open day (1 Viewer)

X

xeuyrawp

... said:
I have.. just that i still can't believed he still get so hyped up about the nickname
Probably just brings back bad memories? In any case, that's no excuse to do it but rather an excuse not to do it.

now when i see him in uni i smile and give him a wave...
Howcome I never got a wave? :p

MaryJane

Extraordinary Machine
HSC
PwarYuex said:
Edit: I just got an email back from that chick, and I've got an interview with her about open day.
...are you serious? Bah. I'm so confused. Three emails and a phonecall later and I havent heard a peep.

X

xeuyrawp

MaryJane said:
...are you serious? Bah. I'm so confused. Three emails and a phonecall later and I havent heard a peep.
Yes, I emailed her back after this response from her:

"" Thanks for your interest. We are currently looking for students to work
on Open Day Saturday 10 September. If you are available, can you please
advise which of the following dates (and time) you are available to come
in to the PR office (Ground Floor, Goodman Fielder Building) for an
interview:

Wednesday 24 August - between 1 and 3pm
Thursday 25 August - between 1pm and 3pm

Please let me know the time you are avaible as well as the preferred
day.
Kind regards,
Dina

Dina Mura
Public Relations & Marketing Unit
Ground Floor, Goodman Fielder Building
Macquarie University
North Ryde NSW 2109
Ph: 9850 6079
Fax: 9850 9457 ""
I rang her just then to confirm, but she's really hard to track down apparently.

MaryJane

Extraordinary Machine
HSC
I just got a response from her after my 3 emails and phone call. Apparently she hadnt received any of my previous emails :rolleyes:

Anyway, I have an interview next Wednesday! After all that I hope I get a job! :D

^___^
HSC
MaryJane said:
I just got a response from her after my 3 emails and phone call. Apparently she hadnt received any of my previous emails :rolleyes:

Anyway, I have an interview next Wednesday! After all that I hope I get a job! :D

haha same MJ!!!

now if only we know where the heck this goodwin building is :cool:

MaryJane

Extraordinary Machine
HSC
I know! I have *no* idea of where the building is.. And we've been there two years- isnt that pathetic?!

Question: Did you guys send her an email via your uni account? Or other account (hotmail/g-mail etc)?

X

xeuyrawp

... said:
congrats Rob

i got the call from her just then :)
interview next week in the PR office

hope you get it :)
Hey, when's your interview?

Mine's 2:30 on the Thursday 25th.

If you're around at that time, tell me, because I want to attach a face to your name :D

In any case, I don't think there's anything to congratulate- I mean, it's only an interview, and I doubt they'll turn anybody down.

MaryJane said:
I know! I have *no* idea of where the building is.. And we've been there two years- isnt that pathetic?!

Question: Did you guys send her an email via your uni account? Or other account (hotmail/g-mail etc)?
I found the Goodman Fielder building, top right of map: http://www.bgo.mq.edu.au/map/zone3.jpg

I don't remember that building, and I don't know particularly well where it is...

I sent her an email via uni account, I usually do that with uni-related stuff.

Anyway. Woot!

Rob "AskMe" Pwaryuex.

Last edited by a moderator:

^___^
HSC
i sent her 2emails and a phone call

one via hotmail, the other via uni
instead she contacted me via phone number (i didn't include my number in my emails whereas i left my number down when i called)

hmm. i'll hike around the uni on monday and see where this goodwin building is

X

xeuyrawp

... said:
Goodman?

hmm..thats one isolated building
Well, you can see the Seimens building from Macq Centre, and the Goodman building looks just behind that.

Skittled

What did the crab do?
HSC
PwarYuex said:
Edit: I just got an email back from that chick, and I've got an interview with her about open day.
...Were you a mentor last year, Pwar? I believe this email was only directed at mentorees, and even then only a random sampling of them...

X

xeuyrawp

AsyLum said:
2pm on Thursday 25 August For me :)
Wooh, we're destined to meet!

Skittled said:
...Were you a mentor last year, Pwar? I believe this email was only directed at mentorees, and even then only a random sampling of them...
How could I have possibly been a mentor last year?

