Phantom of the Opera (1 Viewer)

bubz :D

the last laugh
HSC
i can't wait to watch this when i get back, i saw the opera in 1995/96...

my friends who've seen the movie say it's brilliant... but its' different to the musical?

^___^
HSC
i heard from some people it was average, but i guess they probably haven't seen the musical? (neither have i)

for anyone that watched it, is it really artistic??

mizz_smee

has a fetish 4 handcuffs
HSC
i just think that the costumes look awsome in this
and that is probably the reason i will go see it

spiny norman

HSC
Best musical ever!? Have you seen Rocky Horror Picture Show?
Best movie ever!? Have you seen Gone With The Wind?

Phanatical

Happy Lala
HSC
I've seen both Rocky Horror Picture Show, and Gone with the Wind. I happen to like Phantom of the Opera more, but I guess it's because my writing style is very similar to that of Andrew Lloyd Webber. Even my username relates to this particular musical.

They've really expanded on the musical, in the movie. New scenes which justify the opening with the old Raoul and Mme Giry, a lot of new music, and improved orchestrations. Great visuals too. And the cast is younger than that of most musicals (Emmy Rossum is 18, Christine Daae is 16 in the movie).

crazyhomo

under pressure
HSC
far too many long boring pointless drawn out scenes. needed to cut out half the movie or move it along faster. 15 minute scenes all sung in song makes it hard to follow what the actually dialogue is and i lost interest

Phanatical

Happy Lala
HSC
I don't see how they could have cut it any more without compromising the story. And as for the singing, IT'S A MUSICAL.

malkin86

HSC
I've heard that the woman who plays Christine is better than Sarah Brightman - clearer and so on. What do you think?

I haven't seen either the film or the musical, although I read an English translation of the book, and I don't really like Raoul that much.

astro

HSC
apparently anne hathaway and keira knightely was asked to play Christine....

now i have to choose between phantom of the opera and finding neverland.....hmm, tough decision to make....

spiny norman

HSC
I saw Finding Neverland at an Advanced Screening and thought it to be beguiling. I wholeheartedly recommend it, in a year of disappointing movies, it did not.

crazyhomo

under pressure
HSC
Phanatical said:
I don't see how they could have cut it any more without compromising the story. And as for the singing, IT'S A MUSICAL.
yes, it was a musical. which is exactly why they should have made an extra effort to make it possible to understand the lyrics so you could follow what was being said. and they couldn't have cut without compromising the story? its not part of the story if no one can understand wtf is going on

Phanatical

Happy Lala
HSC
The lyrics were fine, it was very well sung. And they Did cut out stuff, which in my opinion should also have been left in. If you start cutting everything out, you lose the coherance of the story, and it just becomes crap.

Phanatical

Happy Lala
HSC
malkin86 said:
I've heard that the woman who plays Christine is better than Sarah Brightman - clearer and so on. What do you think?

I haven't seen either the film or the musical, although I read an English translation of the book, and I don't really like Raoul that much.
Emmy Rossum (Christine) is only 18, but she played the part so much more convincingly than Sarah Brightman ever did. Emmy Rossum is also a better singer than Sarah Brightman.

Sugar

HSC
astro said:
apparently anne hathaway and keira knightely was asked to play Christine....

now i have to choose between phantom of the opera and finding neverland.....hmm, tough decision to make....
Katie Holmes was almost cast for the role of Christine, but the director said she was too old.

Why not watch both movies?

I really want to watch Finding Neverland. I've heard good reviews about it.

crazyhomo

under pressure
HSC
Phanatical said:
The lyrics were fine, it was very well sung. And they Did cut out stuff, which in my opinion should also have been left in. If you start cutting everything out, you lose the coherance of the story, and it just becomes crap.
too late. the story was incoherent and crap

glycerine

so don't even ask me
HSC
Oh please. Phanatical, every post you make just cements your retardation in my mind. Granted, I've never seen the musical in full (caught parts of showings on tv etc when younger) but I have read the book and they could've easily cut about half of each song out - then maybe they would've had time for actual character and plot development. It is indeed a musical, but you know what? I've seen plenty of musicals which had about half the singing... and ten times the story. The acting was average, plot points were unclear. Yes, it was visually stunning... but half the time I only knew wtf was going on because I've read the book and therefore knew the basic story.

Btw, Rahoul was a completely wooden actor and whilst Christine was okay, she didn't put much in when it came to acting.

Despite my criticisms here, I quite liked it, but if you honestly think it was the "best movie ever" and it should've been longer, you're a tool.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)