• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Not sure if I should do both modern and ancient history (1 Viewer)

cheap

HSC
I'm planning to do

English adv.
English ex.1
Society and Culture
Biology
Mind and Morality

Any advice? Too wordy? I hear both histories have a lot of content :S
Blegh, wish my school offered more subjects.

Last edited:

sonyaleeisapixi

inkfacewhorebitchpixie.
HSC
They're both brilliant subjects and I personally couldn't choose.

Yes, its alot of content, but at the end of the day your exams will focus on narrow areas. Your core's are source based and it makes it much easier.

I reccomend it. And then History Ex. in year 12.

DOIT
Need moar 5 unit history year 12ers :p

HSC
it depends, history is a subject u have to give 100% to get 100%. i do modern n not anciet mainly due to the topics in ancient didnt strike me. but modern is very politically based in what you learn so keep that in mind. its a fantastic subject but ive had to put about 4-5hrs at macquire uni library for each of my assessments to gather good and relevent historiography. so effect = results ;)

i know people who loved it both and went on to do ext history. but it really it depends on you. i suppose u can drop one of them at the end of yr 11. but really depends on the topic ur school offers and what YOU like and feel comfortable with :)

melissa92

HSC
Uni Grad
Omg..Ancient and Modern History is really hard to decide between..but choose carefully ^_^

agirlinatutu

Im just not ready...
HSC
They are very different subjects, but if you enjoy the histories and do well at them then go for it. Ask you teachers about the differences, because alot of people are mistaken about the actual content

*Baby-K*

HSC
I did ancient in year 11 and then dropped it because I just couldn't keep up, I don't know about modern- my friends do it though and say that it's an interesting subject, shame some of the teachers aren't as good. I had a really good ancient teacher so it was very interesting, the only problem was that he is so passionate about it that we always went off topic and discussed things that were not a part of the syllabus and fell behind :) He was amazing at teaching though I must say! Anyway I think the choice between ancient and modern is hard but it also depends on the teacher who will teach the subject- some can make it extremely boring ie make u read/highlight the book the whole time and some know everything off by heart.
Good luck!
Oh and another thing- if you are thinking about doing both (there is actually a girl at my school who does) keep in mind that your essays/exams/assignments will be due at around the same time and there is ALOT of work/research involved

Last edited:

smushieex

HSC
my friend's doing both modern and ancient next year. He absolutely loves the history subjects, so if you really like history, then just choose both. :)

Aerath

Retired
HSC
N/A
There's nothing wrong with doing both. I think that both subjects are fantastic (despite Ancient having a rep of being a bludgy subject).

sonyaleeisapixi

inkfacewhorebitchpixie.
HSC
Aerath said:
There's nothing wrong with doing both. I think that both subjects are fantastic (despite Ancient having a rep of being a bludgy subject).
Which it really isnt. Its quite difficult in that, unlike in modern, you have to grasp difference social structures and practises that are SO removed from our own.

bored of sc

HSC
sonyaleeisapixi said:
5 unit history
Wow. That's sounds so intense, saying 5-unit history.

To the original thread poster, Sonya is evidence of how rewarding both histories (and extension) can be (in terms of performance and interest in the subject).

So give it a go. You can always drop, change.

By the way, you should definitely like history and/or perform well in the subject.

And, finally, all subjects have alot of content. Welcome the world of the HSC. Choosing a subject because it is considered to have less content is a silly thing to do.

bored of sc

HSC
honeyissweet25 said:
history is a subject u have to give 100% to get 100%.
I'd say that's synonymous with virtually all subjects.

sonyaleeisapixi

inkfacewhorebitchpixie.
HSC
bored of sc said:
Wow. That's sounds so intense, saying 5-unit history.

To the original thread poster, Sonya is evidence of how rewarding both histories (and extension) can be (in terms of performance and interest in the subject).

So give it a go. You can always drop, change.

By the way, you should definitely like history and/or perform well in the subject.

And, finally, all subjects have alot of content. Welcome the world of the HSC. Choosing a subject because it is considered to have less content is a silly thing to do.
Hahaha. I know right?
4unit maths? Pft, pales in comparison to 5u History
XD

And thanks for the talk up kid =D

Bboy-twoFousand

<--JAWR--> Only the Best
HSC
it really depends on you because i took Modern history and dropped out cause i was falling asleep in class... I prefer Ancient... more interesting

-may-cat-

Tired Member
HSC
Bboy-twoFousand said:
it really depends on you because i took Modern history and dropped out cause i was falling asleep in class... I prefer Ancient... more interesting
yea but all subjects are boring in year 11

Matt1120

Basically a History Nerd
HSC
sonyaleeisapixi said:
T
Need moar 5 unit history year 12ers :p
Yay I'm one of them.

Umm if you love everything about history then do both. They're both really good courses. I like modern more than ancient coz its not all just dates and ancient historians. Be prepared to never stop studying history because there is alot of content in both the courses.

-may-cat-

Tired Member
HSC
Matt1120 said:
Yay I'm one of them.

Umm if you love everything about history then do both. They're both really good courses. I like modern more than ancient coz its not all just dates and ancient historians. Be prepared to never stop studying history because there is alot of content in both the courses.
who cares, its fun :)

jessfredbun91

HSC
im doing modern atm and i luv it! im coming first and all u really need to do is know how to write well and remember dates and facts= success!

few friends of mine do both and are struggling a bit but if u can write well go for it!

Aznmichael92

HSC
well my advice is choose whether u like to learn about the past (long time ago) or something just recent

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)