On the topic of University Transfers... (1 Viewer)

rajeev

HSC
hey!
I was considering and internal transfer, if anyone could answer my questions that would rule!

Ok i really want to go to UTS, not woolongong. Im looking at doing B business, and i dont think im going to get 94.. im pretty sure ill get over 80 so woolongong is ok, but a friend suggested going to uts and doing a similar lower scaled course such as B management (tourism) then transferring to business and carrying over credits..

It all sounds too good to be true and im guessing it is, from what i gathered in your post you can only now transfer down courses, ie drop an extra part.

But what about changing course completely?
Will they still look at my UAI? Do i need like distinctions in every subject or something?
How many subjects will i need to do before i can apply for a transfer?
Is it possible for me to only choose the 2 subjects I have that are overlapping?
Will that mean i get credit for those two?
Some of the lower courses are offered at the Kuringai campus, do you think i could be able to transfer to business at the city campus?

thanks soooo much anyone that knows these answers :D

stazi

Nightman
HSC
rajeev. I think someone mentioned that UTS will not have internal transfering as of next year, but I could be getting that confused.
A transfer criteria varies between unis. Most look at both your UAI and Grade point average (e.g. Distinction average). UTS could well be the latter.
For a transfer you will likely need 1.0 loads (i.e. a full-time year).

rajeev

HSC
hey thanks for the fast reply..

really dammit cant believe they arent doing internal transfers anymore :'( ill give them a call 2morro and ask my questions again.. maybe they have some ideas to other ways..

Otherwise Ill go to woolongong and not be happy cause its so far away and keep applying to transfer.. grr

hope its not really like that... internal transfering made me happy for an hour or so lol

stazi

Nightman
HSC
I'm not sure if they're not doing internal transfers. I just remember someone mentioning it. I could be mistaken.
Why not go to UTS and transfer to that degree?

rajeev

HSC
thanks for the fast reply again..
so i called up and he was like yeah no more internal transfers between deparments.. like science to law etc.. they will be counted as external transfers.

but if you are in the same department you can still do internal transfers... so if i did a bachelor of arts (tourism) and get atleast a credit average its just an internal transfer to b business.. so it shouldnt be too hard and my credit points will transfer over..

wooooo

i feel slightly less freakin outish.. but i still need like 85 or something so i cant fully chill lol..

maybe i should look at other unis still.. like sydney etc and see what similar courses they have to B business..

stazi

Nightman
HSC
Aren't arts and business different departments?
Sydney has B Commerce, B Economics and Social Sciences, B Commerce (Liberal Studies). Those are the most similar. Commerce is more maths-based though than UTS business.
You could, for example, do B Arts and Sciences at USYD which allows you to take Business faculty units then transfer to commerce or whatever takes your fancy.

acmilan

I'll stab ya
HSC
N/A
Frigid said:
That is, if you are in first year, and are filling out the application during August, you write 1.0 years (two semesters) completed, instead of 0.5 years (one semester).
Do we still indicate as 1.0 years if we havent done 1 years worth of workload, ie. this year im doing 45 credit points instead of the normal 48 at usyd.

stazi

Nightman
HSC
that would mean you didnt complete 1.0 workloads acmilan. i think one of the letters we get says how much of a 1.0 wl you completed.

acmilan

I'll stab ya
HSC
N/A
I know, but I meant does that 1.0 refer to that fact that weve been at uni for 1 year or that we've done 1 year equivalent of uni. (Im assuming the only options on the application are 0.5 or 1.0?)

Frigid

LLB (Hons)
HSC
N/A
acmilan: unless you're transferring mid-year, if you're transferring for NEXT year (ie you will complete semester 2), you write 1.0 FTE.

acmilan

I'll stab ya
HSC
N/A
Frigid said:
acmilan: unless you're transferring mid-year, if you're transferring for NEXT year (ie you will complete semester 2), you write 1.0 FTE.
ok, thanks Frigid

persephone

HSC
Thanks for that.

For stuff that needs personal statements do you still fill out the apply through UAC and send the personal statement to the uni separately??

But great post....cleared things up alot.

psych_girl

HSC
Frigid said:
On the topic of University Transfers...

Introduction

For some university students, the course they are currently in might not be the course they want to stay in, due to a variety of reasons: change of interests, incompatibility with time restraints, to transfer from a fee-paying place to a HECS place, originally desired another course but failed to achieve the UAI cutoff. For these students, a transfer during university might be the way to go (the other option being postgraduate study).

-------------------------------------------------------

The Applications Process

To transfer to another university course is a relatively simple affair, similar to applying for university after HSC. There are two possible processes: internal transfers (which are declining in use, and are now limited to dropping degrees, such as from Commerce Law to straight Commerce) and external transfers (done through UAC or its interstate equivalent).

