POLL: Is it fair that teachers are allowed to teach at their child's school ? (1 Viewer)

Is it fair that teachers are allowed to teach at their child's school ?

• Yes

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No

• It depends (please specify)

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

yups

HSC
What about in rural schools where they have to?

Fuck you city kids are dumb.
in my edit like an hour ago i wrote "edit: but i guess this could vary across other schools so i'm not saying it's the same at every school :)"

i realise that it depends on the circumstances . . but in my reply i was talking about my own school .

meilz92

where are my hair
HSC
Uni Grad
Meilz if the parents want to tutor their kid in their subjects out of school hours that is their business. I see nothing wrong with that, as long as the marking isn't skewed in their favour.

i guess... but i wish i had help at home like that. my mum stopped high school after year 9 because she needed to help run her parents business, and my dad didnt go to school in australia, so neither of them were much help

not that it makes a difference now

red-butterfly

HSC
i think its fair enough well except when we were doing trials.

my friend's parents both are maths teachers and marked papers at home... so in other words she had the solutions to the 2 unit and 3 unit maths catholic paper, which seemed unfair but yet again they dont teach at our school so i guess thats ok?

justinw

HSC
At their child's school? Of course, it makes no sense that they shouldn't be allowed within the bounds of the same school..
at my school (primary) there was always this mole in the class whos grandmar tought her and she got favorited soo bad, and rubbed it in to us and treated us like shit, i wanna kill that bitch:vcross:

GabsU

HSC
We have a teacher who has 2 girls.. they both top his class EVERY year... conseqence?... maybe. There are other students who generally deserve to get better scores...

chevlr

HSC
my maths teacher's son in my maths class and it's perfectly fine; he doesn't give him any special treatment in class - if anything he probably goes harder on his son because he wants him to learn, and in fact it's better for everyone because my teacher can get feedback on how he's teaching cos if he's going too fast or slow his son tell him.
though i guess it is maths, so you'd have to be trying really hard to be biased in marking.

Last edited:

BlackDragon

HSC
I really can't believe 25% of people don't want a parent and their child to be within the same school. Maybe not in the same class, but in the same school? They would have nothing to do with each other.

yups

HSC
Is there anything wrong with this?
well i believe that when it reaches the point when the child is favoured by the other teachers (like what has happened at my school), then i do think that there's something wrong with it .

iRuler

Premium Member
HSC
Uni Grad
well i believe that when it reaches the point when the child is favoured by the other teachers (like what has happened at my school), then i do think that there's something wrong with it .
Other teachers should give a crap about a son/daughter of another teacher. It should be the opposite really, even the own teacher should even talk to their child.

pman

Banned
HSC
our head maths teachers daughter was in my grade, he made a point of teacher U maths (though he normally taught 4U) so he wouldn't mark any of her papers (she did 4U)

Aerath

Retired
HSC
N/A
I think you're a little unfairly harsh on teachers. I'd be willing to say most, if not all teachers, would be able to maintain some sense of impartiality. Even if they don't, who cares?

HSC
Yeah, I don't see the problem with it. Generally, the school will take precautions, and make sure parent doesn't teach child, or teach in the same grade, and when it comes to writing the exams (which the child will be sitting), the parent doesn't normally get involved and the onus is on the other teachers.

And when it comes to parent teaching child at home, that's their business, I see nothing wrong with it. After all, if one of my parents were a teacher (at my school or any other), I'd definitely be seeking their help.

Think of the downside too. It may cause embarassment for one of the two, and students may get bullied because of their parents. It's not as great as it's made out to be.

auriga

HSC
Yeh, the school usually doesn't let the teacher teach their child, so there's nothing wrong with it.

Darnie

mad cunt
HSC
Mum worked at the same school as i went to in primary school, even taught me for library. She was overly harsh on me because she didn't want to seem too easy on me :(

I was always shit scared of getting in trouble because mum would always find out and i'd get a belting that night as well as punishment at school :(

HSC
Uni Grad
I only saw this in primary school, and all the kids that had their parents teach at my school were fucked up (very poor behaviour, pretty dumb in class etc).
Although I can't see a valid reason why parents shouldn't be allowed to teach at their kids school, I almost certainly wouldn't do it.

nutcracker

the restaurant at the end of the universe.
HSC
I went to the same school that my mum taught at and got kinda preferential treatment. BUT, the circumstances were very different to what you'd expect:
(a) I was in year 3, (b) I wasn't in my mum's class, (c) The school in question was in a third-world country and (d) The preferrential treatment was stuff like, not getting beaten by that looong stick the teacher had which "technically wasn't a cane" because the other teachers were afraid I would tell my mum and etc etc.

But of course, that's very different to Australia.
I personally agree with what most people are saying here, I think it's okay, as long as the teacher doesn't mark the students' work. But it's okay if it's like.. annonymous marking like in senior years. With teaching their kids at home, I don't see anything wrong with it, it's like having a tutor.. for free :D

meilz92

where are my hair
HSC
Uni Grad
a point supporting why teachers should be allowed to teach at their kids school. I dont have a problem with it, as long as the kid isnt marked more easily cos of their parent/parents, hard to monitor this though

...double marking papers with another teacher?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)