PHYS (1 Viewer)

Parvee

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
HSC
less time talking how fucked you're gonna be and more time studying/past papers :lol:

anomalousdecay

Premium Member
HSC
To pass this exam, do you need a 50% raw mark or a 50% scaled mark?
Read the forums section you need 50% raw.

ie 50/100 for 1121 and 60/120 for 1131.

someone on facebook said scaled. but to get there you need like 35+% raw
Nope. You need 50% raw.

-------------

idk but the lecture and quiz stuff has helped.

In saying that from marking my past papers I sometimes get like 45% or 60% so on the day I guess we have to be lucky with the questions.

In saying that if you can get about 5 past papers out between the exam and now then you will might be able to pass.

1131 is a nightmare for my mates and I. We can't wait for 1231 though lol because we have already done a portion of it from previous work.

Squar3root

realest nigga
HSC
Uni Grad
idk but the lecture and quiz stuff has helped.

In saying that from marking my past papers I sometimes get like 45% or 60% so on the day I guess we have to be lucky with the questions.

In saying that if you can get about 5 past papers out between the exam and now then you will might be able to pass.

1131 is a nightmare for my mates and I. We can't wait for 1231 though lol because we have already done a portion of it from previous work.
lol

anomalousdecay

Premium Member
HSC
My typical cram session is practically that lol.

Did it before every major exam for the past two years. Usually works.

However in those situation I had previous study accomplished. Lets just say for Phys, although I tend to make a start, I always miss one detail at the start or take the wrong approach after making the correct assumptions and then everything goes downhill there.

Squar3root

realest nigga
HSC
Uni Grad
My typical cram session is practically that lol.

Did it before every major exam for the past two years. Usually works.

However in those situation I had previous study accomplished. Lets just say for Phys, although I tend to make a start, I always miss one detail at the start or take the wrong approach after making the correct assumptions and then everything goes downhill there.
honestly i have been studying throughout the semester and have dedicated at least 3 hours a week just to physics (i know that isn't much) and i still dont get most of it. Waves i am decent at, mechanics i understand about 40% of it and i haven't got a clue about thermal

D94

HSC
N/A
Whoever in that page said it was scaled doesn't know how the marking process works. Marks are only scaled if the assessments don't meet the criteria of each grade. That is to say, if achieving 50% of the exam is actually harder than the grading attributes/criteria for an overall Pass, then it will scaled up to reflect it, and vice-versa. This applies to any course.

The question of scaling was put to the course convener before, and the response was that Physics does not scale marks at all (but I accept that it may be different since I did PHYS1131). Therefore, any scaling is then done by the Faculty Assessment Review Group who assess the provisional marks and adjusts them appropriately to any standards that they have.

Scaling from 35% raw to 50% scaled is way too much. From the website: https://my.unsw.edu.au/student/academiclife/assessment/steps_finalising_results.html
Excessive scaling would normally indicate that the level of assessment tasks or marking standards have been set inappropriately.
Remember that the assessments have been made by course conveners, and it's their reputation and job that are assessed as well. If it's shown that their assessments or marking standards are inappropriate, then as with any job, they would not be performing to appropriate standards. So it must be the case and one must always assume that there is no scaling at all, because if not, you run the risk of failing the course.

Squar3root

realest nigga
HSC
Uni Grad
35% was just a rough guess (by some random people on facebook). yes it does seem bizarre that it would have similar scaling to HSC MX2. I'll do my best and see where that leads me

anomalousdecay

Premium Member
HSC
honestly i have been studying throughout the semester and have dedicated at least 3 hours a week just to physics (i know that isn't much) and i still dont get most of it. Waves i am decent at, mechanics i understand about 40% of it and i haven't got a clue about thermal
Well I am decent at waves and oscillations and thermal, but mechanics the questions always have some little piece of information where you don't know how to compensate. Then you only get a partial answer which is wrong any way.

But by doing them yourself and reading over the answers you learn a lot. That's why you should just pump out them past papers so fast that time dilates and you get extra time to study (lol jokes).

Squar3root

realest nigga
HSC
Uni Grad
Well I am decent at waves and oscillations and thermal, but mechanics the questions always have some little piece of information where you don't know how to compensate. Then you only get a partial answer which is wrong any way.

