Phantom of the Opera (1 Viewer)

inasero

Reborn
HSC
am i the only one here or is all the male acting/singing 'wooden', as somebody else described?

bubz :D

the last laugh
HSC
saw it last night, loved it. though i can't really compare it to the musical because i saw it so long ago and the main difference i can remember is that the musical didn't show the phantom's past...

the opening was the most brilliant part, i had tears in my eyes when the chandelier is unveiled and the opera house is "restored" :p yes, the memories... i'm so glad they used the same music because i'd heard rumours when it was first being made that they were going to change it. the bad thing was i was nitpicking through the whole movie because i have the soundtrack for the original musical and i could tell what they changed in the music :p not that i'm complaining :p

astro said:
apparently anne hathaway and keira knightely was asked to play Christine....
i would've died if either of them were cast...

transcendent

HSC
N/A
i've seen it and it wasn't my thing. music was great and artistic and all but yeah, i didn't really enjoy it.

Beckkllea

HSC
It is a really good change from stage to screen, i must admitt i thought it was going to be horrible and cheesy but it worked out to be very good,

If only it wasnt so long

ameh

dirty trick
HSC
N/A
my friend and i laughed at the lameness in the beginning, i liked the rock-musical quality in the score and brilliant cinematography..although the ''raw and earthy'' voice of the phantom sounded faggoty and drew a lot of ssshhh's from the mass of elderly behind us

bloodysunday

Galactic Hitch-hiker
HSC
Phantom was in a word, magnificent. The music, the transitions, the backdrop of the sewers... oh, it was a dream. I can't get over that first chord when they unveil the chandelier... absolutely wonderful. one of the best theatrical performances of any kind.

bubz :D

the last laugh
HSC
bloodysunday said:
I can't get over that first chord when they unveil the chandelier... absolutely wonderful.
i completely agree with that. watched it again on thursday :)

my sister's obsessed with it now too ahahha... since she didn't watch the stage production with me (she was too young), she's had to put up with the OST for the past eight or nine years, and now that she's finally seen it, she loves it to bits too :p

bloodysunday

Galactic Hitch-hiker
HSC
lol that's exactly what happened with my brother and i. my parents went to see a production when i was 4 and so they left me with some friends, and bought the soundtrack, which is all i've had until now. i've always loved the music, but now i can put the picture to the sound :D

miaomiao

HSC
N/A
I really loved the movie. I saw the musical when i was 9 or 10 and it didnt do much for me... but THIS! It was so gothic and haunting and made the physically repulsive Phantom seem utterly beautiful through the music and everything. i thought the girl who played Christine was stunning and her voice was so clear, like a bell. I 'm seeing it again for sure. Finding neverland really knocked my socks off too although i would have liked it to have been less of a kids movie, I cried all through the end! i think it depends on taste whther youll like these films or not... as is the case with everything I guess

Annegelic

Taper jean girl
HSC
yes, the rock-type theatre music um... rocked ! totally wanna get the soundtrack. and yeh it's true keira knightley and anne hathaway auditioned for the role of christine. i think keira could've done a good job, but not anne. she's very comical with her acting.

i couldn't believe the whole movie script was done in song. i've never seen the theatre production or actually knew the story... i didn't know the phantom was a bad guy ?! but yeh, my only criticism is that it would've been better if the actors were ACTUALLY singing, not miming.. guess that's why it's better as a theatrical production, not a film.

................and gerard butler was sooo hot as the phantom ^.^

Phanatical

Happy Lala
HSC
The actors Were actually singing, with the exception of Minnie Driver as Carlotta, but Driver sings the end credits song and does all the non-singing voice work in the movie. The recordings used were in fact made on set with the exception of a few bits, so they should have matched up well.

Annegelic

Taper jean girl
HSC
Are you sure.. ? gerard butler and emmy rossum actually sang all the parts and the blonde chick, and all the other cast ??

Phanatical

Happy Lala
HSC
The entire cast, except for Minnie Driver, whose singing was provided by stage Carlotta Margaret Preece.

Darth Figgy

Angel of Music
HSC
I've seen the film 7 times, and read Leroux's novel twice, having never been able to see the stage show (yet).

I've loved Phantom since I was 7 years old and have listened to the original soundtrack countless times.

I think the film is the most beautiful thing I have ever seen and I will never tire of it. Absolutely gorgeous. Only people with no soul could fail to elicit some emotion from it.

Apparently they are building a permanent production of Phantom in Las Vegas which should open in 2006.

Last edited:

Jase

HSC
Who's the old guy during the black and white sequences?

is he raoul or the first manager/owner of the opera??

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)