On the topic of University Transfers... (2 Viewers)

misty_angel

HSC
i applied for a transfer this year from commerce usyd to commerce unsw.

i am an access student so my uai is lower than most ppl at my course. would UAC take into consideration of this?? or am I supposed to let them know?

sikeveo

back after sem2
HSC
ACCESS doesn't apply if you are a NRSL. It states this in the EAS booklet.

misty_angel

HSC
but i mean, since they consider half of the UAI, wouldn't it b unfair coz i was disadvantaged in yr12?

stazi

Nightman
HSC
There are many unfair things about transfers:
-GPA is used, not WAM (effectively someone with four marks of 74 is a worse student than someone with 65,65,65,75.)
-Difficulty of subjects not taken into account.
-Access not taken into account.

sikeveo

back after sem2
HSC
Difficulty of subjects not taken into account. - It is, via scaling.
WAM is used for some transfers in UNSW (i.e. med)

stazi

Nightman
HSC
not all subjects are scaled. 6/8 subjects ive taken have had no mechanical scaling process

Frigid

LLB (Hons)
HSC
N/A
sikeveo said:
Difficulty of subjects not taken into account. - It is, via scaling.
law is, as a general rule, never scaled.

oh well, life is unfair.

AsyLum

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
TRANSFERRING TO MACQUARIE UNIVERSITY

Generally students who wish to transfer to Macquarie University after a period of study at another university, TAFE Institute or private college apply through UAC. Macquarie University applies an algorithm that combines both the student’s UAI and the results of their tertiary studies. The result of this calculation is known as the Selection Rank. Students should note that this calculation could result in a Selection Rank, which is significantly different to their UAI. The Selection Rank may be higher or lower than the UAI depending on the level of results achieved in tertiary study.

Macquarie University has examined its procedures in calculating the Selection Rank and has amended the algorithm used. Students who have completed a half-year of tertiary study or less will be selected based on the best of their tertiary study or their latest secondary or bridging rank. (UAI or equivalent)

This means that students who attempt up to six months tertiary study and seek to apply or re-apply through UAC will not be penalised for any poor results gained in their tertiary studies. Rather the amended algorithm allows the original UAI or the Selection Rank to be used as the selection criterion for entry to the University, whichever is the higher.

If a student has done more than a half-year of study the amended algorithm does not apply to them. Their Selection Rank will be assessed by a combination of both the UAI and their tertiary study results.
Please note that students who wish to change programs within the University will continue to apply through the University internal transfer policy.
http://www.hscandbeyond.mq.edu.au/transferring_to_macquarie.htm

jcnme

aussie-battler
HSC
help wanted

can som one help me??
i want to kno if i can transfer from southern cross uni (lismore NSW) to griffith uni (brisbane) doing ba law/ba arts

griffith has a higher cut off than southern crosss...does that mean that a transfer is not possible?

Frigid

LLB (Hons)
HSC
N/A
jcnme said:
can som one help me??
i want to kno if i can transfer from southern cross uni (lismore NSW) to griffith uni (brisbane) doing ba law/ba arts
griffith has a higher cut off than southern crosss...does that mean that a transfer is not possible?
no, if one's NRSL is higher than the other, it just means that you will have to get better uni marks than your UAI (see first post of this thread).

miaomiao

HSC
N/A
Inconsistant information???

I spoke to a lady at the uni info days who I think was the head of the Arts and humanities dept. at UNSW and she told me that they take 20% UAI and 80% uni results into consideration when students apply for a transfer.... SO, Is this lady wrong or are you guys???? I dont get it.

AsyLum

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
jcnme said:
can som one help me??

It doesn't mean its not possible, but im not sure on how Queensland uni's do their transfers though.

http://www.gu.edu.au/prospectivestudents/interstate_students/

Is probably your best bet :)

Last edited:

Frigid

LLB (Hons)
HSC
N/A
miaomiao said:
I spoke to a lady at the uni info days who I think was the head of the Arts and humanities dept. at UNSW and she told me that they take 20% UAI and 80% uni results into consideration when students apply for a transfer.... SO, Is this lady wrong or are you guys???? I dont get it.
specific weightings for transfers may be faculty-specific. for example, to transfer into B.Commerce at UNSW, the better of one's UAI or uni marks is taken into account. so, yes, she is probably right.

miaomiao

HSC
N/A
How do we find out which courses process transfers on a "faculty specific" basis. I'm seriously lost here. Because my friend wanted to transfer from media and communications/journalism/law @UTS to UNSW international studies and had a pretty good UAI (97) and crappy uni marks (credits and passes) The Arts faculty lady said it might not be possible because they take 80% of the uni marks into account... so...
Say a person had an average UAI in the 80s and then got a Distinction average or High Dist. Avrg. at the end of first year... wouldn't that make you eligible to transfer into practically anything?? Even law?

Last edited:
HSC
If you're doing something like Arts/Law, since the Law is the 'bigger' degree, they take the transfer as a law one so it becomes the 50% UAI and 50% GPA. If they're just doing a journo/law transfer to b arts transfers, since the arts faculty is handling the transfer, it becomes the 80/20 ration. As for the UAI in the 80s and the HD average, you have to see what the requirements for that specific faculty and do the maths to see whether you would be eligible.

Frigid

LLB (Hons)
HSC
N/A
miaomiao said:
How do we find out which courses process transfers on a "faculty specific" basis. I'm seriously lost here.
what i have written is general information, and generalia specialibus non deroganthttp://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Statutory_interpretation#Generalia_specialibus_non_derogant. do the obvious: ask the faculty into which you want to transfer, yeah? :)
miaomiao said:
Say a person had an average UAI in the 80s and then got a Distinction average or High Dist. Avrg. at the end of first year... wouldn't that make you eligible to transfer into practically anything?? Even law?
impossible from a law transfer point of view (unless they do not take into account your UAI). a mid-80s UAI is too low to create an NRSL of ~96. unless, of course, there are faculty-specific transfer schemes (such as UTS questionnaire/interview) etc etc.

AsyLum

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
That's only if its external, and even then you never know with the way cut-offs go, look at this year.

Probably not at USYD, but UNSW/UTS/MQ/UWS may be a chance..remember nothing is impossible.

Internally, it depends on the university.

Frigid

LLB (Hons)
HSC
N/A
AsyLum said:
That's only if its external, and even then you never know with the way cut-offs go, look at this year.

Probably not at USYD, but UNSW...
yeah true. it has been raised in the cutoff trends thread i made that the slight drop in USyd cutoffs and complementary increase in UNSW cutoffs is due to the introduction of $10K p.a. Scientia scholarships.

however, i would contend that USyd and UNSW external NRSL transfers for law are probably very similar in terms of marks required (~96), and it would be unlikely that a person with mid-80s UAI and 6.5+ GPA can transfer in.

AsyLum

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
Yeah true, i didnt see the trend for UNSW, most likely USYD or UNSW would be out of reach for the average 80/D/HD student

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)