poem titles (1 Viewer)

black_man

Chuck lives here
HSC
thats really interesting, that really does sound like a beat poet sort of philosophy

back on the topic of titles though, has anyone found a title for their whole MW yet?

physician

Some things never change.
HSC
black_man said:
thats really interesting, that really does sound like a beat poet sort of philosophy

back on the topic of titles though, has anyone found a title for their whole MW yet?

lol.. i havn't even thought about my MW title....

I'll leave all my titles till after my major work is complete...

hmmm... i need something interesting... something new, unique something abosrbant... something that will inspire something that will give u the urge to go out and struggle to achieve in what u believe....

cruel intellect

HSC
physician said:
lol.. i havn't even thought about my MW title....

I'll leave all my titles till after my major work is complete...

hmmm... i need something interesting... something new, unique something abosrbant... something that will inspire something that will give u the urge to go out and struggle to achieve in what u believe....
absorbant? how about 'toilet tissue'.... back to the question of titles for the whole MW, i do have a title that i decided on a few days ago, however as my work is divided into three groups each group has their own title, and each poem has its own title too... so there is a LOT of titles.
peace...NM

physician

Some things never change.
HSC
cruel intellect said:
absorbant? how about 'toilet tissue'.... back to the question of titles for the whole MW, i do have a title that i decided on a few days ago, however as my work is divided into three groups each group has their own title, and each poem has its own title too... so there is a LOT of titles.
peace...NM
hmmm... toliet tissue is and intersting suggestiong.. but it's too typical....

cruel intellect

HSC
physician said:
hmmm... toliet tissue is and intersting suggestiong.. but it's too typical....
Toilet tissue: too typical? typical of what?.. something that is absorbant? How about 'Sponge', 'Mop', 'Chux wipe' or 'Dunny paper'?
peace

black_man

Chuck lives here
HSC
i've been lucky enough to have kept the same title throughout the entire major work process (it's in my signature):

earthquakes guitars good vibrations

(there should be spaces there, otherwise it makes no sense...)

cruel intellect

HSC
black_man said:
i've been lucky enough to have kept the same title throughout the entire major work process (it's in my signature):

earthquakes guitars good vibrations

(there should be spaces there, otherwise it makes no sense...)
nice title.... as we are in the mood of sharing titles my overall title is 'The Set List:'
but the sections are 'Our mutilation is to gain from the system', 'the pen: my weapon of choice' and 'we'll float away without a sound' {section 1 is a line from 'The sky is a landfill' J.Buckley, and section 3 is from 'a song called everything' Powderfinger}
peace

black_man

Chuck lives here
HSC
cruel intellect said:
nice title.... as we are in the mood of sharing titles my overall title is 'The Set List:'
but the sections are 'Our mutilation is to gain from the system', 'the pen: my weapon of choice' and 'we'll float away without a sound' {section 1 is a line from 'The sky is a landfill' J.Buckley, and section 3 is from 'a song called everything' Powderfinger}
peace

that really has a musical feel to it aswell.....'the set list'....does the middle title have any relation to 'pistola' from incubus? ...it's a fountain of youth, and a patriots weapon of choice...my pen is a pistola ?

just thoughts really

666_blessings

Hi! I'm Alan...
HSC
I'm not entirely sure what the suite title will be for mine, but i've got my poems split into three sub-sections called: 'the age of innocence', 'the age of turmoil' and 'the age of estrangement'. Any suggestions for suite title?

cruel intellect

HSC
black_man said:
that really has a musical feel to it aswell.....'the set list'....does the middle title have any relation to 'pistola' from incubus? ...it's a fountain of youth, and a patriots weapon of choice...my pen is a pistola ?

just thoughts really
hey i never thought of the Incubus connection... however seeing as my friend is a HUGE incubus fan and is forever shoving an earphone my way to listen to the boys in our frees then it is no surprise that i unconsciously retained that pen: pistol: weapon connection.
peace

Last edited:
HSC
cruel intellect said:
peace
I refuse to support or discourage you in what you choose to do with your major work. But I'd like to point out that your idea could pose a multitude of problems, for a number of reasons.

Firstly, if you're going to create your own suite of poems, why would you make them appear as an extension of someone else's 'poems' (the distinction between lyrics and poetry can be extremely fudgey)? It not only destroys the originality of the theme/idea, it takes away from your artistic merit.

Secondly, if you're going to allude to something, you'll have to explain yourself thoroughly in the Reflection Statement. 1500 words maximum might seem like a lot, but once you've explained your choice of medium, topic, inspiration, style of writing, techniques, experimental successes and failures, purpose, audience, links to the Advanced or Extension courses, taking out another few paragraphs to explain your sub-titles could be very costly.

Most importantly, if you don't acknowledge the contribution of others to your work along with an explanation, you're risking your entire major work failing on the grounds of plagiarism. And with popular artists like Jeff Buckley and Powderfinger, it's really quite likely.

cruel intellect

HSC
whiterabbit said:
I refuse to support or discourage you in what you choose to do with your major work. But I'd like to point out that your idea could pose a multitude of problems, for a number of reasons.

