Physics or Chemistry?? (1 Viewer)

auxx

HSC
Hello Everyone!

Im currently in year 11 and completed the HSC for Biology and 2U Maths this year.

Well next year, i plan to do Extension 1 and 2 Maths, Advanced English and either Physics or Chemistry.

I need help in choosing which one to do (physics or chemistry). Im still uncertain in my career pathway, but i know it will either be something with engineering or something medical, which makes my choice for either physics or chemistry even more difficult.

So please, if you can list the pros and cons of each subject or which may be harder or easier or which requires more work etc. etc

Thank you

ianc

physics is phun!
HSC
chemistry requires way more work. no question about it.

hsc physics is a breeze, especially if you're mathematically inclined

if you are genuinely unsure as to your career plans, then why not do both?

It would only add up to 10 units this year - and especially since you've done 2unit maths last year - then it will be a pretty light load.

auxx

HSC
Well, i forgot to mention, that i can only do 1 of them because, 4U Mathematics requires a lot of work, so i need that little extra time dedicated for maths.

However, i am currently doing both HSC Physics and Chemistry till the end of the year, and by that time, we would have finished 1 module, but in the end, i will have to pick 1 of them. Physics seems interesting, and have not yet encountered any hard concepts or anything. However, with chemistry, its complex and requires a lot of concentration in class.
Still undecided though.

bored of sc

HSC
Based on those who do both at my school:

Harder: Chemistry.
Greater workload: Chemistry.
More maths: Physics.

ianc

physics is phun!
HSC
hsc physics has hardly any maths in it. sad but true... some people find the concepts in physics really hard, but i don't think you would if you are doing ext2 maths.

i don't think there's a massive workload for extension 2 maths either - unless you're one of those people who memorise the method for every single question that can possibly be asked.

the reason why i think it's important to do 10 units is that when you get to uni, you'll be used to having a moderate workload.

otherwise, if you've only done 6-8 units, there's a chance that first-year uni will feel really stressful. at uni, there's simply no time to memorise the methods for questions - you have to really understand the underlying concepts.

just my 2c :)

auxx

HSC
ianc said:
hsc physics has hardly any maths in it. sad but true... some people find the concepts in physics really hard, but i don't think you would if you are doing ext2 maths.

i don't think there's a massive workload for extension 2 maths either - unless you're one of those people who memorise the method for every single question that can possibly be asked.

the reason why i think it's important to do 10 units is that when you get to uni, you'll be used to having a moderate workload.

otherwise, if you've only done 6-8 units, there's a chance that first-year uni will feel really stressful. at uni, there's simply no time to memorise the methods for questions - you have to really understand the underlying concepts.

just my 2c :)
Ive heard people for somem reason saying that 4U requires more than +50% of your study time. I havent started 4U yet, however i have started 3U and finding it very good. I dont memorise memorise methods for queations and i dont think i will.

But if i do both subjects, there will be at times that physics or chemistry classes (undecided by the principal) will run parallel with 4U classes, that is, be on at the same time. So, in order to attend to the subject, i will have to skip 1 hour of maths (which will be the revision hour). I dont think it is a good idea, because revision in maths is vital.

And dont worry, im used to a big load of work :read:

Just.Snaz

HSC
Chemistry scales <3

It is a big workload definitely, but its rewards are bountiful. Just like you can put in less work and not get as much out. There is a lot of memorising however but I also did extension 2 maths, biology and advanced english this year and I was able to keep up.

rlmck

HSC
Come first in chem, ace every exam and assessment task and you will be laughing. Chem is the better alternative. In scales better than Physics.

ianc

physics is phun!
HSC
auxx said:
But if i do both subjects, there will be at times that physics or chemistry classes (undecided by the principal) will run parallel with 4U classes, that is, be on at the same time. So, in order to attend to the subject, i will have to skip 1 hour of maths (which will be the revision hour). I dont think it is a good idea, because revision in maths is vital.

