Not Getting ATAR (1 Viewer)

kypros1992

HSC
Is anyone out their not getting ATAR due to lack of units or just not bothered?

-may-cat-

Tired Member
HSC
Sif you wouldn't just tick the box and apply for one anyway, a lot of people end up surprising themselves at the end of the year in terms of what they are able to achieve. It's just that it would suck so hard if you actually went ok and felt like going to uni to pursue some newfound interest and couldn't cuz you didn't tick a box on a sheet a year earlier.

HSC
oh..i thought finish year 12 hsc allowed you to get an atar..didnt know you had to tick a box

Mu5hi

Banned
HSC
oh..i thought finish year 12 hsc allowed you to get an atar..didnt know you had to tick a box
you need 10 units, only which 2 can be category B. Rest have to be Category A. Also there is some subjects which are neither A or B such as photography, and sports and rec.

-may-cat-

Tired Member
HSC
At the start of the year (and again at some point) you get a sheet that confirms your details, what subjects you are taking etc. It also asks whether you would like to be eligible for an ATAR, you can elect not to get one if you wish.

Jaylee42003

HSC
Sif you wouldn't just tick the box and apply for one anyway, a lot of people end up surprising themselves at the end of the year in terms of what they are able to achieve. It's just that it would suck so hard if you actually went ok and felt like going to uni to pursue some newfound interest and couldn't cuz you didn't tick a box on a sheet a year earlier.
+1

I mean, how hard can it be, and how stupid can you be to NOT tick the box at the time? Coz most likely your career plans/interests are not the same at the end of yr 12...if you didn't apply for one I'd say you made a huge mistake *fp*

danal353

HSC
^ but what if it's from a lack of units? Some people might really want to do certain subjects and decide to go to tafe afterwards.

-may-cat-

Tired Member
HSC
^ but what if it's from a lack of units? Some people might really want to do certain subjects and decide to go to tafe afterwards.
Thats different, i'm talking about those who are like 'i'm going do shit anyway so whats the point' or 'i have no idea what i want to do after year 12, so i wont bother'

Aerath

Retired
HSC
N/A
At the start of the year (and again at some point) you get a sheet that confirms your details, what subjects you are taking etc. It also asks whether you would like to be eligible for an ATAR, you can elect not to get one if you wish.
Oh shit. I don't ever remember ticking a box. =(

astroe

HSC
Isn't it better to complete Year 12 then to leave in Year 10 or something?
Oh, and yes, I remember ticking a box!

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
There was no such thing as "ticking the box". It was simply some sheet where you had to read over to see whether you have correct amounts units, subjects and etc. and sign the sheet. But even if you have enough units, if you don't want ATAR, you could always say no - but I see no point in that,

-may-cat-

Tired Member
HSC
There was no such thing as "ticking the box". It was simply some sheet where you had to read over to see whether you have correct amounts units, subjects and etc. and sign the sheet. But even if you have enough units, if you don't want ATAR, you could always say no - but I see no point in that,
There was when i did it, i remember because i thought it was really stupid.

Aerath

Retired
HSC
N/A
Yeah, this is what I remember.

-may-cat-

Tired Member
HSC
Perhaps they changed it with the introduction of the ATAR, though that doesn't really make sense does it as it was only announced fairly recently? Either way, i don't see why you would elect not to get one.

Jaylee42003

HSC
I ticked a box!!

alisondance

HSC
Isn't it better to complete Year 12 then to leave in Year 10 or something?!
debatable, depend on the individual. my brother left at yr 10 with an apprenticeship another 2 yrs of stress woulda killed him my parents and the teachers. in the end a trade was the best choice for him as was tafe, others may need two extra years to 'mature' enough to enter the workforce, others are more capable, put a higher value on education or have it as one of their goals and so continue.
it all depends on the individual, a piece of paper does not necessarily make a difference in the long run...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)