Please help me choose which subject to dropšŸ™šŸ» (1 Viewer)

imnotreadyforthis

HSC
So I've just started year 12 and I'm deciding which subject to drop from maths adv, eng adv, bio, chem, PDHPE, and design and technology. The initial plan when I started year 11 was to drop DT because the major project takes up A LOT of time and I feel like it will get in the way of studying for other subjects like maths and chem. I also do not plan on pursuing any career in design and was actually forced to pick up this subject by the school. I like the class, teacher, and subject but I don't want to continue with it in year 12 due to lack of interest and creative skills.
However, many people are discouraging me from dropping it because it is an easy subject. Plus my marks are really good in DT and I'm ranking first in the class. That's why I am now considering dropping chemistry which is one of my most loved subject but worst academically.

For chemistry I got 71% as my overall mark for year 11 which is not that good, and my rank is pretty high but not top 3. MANY people are dropping chemistry so much that the only five people including myself are confirmed not to be dropping (i come from a small school). Because of this, I am now really scared that I will not be able to handle the big leap from year 11 chemistry to year 12 and am doubting myself. I really wanted to do chemistry and am determined to do good in it but am no longer confident with my abilities.
The plan was to drop DT to focus more on chemistry, the subject I love. But now I think I might have to consider what's best for my atar rather than what I want to do. Please help this may sound like a dumb decision but its more complicated in my head lol.

carrotsss

HSC
If you love chemistry, keep chemistry. 71% is actually really not that bad of a mark, and thereā€™s no use keeping a subject just because itā€™s ā€˜easyā€™, scaling means you should just choose whichever subject you like more. Chemistry will likely be better for your ATAR anyway because youā€™ll want to study it more.

Also year 12 chemistry is both a bit easier (mostly because itā€™s not as crammed) and more interesting than year 11 chemistry, itā€™s honestly great.

imnotreadyforthis

HSC
If you love chemistry, keep chemistry. 71% is actually really not that bad of a mark, and thereā€™s no use keeping a subject just because itā€™s ā€˜easyā€™, scaling means you should just choose whichever subject you like more. Chemistry will likely be better for your ATAR anyway because youā€™ll want to study it more.

Also year 12 chemistry is both a bit easier (mostly because itā€™s not as crammed) and more interesting than year 11 chemistry, itā€™s honestly great.
You have the same mentality as me. That's exactly what my thought process was like this past year. I think maybe my main problem is that I'm scared that the subject will become too much for me to the point where I no longer like it or want to study it anymore. My chemistry teacher in year 11 was also A LOT better than the one I have for year 12 so it may become harder for me to enjoy the subject.
thanks a lot for this response though it was exactly what I needed to hear. Honestly I hope to build enough confidence to follow this advicešŸ™šŸ»

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)