And dont worry, im used to a big load of work :read:
okay i understand your situation now - yeah just do whatever one you enjoy the most. you don't want to be skipping maths classes... yes chemistry is more work, but if it's your thing then don't let us stop you!

and scaling does sweet fa if you really don't care about the subject. a band 6 in either physics or chem will be good for your uai.

don't worry too much about uni pre-requisites - you can always do a bridging course over the summer holidays if you need either physics or chem for whatever you end up doing

good luck for the coming year! :)

kaz1

et tu
HSC
Uni Grad
bored of sc said:
Based on those who do both at my school:

Harder: Chemistry.
Greater workload: Chemistry.
More maths: Physics.
From what I am seeing Chemistry has more Maths than Physics. I say choose Physics as it is far more interesting.

lepellillow

HSC
chemistry is way more interesting i reckon. also i think from the preliminary course, chemistry sort of just continues whereas in physics, the preliminary course is a freaking breeze and then they introduce some tricky concepts in middle of year 12. but that could just be that i don't really get it and my mind is suited better to chem :)

shaon0

HSC
auxx said:
Hello Everyone!

Im currently in year 11 and completed the HSC for Biology and 2U Maths this year.

Well next year, i plan to do Extension 1 and 2 Maths, Advanced English and either Physics or Chemistry.

I need help in choosing which one to do (physics or chemistry). Im still uncertain in my career pathway, but i know it will either be something with engineering or something medical, which makes my choice for either physics or chemistry even more difficult.

So please, if you can list the pros and cons of each subject or which may be harder or easier or which requires more work etc. etc

Thank you
I like Chemistry and Physics but i think Physics is way more interesting. Take Physics, but it's up to you.

Gillies777

HSC
hey im doing 4U Maths, Chem And Phys. and im loving it.

yeah 4U maths takes up a fair bit of time, but it your one of those people who love crazy concepts, physics is the way to go. um PHYSICS has alot more Formula's than CHEM, cause chemistry is mainly understanding how things work rather than Working things out, yet there is some formulas in chem, but the problem is to apply them to the question, where physics is rather more straight forward.

NOTE: Chemistry isn't always a pre requisite for uni, but it sure does help for the first year. physics i'm not so sure but most people say for most engineering course want you to have an adequate amount of knowledge on physics.

cheers,

[Gills.]

fatblobs

HSC
Dude, if its about ur UAI that ur worried about, then go chemistry... u might achieve a higher mark, but then again... psychosis due to unparalleled boredom is a big price to pay :p

[IMO], physics is way funner and easier :)

Aerath

Retired
HSC
N/A
fatblobs said:
Dude, if its about ur UAI that ur worried about, then go chemistry... u might achieve a higher mark, but then again... psychosis due to unparalleled boredom is a big price to pay :p

[IMO], physics is way funner and easier :)
Haha - many others may dispute this - but I agree. ;)

auxx

HSC
I was reading in the UAC book and looking through some Engineering courses. More than half of them say "Assumed Knowledge: Maths Ext.1 and physics." but in Recommended studiess it says "Chemistry...". However, im leaning to an engineering course in university.

Do u really think i HAVE to do physics in order for me to not have difficulty in uni in relation to an engineering course (thinking Biomedical eng.)? because ive been told physics is easy to pick up on, however, chemistry is more complex.

OMG so much :S :S Confuuuusionnnn :S :S

kaz1

et tu
HSC
Uni Grad
auxx said:
I was reading in the UAC book and looking through some Engineering courses. More than half of them say "Assumed Knowledge: Maths Ext.1 and physics." but in Recommended studiess it says "Chemistry...". However, im leaning to an engineering course in university.

Do u really think i HAVE to do physics in order for me to not have difficulty in uni in relation to an engineering course (thinking Biomedical eng.)? because ive been told physics is easy to pick up on, however, chemistry is more complex.

OMG so much :S :S Confuuuusionnnn :S :S
If your leaning towards engineering you should definitely do Physics.

I-Love-Jesus

HSC
I think that I could spend 2-3 weeks and learn everything in the physics course, but it would take about twice as long to learn the chem course. Also, if you're not going into physics related stuff, I think it is very irrelevant to your life, whereas chem is far more relevant. If you do ext.2 maths, the calculations in both should be totally simple, so that shouldn't affect your decision.
I think chem would be more useful for post-school study, but physics is far more fun/easier. If you're worried about your UAI, I would say that you should go with physics, because, judging by your other subject choices, it will suit you better, so you would probably get a higher mark in it. Granted, it doesn't scale quite as well, but if your physics mark is just a couple of marks higher than your chem one would be, physics should benefit your UAI more.

My verdict would be: go with physics if you're not too worried about assumed knowledge, etc. in Uni, but if you are, then chemistry, because it will make your Uni course easier.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)