Firstly, if you're going to create your own suite of poems, why would you make them appear as an extension of someone else's 'poems' (the distinction between lyrics and poetry can be extremely fudgey)? It not only destroys the originality of the theme/idea, it takes away from your artistic merit.

Secondly, if you're going to allude to something, you'll have to explain yourself thoroughly in the Reflection Statement. 1500 words maximum might seem like a lot, but once you've explained your choice of medium, topic, inspiration, style of writing, techniques, experimental successes and failures, purpose, audience, links to the Advanced or Extension courses, taking out another few paragraphs to explain your sub-titles could be very costly.

Most importantly, if you don't acknowledge the contribution of others to your work along with an explanation, you're risking your entire major work failing on the grounds of plagiarism. And with popular artists like Jeff Buckley and Powderfinger, it's really quite likely.
Relax... I am fully aware that what I am doing requires referencing. but I’d like to point out that these lines are only the titles of my sub-sections, the use of a lyric is intentional and relates to one of my key aims {that of blurring the distinctions between song and performance poetry, and between lyric and poem}. Also the lines help give meaning to the poems in each sub-section, those lines are just a general title for the sub section, something that links not only to the aforementioned aim, but to my research, inspiration and initial concepts.
My poems are not an extension of another's work, nor are they based on the titles of the sub-sections. However I’ll use the example of the Jeff Buckley line to explain my meaning; 'Our mutilation is to gain from the system', think about that? What does it mean? To me it’s the individual gain, as well as the mass political and economic gains from the abuse of the systems, of institutions, and of the environment. the poems in this section are basically questioning our social institutions and ideologies, I did not base my poems on this one line, however Buckley is able to describe most bluntly that the government, the Man’s ultimate failing is to gain wrongly from our society {like mining uranium to make nuclear weapons and in the process destroying the earth and the indigenous peoples’ connection to the land, whilst the end result is a deadly weapon}....
Explaining the significance of each title is not that difficult, I am aware of just how much stuff I need to be compacted into my RS, and there is a wonderful invention called the footnote and bibliography which allows us to acknowledge things such as these lines turned sub-section titles which you slander.
I thankyou, however I am perfectly happy and contented with their significance, meaning, acknowledgement, and know that they do not detract from the artistic merit of my work. Thankyou kindly.
Peace...NM

HSC
cruel intellect said:
one of my key aims {that of blurring the distinctions between song and performance poetry, and between lyric and poem}. Also the lines help give meaning to the poems in each sub-section, those lines are just a general title for the sub section.
You should probably talk over the poem/lyric thing with your teacher. It's dangerous. All sorts of complications come in, when your teacher and the marker has to check you up on work that you've done in subjects like music and drama in your Prelim and HSC years

I never said that you lacked artistic merit due to your choice of title, but i was just suggesting that the marker might think so. Alluding to a line is one thing, but to base your title around someone else's work IS a little bit suss and does imply that the writer is leeching off someone else's ideas. Imagine if you were the marker.

cruel intellect said:
Explaining the significance of each title is not that difficult, I am aware of just how much stuff I need to be compacted into my RS, and there is a wonderful invention called the footnote and bibliography which allows us to acknowledge things such as these lines turned sub-section titles which you slander.
I know it's not difficult, it's just costly. The actual referencing will take up nothing. About 10 words. It's the explanation of it's importance, context and meaning which will chew up your word count. If you don't do enough, then you're up for plagiarism, as well as losing marks for originality. I had to waste about 200 words explaining an allusion to a line by Dostoevsky, and my teacher was deadset against it. To her, it was worth cutting the entire four poems out just so i wouldn't have wasted so much space in my Reflection. I'm advising you to reconsider because wish I had taken her advice.

Needless to say, I'm just a third opinion.

cruel intellect

HSC
whiterabbit said:
You should probably talk over the poem/lyric thing with your teacher. It's dangerous. All sorts of complications come in, when your teacher and the marker has to check you up on work that you've done in subjects like music and drama in your Prelim and HSC years

I never said that you lacked artistic merit due to your choice of title, but i was just suggesting that the marker might think so. Alluding to a line is one thing, but to base your title around someone else's work IS a little bit suss and does imply that the writer is leeching off someone else's ideas. Imagine if you were the marker.
the poems are not lyrics, its the music aspect of the performance and use of the voice {not singing} that im more concerned with. my poems are nothing like a song lyric, unless of course your talking about some more obscure Velvet Underground lyrics which are more like poetry anyway.
i dont do music or drama, so there is no problem regarding that. I am not alluding to any lines written by another artist in any of my poems, the use of a song lyric as a sub section heading is simply to marry the concept of song and performance into my performance.
Everyone i have talked to about what we are currently discussing (teachers, hsc markers, poets, lyricists, friends, musicians, writers... the list goes on) has not mentioned anything that you have, other than proper referencing, i am concise in my RS and believe me, there is nothing i fear, but thankyou none the less for your concern. perhaps as you dont know my whole concept or havent read my poetry then you are only coming from a limited view point, however the tips re the RS are helpful, although ive allready drafted it.
peace

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)