• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Nokia N93 vs. N80 vs. N73 vs. E70 (1 Viewer)

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
So many Nokia models nowadays... what happened to the time where it was easy to pick a model?

Any tips?

breaking

paint huffing moron
HSC
i have an n73 and it is FTMFW. fantastic screen, excellent battery life, great camera etc. $15 a month on voda $49 supercap.

mr_brightside

frakfrakfrakcackmackshack
HSC
hey matt! I was gonna get an N73 but Telstra are cunting around with it. Is yours stable, there has been lots of stability issues with the N73.

Ima get the N80 instead.

breaking

paint huffing moron
HSC
nah dont get the n80, its as thick as a big black cock and battery life isnt all that good. plus the sliding mechanism is ghey.
you can play with my n73 at the meat and see what j00 think of it. and yep mine is stable.

mr_brightside

HSC
Yeah i've already seen the N73's, my boss has one. Telstra "doesnt have them".
So n80 is my only option ill prolly get it tomorrow. if its too thick or if it cunts me around ill tell telsta to fuck themselves and switch to 3 or something.

B35tY

HSC
You mean the n91. I'd be first in line for the 8gb black edition, but the screen is a major downgrade to my current one (QVGA vs shitty 176x208 or whatever it is). Unless you can convince me that it's not that bad...

Regarding n80 vs n73, I'd buy the n73, unless you're in need of Wifi. For reasons listed above (better battery life, no dodgy slide, cooler looking), n73>n80, but it has no wifi.

N93's the newest one, and it's a beast of a phone. It's also far too large IMO, and most people will waste the video capabilities, which is the phone's main selling point.

E70 is sweet-looking, but i don't know how usable that keypad is. Try before you buy?? It also has less multimedia features (it's a business phone!) than the others.

Therefore your choice.

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
You guys raised the same issues I got from reading the net... I'd like wifi, but then chances are I probably wouldn't really need it since the screen isn't that big. The only thing which I'd really want wifi for is so I could get my PC to synchronise from far away in my house or at work to receive emails.

Main requirement: series60 with memory card.

Whilst I'd prefer something not too big/heavy (which rules out the N93), I'd like something which is very functional and full of connectivity (hence the N80 vs. N73). Camera isn't that important to me (as in, I don't mind if it's not autofocus Carl Zeiss- but it needs to be decent), but I like having a good screen.

As mentioned though the slider on the N80 isn't that good? I use a D600 and I love the slider on that- but after playing with one of those dummy N80s, I found it very difficult to open without either putting my finger/thumb on the screen or at the bottom and pushing up. *shrugs*

N91 is off the list because whilst it looks cool and I love the slider (reminds me of 88xx/89xx), I don't really need another mp3 player.

As for SonyEricsson- I can't get my head around them. On paper they sound great, but I hated my w800i. Unstable, slow UI, odd arrangement (by my standards), etc...

So.. any tips?

Thanks for the feedback so far though- very helpful.

B35tY

HSC
series 60 w/ memory card isn't too hard to satisfy, so personal tastes may decide the rest for you. N73/80 are quite similar in connectivity, so it'll be

battery life + no slide

VS

better screen + Wifi

From then on its your personal preference

B35tY

HSC
Too big.

For such a large screen QVGA isn't that impressive, since big screen = lower pixel density.

I expect it to cost a ton.

It'll take Australia 5 years to even support HSDPA, so why bother?

Most people won't use GPS.

Unproven form factor.

I'd wait until the phone actually comes out before making a judgement, it certainly doesn't seem infallible.

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
I'm actually very interested in N95- if it was out, I'd pick that for sure. But then I'd also want that Maps program with inbuilt satnav (save me from having to buy a satnav myself or the GPS program/etc.. for s60).

As it stands, I'm still undecided between N73 and N80. Which one do you guys reckon is a better buy assuming you could have either? I admit I'm leaning towards N73 now after seeing a few more around the place.

mr_brightside

HSC
seremify007 said:
I'm actually very interested in N95- if it was out, I'd pick that for sure. But then I'd also want that Maps program with inbuilt satnav (save me from having to buy a satnav myself or the GPS program/etc.. for s60).

As it stands, I'm still undecided between N73 and N80. Which one do you guys reckon is a better buy assuming you could have either? I admit I'm leaning towards N73 now after seeing a few more around the place.
N95 looks FUCKING hot. Not out till Q1 07 apparently.

The only reason I'm going for the N80 is cause Telstra pulled the N73 cause it had MAJOR problems. I'm hearing the firmware fix is great though and they are going strong. So I'm not sure whether to cunt telstra off and buy one outright or switch provider or something.

I do want the N80, tis a bit chunky, but this WLAN and uPnP sounds hot. I could browse the internets on my lounge couch. But then battery pwnage. Oh the humanities. Whats to get!

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
I agree with you about the hot factor of surfing net from couch. Although practically speaking, it'll probably become crap like surfing the net on PSP wifi, the instant email notification via pop3 is very attractive.

If I could, I'd go N95.

But I'm thinking after thinking about my need for wifi pop3, it's a tossup between N80 and N93. N80 looks a lot more practical in terms of "portability", but the N93 does look cool with the swivel-ness.

Supra

secksy beast
HSC
N95 is gonna be pricey though...rumours of 500 odd euros/1400 dollars etc on GSMArena...all speculation im waiting till next year

But for now I think I might get the N73 ona Virgin 40 dollar plan...and use my Vodafone sim in that...its 40 for the first 6 months, hten 20 from thereon

B35tY

HSC
politik said:
Are you stupid? Vodafone and Telstra both have HSDPA 3.5G networks switched on. EVER HEARD OF NEXT-G NETWORK?
Ah, really? Sorry about that. I never listen to Telstra's bullshit, because usually it is just that.

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
I also didn't realise Next-G was 3.5G... thought it was just their way of branding their traditional 3G service, much like how they tried to flog i-mode as being almost 3G.

Anyhow, I think it's come down to N80 vs N93 purely because I realised how important wifi is. After thinking some more about it, the N93 seems to be only good for the (video) camera and swivel screen, and TVoutput- after using my D600 (also with TVoutput) and realising I don't really need such a feature, I think the extra size is too much of a negative to survive with the video camera and swivel screen.

Conclusion: N80 Internet Edition

Thanks for all your help guys! And thanks for not hijacking my thread Supra.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)