NSW to dump UAI! New Australian Tertiary Admission Rank (ATAR) (1 Viewer)

dellbby

HSC
Re: NSW to dump UAI!

and just when i thought getting a good UAI couldn't get more complicated ><, i mean, i'm not in yr 12 yet, but it probably will be the same next year.

adomad

HSC!!
HSC

is this only going to rank people in NSW or the whole of Australia?

sonyaleeisapixi

inkfacewhorebitchpixie.
HSC

is this only going to rank people in NSW or the whole of Australia?
from what i understand youre ranked against your peers in the state but your rank is now comparable to the ranks of those in other states.
if im right, it makes sense

if im wrong, correct me.

Zedez

HSC
Yeah, your right, but it also means that an ATAR in NSW is meant to be equal to the same ATAR in another state.

hermand

je t'aime.
HSC
"It is important to note that your ranking depends solely on your performance in the HSC. "

does this sound weird to anyone? i'm assuming that it still means it includes assessment marks? but sounds confusing....

Lazarus

Retired
HSC
They don't mean anything weird by it.

They're just trying to emphasise that your marks in Year 7 and Year 10 won't have any impact on your ATAR.

Aerath

Retired
HSC
N/A

None of you were going to get a 100 UAI anyway so it doesn't matter.
Because you know so much about people on BoS. :rolleyes:
But meh – at school today, not many people cared about it. As if anyone that got 100 before wouldn’t have been happy with 99.95.

jules.09

HSC
Ah.

UAC's been kind enough to send me a letter about the ATAR just today, informing me there is absolutely no reason whatsoever to fret, because this alteration is nothing more than a mere name change, a waste of paper and taxpayer's money.

It might be a national standard of achievement numerically, but we don't do examinations from the one board and we aren't literally ranked against the nation so ...

How pointless.

Aerath

Retired
HSC
N/A
Oh I got a letter too. It was nice enough to contain italicised and bolded words. :)

High_Pride

HSC
99.95 ATAR is not the same as 99.95 ENTER, or whatever some other system is used in a different state, is it? How do Universities judge, knowing the courses are different in each state?

hermand

je t'aime.
HSC
They don't mean anything weird by it.

They're just trying to emphasise that your marks in Year 7 and Year 10 won't have any impact on your ATAR.
okay thanks, i was like ohh sweet my rankings might not matter!!!!!!! haha.

Adammmk

HSC
Is this not ridiculously unfair for NSW students?
If the other states don't have as hard and complex material to learn, then they could for example get a 99.95 ATAR with half the amount of effort that people in NSW put in, and yet be ranked the same.
I hope im wrong.

samthebear

HSC
Is this not ridiculously unfair for NSW students?
If the other states don't have as hard and complex material to learn, then they could for example get a 99.95 ATAR with half the amount of effort that people in NSW put in, and yet be ranked the same.
I hope im wrong.
That was what i was wondering about too... i mean i understand that you'll only be ranked aganist your state and the rank (ATAR) would be the same in every other state. but how can that be equally fair if some states have an 'easier' cirriculum (i put 'easier' in quote marks because the content may not be any harder, just less. or vice verca: same or more content but the content is easier).

ATAR = fail without a national cirriculum.

jules.09

HSC
99.95 ATAR is not the same as 99.95 ENTER, or whatever some other system is used in a different state, is it? How do Universities judge, knowing the courses are different in each state?
Uhmm, that's the point. With the exception of Queensland (with their OP system), every course that previously required a UAI will now have an equivalent ATAR cut off.

Adammmk: Well, really, 99.95 ATAR includes the previously 100 and 99.95 UAI equivalent achievers. In effect, there will be more top scorers. You have to admit, that's going to be quite an arduous task to attain such a mark, under either system. It doesn't matter in the end, you're going to get your rank, calibrated against the ATAR, tis all.

samthebear: A national curriculum will take a while to develop. Not sure it's going to be that successful, if there really is a discernable gap in achievement between states.

All this fretting over ATARs. Why hasn't someone complained about converting IB scores into UAIS/ATARs. :p

Last edited:

hermand

je t'aime.
HSC
That was what i was wondering about too... i mean i understand that you'll only be ranked aganist your state and the rank (ATAR) would be the same in every other state. but how can that be equally fair if some states have an 'easier' cirriculum (i put 'easier' in quote marks because the content may not be any harder, just less. or vice verca: same or more content but the content is easier).

ATAR = fail without a national cirriculum.

SSRabbitohs2009

28:06:42:12
HSC
Am I right in feeling that in SOME way, this new system is going to affect my results in a bad way?
Why the frak did this have to happen NOW?

BoS= Fail.

duckcowhybrid

HSC
The other states are using ATAR as well. And a 99.95 in NSW is considered equivalent to a 99.95 anywhere else. Before 100 in NSW was considered the same as 99.95. Put simply, up to 99.75 in UAI gets bumped down in ATAR, but only 50 or so kids state wide really get affected by this in terms of a lower ATAR. Despite this, they can still get into any Uni Course they want with 99.75 so it doesn't matter. Between 99.7 and 99.15 the ATAR = UAI, and after that point ATAR> UAI in increasing levels. The lower at the top is due to the capping at 99.95. As only 45-50 people can have each rank, a few people get shunted down. As I repeated before. This only affects about 50 people that get 99.75+ statewide and will not jeopardize their uni results in any way. The higher at the bottom is due to ATAR being calculated relative to your Year 7 cohort rather than the Year 10 cohort. So the dropkicks that left before Year 10 get added to the stack at the bottom. As it it highly unlikely that such people would have gotten a 90+ UAI it affects the bottom a lot more than the top. Once again, it's similar to the 100 UAI kids all getting affected, then small amounts of 99.95 kids, then smaller amoiunts of 99.9 kids and smalleramounts of kids until no kids get pushed down after 99.75 ATAR. Similarly, stacking the extra dropkicks from Year 7 majorly affects the bottom kids, but as the ATAR rises the effect on kids gets less and less, just that because there's so many of them the effect of the ATAR change filters through till 99.15 UAI, whereas because there's only 23 100 kids, the negative effect only filters through to 99.75. Between these two values, UAI = ATAR.

I hope this cleared up any queries.

kwabon

Banned
HSC

You are still ranked against NSW students only.

Students from each State are only ranked against their own State.

The difference is that ranks will be directly comparable between States - that is, 99.95 in NSW will mean exactly the same as 99.95 in Victoria, etc - and the rank will be called the same thing everywhere - as opposed to "Universities Admission Index" (UAI) in NSW and "Equivalent National Tertiary Entrance Rank" (ENTER) in Victoria.

Just wait for the official announcement guys, there's no need to fret. :)

nah, its not only NSW, its also ACT, which comprises of only 4 people, sooo, there is nothing to worry about :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)