Skittled

What did the crab do?
HSC
My point exactly: MQ's marketing department are only asking for previous mentors to apply. I've personally not got a problem with you applying, but I think it's a pretty major hurdle for you to cross jump, not having the experience they're specifically asking for: The marketing dept advertised only to people who have been mentors in the past, not to the university as a whole, which to me seems to indicate that they want people who have been mentors before.

It's not exactly a highly trained role, but by specifically only advertising to mentors, they're targeting those who have been through the training, and have led the kids around, have been told the things that are important to the new students, have been told the official answers to certain types of questions, etc etc...

I'm not questioning whether you could or not, just pointing out that they specifially asked for mentors, and I'd imagine there are reasons behind that.

Last edited:

^___^
HSC
i can see where Skittled is going

cos there are a lot of questions we mentors are not allow to answer, even if we know the answer or know a better alternative solutions..it is just the legal issue of it

X

xeuyrawp

Skittled said:
My point exactly: MQ's marketing department are only asking for previous mentors to apply. I've personally not got a problem with you applying, but I think it's a pretty major hurdle for you to cross jump, not having the experience they're specifically asking for: The marketing dept advertised only to people who have been mentors in the past, not to the university as a whole, which to me seems to indicate that they want people who have been mentors before.

It's not exactly a highly trained role, but by specifically only advertising to mentors, they're targeting those who have been through the training, and have led the kids around, have been told the things that are important to the new students, have been told the official answers to certain types of questions, etc etc...
Then why didn't you say that rather than asking a question you already knew the answer to?

Firstly, I wouldn't apply if I couldn't do the general open day stuff.

Secondly, I was invited to talk and sit around at a history stand / lecture and was told by two different academics that if I got the paying AskMe job, I could still do work with the history people for the two or three hours they need me.

Thirdly, 2 of my first-year friends have successfully applied for it, as has fornstar. Whilst that particular email was sent out to mentors, the jobs are not only going to them; as has been shown by my friends saying the jobs have been advertised by tutors and lecturers.

Lastly, the lady knows I'm a first year and hence haven't mentored before.

Skittled

What did the crab do?
HSC
So defensive, aren't we, Pwar? Jesus.. Talk about volatile.

I asked the question because I wasn't sure. Thus, the question was posed to ensure that I didn't sit there and point out problems which didn't exist. Total waste of time and energy.

I wasn't criticising, just saw a discrepancy between what was being asked for, and past experience. It doesn't bother me in the slightest that you're applying, it was just that I saw that there were certain implied requirements, which from memory you hadn't met. If you've been offered the job some other way, or through other people, or by more people, or would have got the job anyway -- good for you, I was simply confirming if you were aware that those were --or, what I believed to be-- the requirements.

Good luck in your interview. Dude. :rolleyes:

X

xeuyrawp

Skittled said:
So defensive, aren't we, Pwar? Jesus.. Talk about volatile.

I asked the question because I wasn't sure. Thus, the question was posed to ensure that I didn't sit there and point out problems which didn't exist. Total waste of time and energy.

I wasn't criticising, just saw a discrepancy between what was being asked for, and past experience. It doesn't bother me in the slightest that you're applying, it was just that I saw that there were certain implied requirements, which from memory you hadn't met. If you've been offered the job some other way, or through other people, or by more people, or would have got the job anyway -- good for you, I was simply confirming if you were aware that those were --or, what I believed to be-- the requirements.

Good luck in your interview. Dude. :rolleyes:
I'm not being defensive or volatile, I was just summarising all the reasons why I am applying to about 5 different people who have just said "The job's only for past mentors".

You asking the question "were you a mentor last year" is what teachers and parents say when they're patronising you- "Oh, didn't you do your readings", "I asked Bob the question- is your name Bob?", "Do you think that swearing at me was a good idea, hmm?..." etc.

Of course I wasn't a mentor, I'm a first year. You knew that, so it would have been more productive to have said "I believe that particular email was directed at mentors, Rob".

I thought you were supposed to be nice? Where's MJ, I much prefer her.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)