poem titles (1 Viewer)

black_man

Chuck lives here
HSC
i thought this might be cool. what are the names of some of your poem titles at this stage? are any of you 100% certain about some poems that are going to be included in ur MW?

some of my titles in my major work (at this stage) :
- Ripple
- Sold
- The Best is Yet to Come
- On a String
- Contact
- Colours
- Eclat
- Impact

it's strange hey, a lot of mine have really simple titles...

modelzsuck

Kylie
HSC
I think they sound like alright titles, it depends of course what is in the poems as to if they are good titles, are they related in any way???

black_man

Chuck lives here
HSC
yeah, they all are, it's a strange way in which they're all related, so bear with me. but they are all derived from music and my investigations into song-writing and really influential songwriters, so they're all sort of related in the sense music serves as the muse for all of them. they all have a real rhytmic quality and stuff tom like music

HSC
Okay here's what i think of each one. Might help.

Ripple - fluid, layered. This one's really watery.
Sold - catchcry, capitalism, real estate, consumers.
The Best is Yet to Come - old-fashioned, vague.
On a String - violins, circus, clothes, embroidery, spider webs, barb wire
Contact - glasses, sociology, touch, sense
Colours - A very boring title, really. Try something more 'colourful' (i know i'm not funny) like spectrum or palette.
Eclat - clapping imagery, splendiferous extravagance.
Impact - ?? nothing really.

I really don't like the titles: Ripple, Colours and Impact. There's nothing special about them. THey make your mw sound really abstract and vague, and having titles like those ones don't give them any sense of direction.

I really like 'On a String' because it gives such colourful imagery, links them all together with some sort of theme involving delicacy and tension.

Sold gives me the impression of a very critical look at consumerist society, as well as implying something has 'sold-out'.

The Best is Yet to Come might be suited to a lyrical piece, but I have never seen your mw so who knows.

Eclat sounds prosey, a bit pretentious, but it could be good, so i won't rule it out.

black_man

Chuck lives here
HSC
wow, thankyou so much whiterabbit, it's really amazing to have those sorts of perceptions of my work. it's a little bit difficult to define my works purely through the titles, your association with all of them are very very close though, i won't reveal a lot of what i've written, but the real basis of them go sort of like this...

ripple - love poem about the year 10 formal... i think

Sold - subtle inquiry about capitalism and consumerism

The Best Is Yet To Come - a fatalistic concept about engaging in acts in which we are well aware there is little hope of prevailing

On a String - poem about either the insubstantial nature of people in the limelight, or talking about propaganda and media again

Contact - deeply introspective, poem about hesitation, with no real contact at all

colours - lyrical love poem with lots of colourful imagery (spectrum or pallete didnt really fit with the lyrical flow)

Eclat - very lyrical poem about actors and their oestentatious behaviour

Impact - a sudden awakening and fear that life will pass you by.

all my poems have very simple titles really, so it's difficult to define them purely through their titles. but yeah, some of the titles are very mundane, i think on purpose, it might just be for a subtle effect, i'm not sure. but i think all of those i mentioned are lyrical pieces, though i think they're all very ambiguous

666_blessings

Hi! I'm Alan...
HSC
At the moment, i've only written about 1200 words so it looks like it'll all be going into my major works at this stage. The titles of my poems are:
She Reminds Me of Coffee
February 13
Protrait of a Girl
Dancing with Alexandra
Shrink
For X​

black_man

Chuck lives here
HSC
666_blessings said:
She Reminds Me of Coffee
February 13
Protrait of a Girl
Dancing with Alexandra
Shrink
For X​
wow, they are really interesting titles, i have some perception of a real beatnik poet style, especially in titles like 'february 13' and 'for X'...is that Malcolm X by any chance?

steffo

steph
HSC
666_blessings said:
At the moment, i've only written about 1200 words so it looks like it'll all be going into my major works at this stage. The titles of my poems are:
She Reminds Me of Coffee
February 13
Protrait of a Girl
Dancing with Alexandra
Shrink
For X​

"for X" makes me think of beer........

HSC
666_blessings said:
She Reminds Me of Coffee
February 13
Protrait of a Girl
Dancing with Alexandra
Shrink
For X​
What can I say.
From their titles alone, they could all be really good.
Having said that, they could all be really bad.

Protrait?

HSC
Haha... i thought you were trying to do some clever word-play

Pro Trait?
ProfessorTraitor?

It's all good.

cruel intellect

HSC
hey, ive only just begun to give titles to my poems.... so here they are, in all their working title glory.

Hate Breed
To the Styx and her tormentors
Ode to the Beat
Demise of the Guitar
Her seedy underbelly {i hate this one... i need to change it!}
I'll fuck the world with words...once ive found them
My love; Epilepsy (part 1)
I woke up with a storm in my head (part 2)
Building castles
Carmel
The Vanguard (of the Revolution)

peace love and all the rest...nicole

HSC
cruel intellect said:
hey, ive only just begun to give titles to my poems.... so here they are, in all their working title glory.

Hate Breed
Ode to the Beat
Demise of the Guitar
Building castles
Carmel

peace love and all the rest...nicole
Sounds dark and angsty. I can't say I like them, especially not 'I'll fuck the world with words ... once i've found them", but Ode to the Beat sounds good.

Does it have anything to do with poets from The Beat?

Are they taken from lines in your poems??
Sometimes it's very effective to link your poems through having the title of a poem a line in another poem.

cruel intellect

HSC
whiterabbit said:
Sounds dark and angsty. I can't say I like them, especially not 'I'll fuck the world with words ... once i've found them", but Ode to the Beat sounds good.

Does it have anything to do with poets from The Beat?

Are they taken from lines in your poems??
Sometimes it's very effective to link your poems through having the title of a poem a line in another poem.
they are dark, and angsty... but not in a bad way, not depressing or the like.
yeah, my 'I'll fuck the world...' one is only a working title, i shall have to be more eloquent than that, but my 'Ode to the beat' poem is 'inspired' by the Beat poets (Ginsberg and Corso).

none of my titles are taken from a line in the poem, 'I woke up with a storm in my head (part 2)' is a line from 'My Love; Epilepsy (part 1)', although that was to show that the two poems were connected, otherwise the markers would probably have gotten a very diff, impression.
sometimes its cool to use lines from the poem as a title, for months ive refered to each poem by the first line or couple of words, however i needed the titles to help explain the poems...
peace...NM

black_man

Chuck lives here
HSC
cruel intellect said:
Hate Breed
Ode to the Beat
Demise of the Guitar
Building castles
Carmel

yeah, they struck me as sort of beat poet titles aswell, they look really similar to the titles on several of the poetry forums and things like that. it seems to have a real street feel to it, very strong connotations of words and activism about it, almost like de la rocha or someone like that

black_man

Chuck lives here
HSC
666_blessings said:
I've been told a million times to avoid angst at all costs. It's killing my word count!
yeah, i can understand that. i know it is difficult to describe really intense emotions like that without falling into trite expressions. its similar when trying to write love poetry

666_blessings

Hi! I'm Alan...
HSC
black_man said:
yeah, i can understand that. i know it is difficult to describe really intense emotions like that without falling into trite expressions. its similar when trying to write love poetry
It's actually easier to write love poetry. Having said that, mine all end on a sour note. A reflection on bitter reality perhaps? =P

black_man

Chuck lives here
HSC
666_blessings said:
It's actually easier to write love poetry. Having said that, mine all end on a sour note. A reflection on bitter reality perhaps? =P
yeah, sorry, i was meaning love poetry that had more of an infatuated tone about it, like some works of Keats or Yeats

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)