopian ideal, but it goes completely against human nature. Life-long monogamy is unnatural, and it's a joke to expect it on a population level.

Everyone errs. If they're going to make mistakes, harm minimization is essential.

Iron

Ecclesiastical Die-Hard
HSC
AIDS "is a tragedy that cannot be overcome by money alone, that cannot be overcome through the distribution of condoms, which even aggravates the problems," the pontiff said.

The solution lies in a "spiritual and human awakening" and "friendship for those who suffer", he said.

---

There's nothing wrong with the statement. The false commercial promise of unlimited pleasure with no (repeat, no) consequences is damaging to humanity. 'Condoms' are not an answer to anything but an irresponsible desire to give free reign to lust

Lukybear

HSC
oh ok, i'll just tell the millions of people in south america and sub saharan africa that luckybear says they probably wouldn't listen to the pope, that should help
Well if they do listen to the pope, then they wouldnt have sex before marriage. Meaning safe sex...

That's a nice Utopian ideal, but it goes completely against human nature. Life-long monogamy is unnatural, and it's a joke to expect it on a population level.

Everyone errs. If they're going to make mistakes, harm minimization is essential.
... I've known christians to have life long monogamy, its perfectly normal. The "naturality" of the subject, is based on another discussion about religion, so i shouldnt dwell on that.

I must also admit that everybody make mistakes. And it is unrealistic to expect such on population. But then again, the pope's comments isnt going to change much... There is almost impossible for say someone on this board to take in the popes comments to effect, true?

Nebuchanezzar

Banned
HSC
Why did you delete my post Graney?

The idea that you would close a thread because of a lack of linkage shows, and your subsequent deletion of a post highlighting this issue needs to be known.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)