For the former, inquire with your faculty, fill out the relevant paperwork and have it authorised.

The latter involves a NRSL (Non-Recent School Leaver) undergraduate application to UAC (University Admissions Centre). This is similar to the Recent School Leave university application (ie. the ones the HSC kids use), using Apply-By-Web. Alternatively, you can use the form in the 'commercial' version of the UAC guide (rrp $15.00 at all good newsagents).

Before you begin applying, remember to check the UAC guide or the relevant university faculty website to see: a) are there opportunities to transfer to the desired course(s); b) what are the requirements of transfer other than UAI/tertiary marks? Some transfers require Personal Statements/Questionnaires (eg. transfer into B.Laws at UTS). Again, remember check the faculty website.

The application opens in early August (like the HSC applications) and closed on 30 September. However the UAC guide is still open for late applications (until the 29 October) with a late fee charge of $82. Then there will be another late period with a higher late fee charge.

The cost of a NRSL application is $35 (inc. GST). Remember to print out your receipt.

Fill out all the relevant information in your application slowly and doublecheck each time (the browser will force you to check and save before you proceed). Remember to note down your UAC Number (eg 95100xxxx) and your PIN (the digits of your birthday as DDMM, for example 1110 for October 11).

For the entry FTE (Full Time Equivalence), select the number of years to the end of the year. That is, if you are in first year, and are filling out the application during August, you write 1.0 years (two semesters) completed, instead of 0.5 years (one semester). This is because, by the time the UAC assessor comes to collect your data from your university, you will have had completed two semesters of study already.

Another point to note is that Apply-By-Web does not support the Mozilla Firefox browser. boo :(

Fill out your preferences from the course codes in the UAC guide in the order of preference. It doesn't matter if you get it wrong the first time around, because there is always opportunity to re-login and change things. Remember to print out your application summary for future reference.

Your application will be processed by UAC and an offer will be made based on a similar system to the HSC applications, ie. supply-and-demand. So a course which is accepting 50 NRSL students next year (and only based on UAI/tertiary marks) will offer to the 50 NRSL applicants with the highest UAI/tertiary marks. Again I stress, it's very similar to the good ol' HSC application.

An offer will be made the same time the Main Round of Offers are released (which is roughly 19th January). You can then use the UAC website to check/accept your offers. Some institutions may have online enrolment, while others need you to physically rock-up and enrol. Again, very similar to HSC application.

---------------------------------------------------------

How are my marks calculated and weighted?

As mentioned previously, most transfers rank applicants based on UAI and tertiary marks, with a 50:50 weighting.

In terms of tertiary marks, they will usually look at your GPA (Grade Point Average). Using the conversion table (see Schedule 3 in attached .pdf file), they will turn your GPA into an Selection Rank out of 100 (similar to UAI). The final NRSL Index is thus calculated:

NRSL Index = (UAI + Selection Rank)/2
(the average of UAI and Selection Rank)

Then once UAC have every applicant's NRSL indices, it will rank them and make offers based on the number of places offered.

---------------------------------------------------------

Okay, then how do I calculate my GPA (Grade Point Average?)

GPA is the weighted average measurement of your university grades. It would be unfair to simply average your grades without giving weight to their credit values (so say you got High Distinction in a 2cp subject, but got a Credit in a 10cp subject, it would be hardly fair to say you got a Distinction average).

So, how do we calculate GPA?

First, write down the marks and credit point values of each subject you do.

Then convert each mark into a grade. Usually this is done by working out which bracket your mark falls in:

0 - 49 = Fail
50 - 64 = Pass
65 - 74 = Credit
75 - 84 = Distinction
85 - 100 = High Distinction.

Now, convert your grades into grade points based on the following:

Fail = 0
Pass Conceded = 3
Pass = 4
Credit = 5
Distinction = 6
High Distinction = 7.

Your GPA is calculated by:
GPA = Σ(grade point for subject multiply by credit point value of subject) divided by Σ(credit point of subject). In the language of 2-unit General Maths, this means:

GPA = ( GP1 x CP1 + GP2 x CP2 + GP3 x CP3 + ... + GP'n' x CP'n' ) / ( CP1 + CP2 + CP3 + ... + CP'n' )

Still don't get it? Here's an example:

Now you try it for yourself ;)

--------------------------------------------------------

What is WAM (Weighted-Average Mark)?

WAM (Weighted-Average Mark) is a very similar concept to GPA, except it does without the use of grade points. Instead, the final mark (FM) is used in lieu of the GP value. Therefore, the formula will be:

WAM = ( FM1 x CP1 + FM2 x CP2 + FM3 x CP3 + ... + FM'n' x CP'n') / CP1 + CP2 + CP3 + ... + CP'n').

Example:

----------------------------------------------------------------

Okay Frig, I've got my GPA, what do I do to predict whether I get in?

