New english syllabus for 2009 hsc (New AOS - Belonging) (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.

happyness

HSC
Well fellow 09ers' , what are your thoughts on our year being the first to undertake the 'Belonging' area of study for English?

Personally, I think marking will be lenient as it's going to be the first year, and no standards will have been set. But then again, a major hindrance is that there will be no resources to refer to- no past papers!!!

ahhliss

HSC
N/A
Re: Belonging- Area of Study

Damn, I never thought of that. The teacher told us we were the first group doing "Belonging" but I never thought about it.
Past papers won't help because the HSC is content based right?
If they are lenient, would it help? I thought we were compared to everyone so whatever the standard of marking, the better people still score higher.

happyness

HSC

ahhliss said:
Past papers won't help because the HSC is content based right?
If they are lenient, would it help? I thought we were compared to everyone so whatever the standard of marking, the better people still score higher.
... I don't really understand what you're trying to say about the past papers. But what I was trying to imply was that past papers provide practice and give students a general gist on the types of questions asked. Yet as we are going to be the first year we will have no resources to refer to and will be oblivious to the nature of the questions.

Yes the answers of a higher standard would score better, but what i'm trying to say is that the markers have seen years of HSC papers on the 'Journeys' area of study. Therefore, we would be placed at an advantage as they haven't seen it all before and no standards have been set.

ahhliss

HSC
N/A

I mean, would we be able to practise on the past papers? They'd have questions on our text right? If "Belonging" hasn't been done before, the questions may be all off topic.
By standard, I mean the stardard they are marking by, how tough of a marker they are. If they marked more leniently, it would apply to everyone and therefore make no difference to our ranking right?
I really don't know how HSC marking works so if this makes no sense, please ignore it xD

jellybelly59

HSC

happyness said:
... I don't really understand what you're trying to say about the past papers. But what I was trying to imply was that past papers provide practice and give students a general gist on the types of questions asked. Yet as we are going to be the first year we will have no resources to refer to and will be oblivious to the nature of the questions.

Yes the answers of a higher standard would score better, but what i'm trying to say is that the markers have seen years of HSC papers on the 'Journeys' area of study. Therefore, we would be placed at an advantage as they haven't seen it all before and no standards have been set.
I asked cem before last year and since she was a HSC marker that each marker has to go through like rounds of papers to compare what is a higher order response to the question and they find out what is a band 1,2,3,4,5 and 6. By then each marker would have gone through 40 or 50 HSC papers for belonging. So i don't think there would be an advantage there. Also, they have a marking criteria that i would believe they would use most effectively LOL.

As for the lack of practice papers and our lack of closure on the nature of the questions, I think it will be a bummer for us 09ers

happyness

HSC

jellybelly59 said:
I asked cem before last year and since she was a HSC marker that each marker has to go through like rounds of papers to compare what is a higher order response to the question and they find out what is a band 1,2,3,4,5 and 6. By then each marker would have gone through 40 or 50 HSC papers for belonging. So i don't think there would be an advantage there. Also, they have a marking criteria that i would believe they would use most effectively LOL.
Maybe i'm not expressing myself clearly :rolleyes: . What i'm trying to say is that when we sit the HSC markers have not seen past high quality answers throughout years of marking which have received 14 or 15/15 (especially the extended sections - Questions II and III). Therefore the range of answers our papers are being compared to by each marker wouldn't be that large, and would only be based on the number of papers they mark for our year. Basically the high quality answers in our year will set the benchmark, until further years sit the paper.

No doubt the quality would keep on getting better and better throughout the years, as students become familiar with the area of study and have resources (past HSC papers) to refer to. Hence, people who had been given a 14 or 15/15 in the first year of 'belonging' might only get a mark of 13/15 in the fourth year.

Last edited:

TurkStyle

HSC

ahhliss so isnt that emoticon in ure signature driving?

rosypink

HSC

omg i never knew we were the first yr group to do' Belonging'...why is it always our yr group??
first it was the SC computer exam (even though it was easy but a waste of my time!!!!) and now this..hmmm..i guess it could be a good thing..markers might be very lenient hopefully :)

hollyy.

stop looking at me swan.
HSC

rosypink said:
omg i never knew we were the first yr group to do' Belonging'...why is it always our yr group??
first it was the SC computer exam (even though it was easy but a waste of my time!!!!) and now this..hmmm..i guess it could be a good thing..markers might be very lenient hopefully :)
ahh correction, my year did the computer exam.

ahhliss

HSC
N/A

hollyy. said:
ahh correction, my year did the computer exam.
Aha I was just about to say. I think the 2008 were the first. I remember actually looking at half the past paper for computers. Such a waste of time >.<"

rosypink

HSC

wow whoopss big mistake...how could i forget we werent the 1st to do it..hmmm i must be distracted =[ didnt even realise - how pathetic!!!

sikhman

HSC
N/A

yeah.....one of our teachers was telling us that the answers that are mandated by the bos are not necessarily adhered to....because if no-one gives those answers, they alter the marking criteria to make it more realistic.

besides, everything gets scaled + uai is a rank, not a mark, so lenience shouldn't be a big issue

deliberately

HSC

yeah we won't have past papers but at least there'll be a lot of originality? iono. anyone got any idea on what texts fall into the category of "belonging"?

sikhman

HSC
N/A

everything which has to do with 'fitting in' e.g. texts about immigrants, even brave new world to an extent....

our texts include the namesake, swallow the air, rainbow's end, ten canoes, romulus, my father...

bored of sc

HSC

jellybelly59 said:
i heard it was originally meant to be power but then it got leaked.... power seems more interesting the belonging but *shrug*
belonging is actually quite relevant to everyday life - everyone wants to belong - I come across myriad examples of people trying to fit in - just today someone low-life said to me "looking-good" in a stupid, apparently cool voice to make his friend laugh - he was obviously discontent with his own body weight that he is trying to belong by putting people he doesn't know down

dv3

HSC
2009 English Advanced Syllabus Change NO!!!!!!

Well as most of you know the boardofstudies is changing the syllabus next year "2009" for English Advanced (not sure if its the same for Standard???).

That means we wont get to study the awfully dreaded book "King Lear" YAY!!

......actually not really that means all the info on this site about king lear is for nothing. i hate it when they make us the first test subjects :mad1:

Who else thinks its a bad plan (or good)

LibrarianLouise

HSC
N/A
Re: Belonging in 2009

2009 English HSC students will be changing from "Journeys" to "Belonging" - besides your set texts from the syllabus you will also be asked to read other texts with this theme. Some public libraries have got together and already come up with a list of possible other texts you could read. Their suggested list is on this website:- www.insidebreak.org.au. The list includes a discussion of what sorts of terms you could see being used in books about the theme "belonging". The list is divided into fiction, non-fiction, picture books, movies, poetry etc. The librarians that have made the list always recommend that you check with your teacher before using a text.
LibrarianLouise

HSC
New english syllabus for 2009 hsc??

What on earth is going on? Apparently there's a new english syllabus for 2009, and it's NOT journey.

Is this just playground gossip? please verify comrades.

Pacchiru

like bonnie and clyde
HSC
Re: New english syllabus for 2009 hsc??

notovereighteen said:
What on earth is going on? Apparently there's a new english syllabus for 2009, and it's NOT journey.

Is this just playground gossip? please verify comrades.
Duh.. you're early. It's belonging. I'm currently doing it. It's alright but it's crap with no refrences on the internet and no past notes to help.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)