poem titles (1 Viewer)

cruel intellect

HSC
black_man said:
yeah, they struck me as sort of beat poet titles aswell, they look really similar to the titles on several of the poetry forums and things like that. it seems to have a real street feel to it, very strong connotations of words and activism about it, almost like de la rocha or someone like that
Activism... That is exactly what half my poems turn out to be... questioning our social institutions and ideologies.

cruel intellect

HSC
666_blessings said:
I've been told a million times to avoid angst at all costs. It's killing my word count!
i dont think its wrong or anything if one uses their angst in their work, if its not cliche... if the feeling is right and the poem works then i keep the angst, if it sounds to teenage then i scrap it.
Paul Dempsy sings it best: "your not the first to think that everything has been thought before"
Embrace the revolution of the neo-beat, the vanguard of the new century {does that make sense?... neeed coffee.....mmmmm caffine}
peace

666_blessings

Hi! I'm Alan...
HSC
cruel intellect said:
i dont think its wrong or anything if one uses their angst in their work, if its not cliche... if the feeling is right and the poem works then i keep the angst, if it sounds to teenage then i scrap it.
Paul Dempsy sings it best: "your not the first to think that everything has been thought before"
Embrace the revolution of the neo-beat, the vanguard of the new century {does that make sense?... neeed coffee.....mmmmm caffine}
peace
I always thought teen angst was the only variety. Assuming there are other variants that i don't know about, they should be wonderful. I'm in need of some coffee myself.

black_man

Chuck lives here
HSC
teen angst might mean angst concerning issues prominent in teenagers, i'm not sure, someone can correct me if they feel i'm incorrect, but maybe people like The Used might be sort of exponents of teen angst, whereas maybe someone like Rob Thomas (on albums like yourself or someone like you) is probably more of a maturer version of angst)

HSC
Although a lot of teachers might tell you not to write bleak angsty pieces, or soppy romance song lyrics, I strongly disagree.

I think if you're not original, you should avoid doing poetry altogether.

But there should be no 'don't do this' on any topic or any tone. As long as you can pull it off, nothing should be off limits.

black_man

Chuck lives here
HSC
whiterabbit said:
Although a lot of teachers might tell you not to write bleak angsty pieces, or soppy romance song lyrics, I strongly disagree.

But there should be no 'don't do this' on any topic or any tone. As long as you can pull it off, nothing should be off limits.
wow, yeah, that is exactly the truth

cruel intellect

HSC
whiterabbit said:

black_man said:
wow, yeah, that is exactly the truth
Exactly. why would we be doing this subject if there wasnt something in our writing?
oh, and Black Man... did you hear about The Used show, they played a 44 min set and punters had been previously told in Blunt magazine to prepare to get their pants blown off or heads ripped off or the like and yet they (The Used) did neither... such a build up, such a shame.
peace

cruel intellect

HSC
and by 'teenage' i mean 'oh he hates me... now im going to slit my wrists that the 'love of my life' has just dumped me...' that sort of thing.
peace

666_blessings

Hi! I'm Alan...
HSC
whiterabbit said:
I agree that nothing should be off limits, this is art after all. My point was just that angst is very difficult to write well.

HSC
My favourite submission:

I remember searching for these odd bits and pieces in random libraries. But i came across a teacher's book for ext 2 english. In poetry, under a "typical band e1 response":

"I love u
Yes i do
i was blue
but then i met u"

... and it goes on... I cracked up laughing so bad.

cruel intellect

HSC
whiterabbit said:
My favourite submission:

I remember searching for these odd bits and pieces in random libraries. But i came across a teacher's book for ext 2 english. In poetry, under a "typical band e1 response":

"I love u
Yes i do
i was blue
but then i met u"

... and it goes on... I cracked up laughing so bad.

oh that was gold! why the hell would someone write something so, so, boring?! no ambiguity, no originality, no.... *falls off chair laughing*
peace

physician

Some things never change.
HSC
just going back to the title of this thread...

ummm

I don't actually have any offical titiles for my poems...

i like to write my poems first and then once they're complete i'll give each its own titile...

I feel that if i was to give my poems headings it results in the headings shaping my poems rather than my poems shaping my headings.. and personally i like to experiment with the latter...

currently i only give each poem a 'fake' title... just to make life easier when i refer to my work in class or in my log book...

get_born

nah im stuck...well not necessarily stuck more rather no time to do everything...as v art is taking up my life!!!! My teacher hates me at the moment and its kinda depressing....he said he is impressed with everyone's progress except me...but i worked my butt off earlier this year...i dont have trouble with time management, its just that i have very limited time.

HSC
cruel intellect said:
oh that was gold! why the hell would someone write something so, so, boring?! no ambiguity, no originality, no.... *falls off chair laughing*
peace
Not only, it typed 'lyk dis da hole way thru. it was gr8'.

Back on topic,
Do you guys think of a name before you write the poem? Or do you write a poem and then think of a name?

Last year i went through an e.e. cummings phase and i gave all my poems numbers instead of names.

get_born

whiterabbit said:
Not only, it typed 'lyk dis da hole way thru. it was gr8'.

Back on topic,
Do you guys think of a name before you write the poem? Or do you write a poem and then think of a name?

Last year i went through an e.e. cummings phase and i gave all my poems numbers instead of names.
i give titles, and as the poem progresses the name may change several times...numbering sounds like a time saving technique...might try that.

black_man

Chuck lives here
HSC
whiterabbit said:

i've experienced a combination of both. some works i begin with a title, which is often derived from a line or stanza that is the origin of the poem, or sometimes i might finish a work and look for either an unrelated title or one that is based on an expression in the poem. I feel the title is really important because it can be used to provide definition to the work or allude to it's subject matter. Very often i feel the connotation of the title can really affect the feeling within a work

cruel intellect

HSC
when im writing my poems are completely nameless, i'll refer to them as 'the one about that thing...', then i moved onto numbers once i had actually finished writing and was editing, now that im starting to work out the order in which i'll perform them im giving them 'working titles' which will most likely change again. i cant start with a title, its yoo restricting!
peace

physician

Some things never change.
HSC
cruel intellect said:
when im writing my poems are completely nameless, i'll refer to them as 'the one about that thing...', then i moved onto numbers once i had actually finished writing and was editing, now that im starting to work out the order in which i'll perform them im giving them 'working titles' which will most likely change again. i cant start with a title, its yoo restricting!
peace
ohhh that is soo true...

black_man

Chuck lives here
HSC
cruel intellect said:
peace

does that mean that without an initial title, its sort of more liberating in the sense that theres a real freedom of expression and that you can sort of take the poem anywhere you like?

cruel intellect

HSC
black_man said:
does that mean that without an initial title, its sort of more liberating in the sense that theres a real freedom of expression and that you can sort of take the poem anywhere you like?
yeah, that way my poems end up evolving without any set subject or whatever, so i could start writing about something i saw on the street and end up talking about bed sheets! Yes, it is liberating.
peace

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)