Use the NRSL Index formula I mentioned 2 sections ago, along with your GPA and UAI. Let's get back to Fred's example:

NRSL Index = (UAI + Selection Rank)/2 , GPA = 6 , UAI = 99.10

Okay, first work out the Selection Rank, based on Fred's GPA:
Look at the Schedule 3 of attached .pdf file. What is Fred's GPA? 6. Fred has 'Attempted 1.0-2.99 FTE' (1 to < 2 years Full Time Equivalence), so look at the 3rd column of numbers. Where GPA = 6.00 - 6.09 and 1.0 - 2.99 FTE intersects is Fred's Selection Rank.

Based on the table and information, Fred's Selection Rank is 96.

Go back our NRSL Index formula and plug in Selection Rank = 96, UAI = 99.10:

NRSL Index = ( 96 + 99.10 ) / 2 = 97.55

Voila! that's all you need to work out your NRSL Index.

*gives everyone a pat on the back for being a Band-6 ace in General Maths*

Now, IF your NRSL Index is one of the highest 'x' number of NRSL Indices, with 'x' being the number of places offered to NRSL applicants, you should made an offer. Usually, the NRSL Index cutoff for any given course is lower than the UAI cutoff.

As a general guide, for all you people wanting to transfer into Law (*admit it*), the NRSL Index for UNSW is roughly 96.xx. Unlike the UAI cutoffs, the NRSL Index cutoffs are not published (though we might be able to access them through the Freedom of Information Act, right Laz? ;)). Oh, and as a general rule, law faculties do not accept any NRSL applicants with more than 1 year worth of full time equivalence (ie your only chance to transfer into law is at the end of first year; miss out, then try for graduate law).

-------------------------------------------------------------

Frig, if I transfer what happens to my HECS (Higher Education Contribution Scheme Debt)?

Under the new HECS-HELP scheme, things for us HSC-03ers will be roughly the same. Since our original HECS liability started before 2005, rises in HECS contribution will not affect us, regardless if we transfer or not.
However, there is a change of nomenclature: from 1 June 2006, our accumulated HECS debt will be known as an accumulated HELP (Higher Education Loan Programme) debt. Aside from a change of name and increased minimum threshold before compulsory repayments, there isn't much of a difference as far as I know.

Refer to the 'Information for Commonwealth supported students 2005' booklet you would have received in the mail, or http://www.goingtouni.gov.au/ for more details.

Interestingly, according to Table 1, page 20 of the aforementioned booklet, the Commonwealth only funds $1472 per EFTSL for Law students - what's with that? We law students pay the highest HECS contribution band, ($8k for post-2005 students) yet we receive the lowest funding. In-bloody-equitable I say.

Update 28/10: a friend of mine who is doing a fee-paying degree wants to transfer to a HECS place next year. because he has not had a previous HECS debt, he will not be considered as a pre-2005 HECS student and will therefore be subjected to higher HECS fees.

-----------------------------------------------------------------

Links, gimme links!

UAC (Universities Admission Centre)
UAC: Course Search - search for course codes, information about courses, admission requirements etc
Higher Education Contribution Scheme
Faculty of Law, UNSW: Transfer Applicants
Faculty of Law, ANU: Undergraduate Admissions
Faculty of Law, UTS
Faculty of Law, USyd: Transfer Applicants
Faculty of Law, MacqU: Undergraduate Study
School of Law, UWS -___- how appropriate. otherwise, the current sub-webpage is here.
-----------------------------------------------------------------

Conclusion

I know this has been a very long and biased article but hey, I'm applying for transfer too, so I kinda know what's going on. :)

Remember, if you don't make your transfer, don't be disheartened. Learning is a lifelong journey (alliteration), so don't be sad if you can't make law/medicine/nuclear physics at first go - there's always opportunity in the future if you seek it.

I want to ask if my GPA at first whole year is 4.5 out of 7, Is it possible to do transfer?

LadyBec

KISSmeCHASY
HSC
thanks so much for posting this, it cleared it all up a LOT.
and, seeing as how my selection rank is a LOT higher then my uai was I think I might actually get the transfer I want.
*jumps with joy*

stazi

Nightman
HSC
psych_girl said:
I want to ask if my GPA at first whole year is 4.5 out of 7, Is it possible to do transfer?
as has been said many times: depends on what your uai is, what course youre transferring to, what uni ure transferring to, what your bra size is.

specialjenny

HSC
Hey guys,

I am not sure where to ask this, so here we go.

I have deferred half a year of uni (Because I am applying for another course for 2006 semester one through uac) Well, do people like me normally get offers during early/prem. rounds?

Thanks!

Minai

Alumni
HSC
Uni Grad
Hmm, not sure entirely, but natstar was a deferee (1 year) and she got her offer in the main round (I think, correct me if im wrong natstar)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)