But by doing them yourself and reading over the answers you learn a lot. That's why you should just pump out them past papers so fast that time dilates and you get extra time to study (lol jokes).
A for effort

but in all seriousness; the general consensus is that physics is neglected by most students and i still cannot see how 80% of people pass even with the supp exam

anomalousdecay

Premium Member
HSC
Whoever in that page said it was scaled doesn't know how the marking process works. Marks are only scaled if the assessments don't meet the criteria of each grade. That is to say, if achieving 50% of the exam is actually harder than the grading attributes/criteria for an overall Pass, then it will scaled up to reflect it, and vice-versa. This applies to any course.

The question of scaling was put to the course convener before, and the response was that Physics does not scale marks at all (but I accept that it may be different since I did PHYS1131). Therefore, any scaling is then done by the Faculty Assessment Review Group who assess the provisional marks and adjusts them appropriately to any standards that they have.

Scaling from 35% raw to 50% scaled is way too much. From the website: https://my.unsw.edu.au/student/academiclife/assessment/steps_finalising_results.html

Remember that the assessments have been made by course conveners, and it's their reputation and job that are assessed as well. If it's shown that their assessments or marking standards are inappropriate, then as with any job, they would not be performing to appropriate standards. So it must be the case and one must always assume that there is no scaling at all, because if not, you run the risk of failing the course.
Well not many people read up on the threads in moodle but our course convener clearly stated that you had to pass in terms of raw marks to pass the course no matter what.

They did not mention what happens though for marks above and beyond the pass which I'm assuming are scaled only once a student has passed.

anomalousdecay

Premium Member
HSC
A for effort

but in all seriousness; the general consensus is that physics is neglected by most students and i still cannot see how 80% of people pass even with the supp exam
Physics does not look neglected by people. Idk but everyone in my program has found it problematic so far. Apart from smashing the quiz and lab components for over 90% we still aren't feeling confident for the final.

Maybe the supplementary exams are made easier so more people pass. Idk though. Instead of worrying about supplementary make sure you get through and pass this exam!!!!

Oh and the other exam you have to do.

And I think I saw you post in a thread really close to the one where the course convener said exactly what happens. So yeah dw about it too much as they said. Focus on passing first go and "understanding the physics principles involved" to quote the response given.

anomalousdecay

Premium Member
HSC
35% was just a rough guess (by some random people on facebook). yes it does seem bizarre that it would have similar scaling to HSC MX2. I'll do my best and see where that leads me
I think 1141 scales quite well.

Squar3root

realest nigga
HSC
Uni Grad
Physics does not look neglected by people. Idk but everyone in my program has found it problematic so far. Apart from smashing the quiz and lab components for over 90% we still aren't feeling confident for the final.
that's because "everyone" cheats lol

Maybe the supplementary exams are made easier so more people pass. Idk though. Instead of worrying about supplementary make sure you get through and pass this exam!!!!

Oh and the other exam you have to do.
maybe; i cannot find a supp exam online.

And I think I saw you post in a thread really close to the one where the course convener said exactly what happens. So yeah dw about it too much as they said. Focus on passing first go and "understanding the physics principles involved" to quote the response given.
fak still worried tho

Squar3root

realest nigga
HSC
Uni Grad
fak; if i cant pass the final exam; i am going to kiss wolfe's and the other lecturer's ass so i dont have to repeat

anomalousdecay

Premium Member
HSC
Honestly the phys quizzes should be like the maths ones.

You get five attempts and they are timed.

That way it reduces the ease of cheating and also you would actually be bothered to try.

When you get questions which are really difficult and out of scope of possible exam questions, you really cbf to actually do them yourself.

damn it ran out of time to do CATEI. should have done it.

Squar3root

realest nigga
HSC
Uni Grad
I trolled the CATEI survey soo much, it wasn't even funny. I wrote an essay explaning why I would rather put honey on my genitals and glue bacon to my body and walk into a zoo than sit in a physics problem solving class. The teaching assistant was looking at me funny because I had so much to write, but sadly j couldn't finish it because I had to go to my nest class

But yeh AD; they sound like good improvements for the course

EpikHigh

Arizona Tears
HSC
Seriously thought I was gonna get shrekt at physics, but after reading the lecture slides, a lot makes sense. (probs cause I never went to lectures) This works for me, it may sound like an obvious thing to do, but in a question just list all your knowns/unknowns etc try and go from there, list out possible equations and stuff and take a deep breath and take it slow don't rush yourself you're better off completing like 75% of test well instead of rushing all of it and making errors all over the place.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)