New english syllabus for 2009 hsc (New AOS - Belonging) (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
Re: English HSC 2009 Belonging whats is everone thinking

I am actually quite glad. I was concerned about some minority group of retards who learnt off the essays that former students wrote on the topic of Journey.

Since it is the new course and there are no existing information on the topic, everyone will be truly equal (or more equal).

bored of sc

HSC

:)

Pacchiru

like bonnie and clyde
HSC

I like it. I'm doing The Immigrant Chronicles, and although belonging seems like another health class lesson, it's pretty alright.

monesh

HSC

Every yr 12 student next year is on a even playing field. No notes from previous years, it separates the smart from the retards.

aeiss

HSC

woohoo nullification of tutor/past papers
which means less revenue for uni tutors but hey we'll be first through we can utilize our newfound 'experience'
looking good
although i'm not too happy with some of the texts
but thats okay.

such a pity im not doing 3u english, science fiction module is looking nice as well
oh well

jules.09

HSC
I'm admittedly excited about this new AOS. It's a change and as people have said prior to my post, we're all on an even playing field. I don't think it was power that was meant to be the AOS, because my school did power last year (in year 10) and now we're covered change (year 11).

If there are too many essays out there to appropriate and tweak, it's going to be harsher competition if people memorise things, seeing as it's done before. Markers want innovation.

Belonging like all other AOS's: Express philosophy? :)

Aerath

Retired
HSC
N/A
I like the changes - everyone is pretty much on a level playing field now. :)

marcquelle

a.k.a. Michael...Hi!
HSC
Aplus said:
New AoS seems quite easy.
i concur seems very open to personal interpretation & such.

ps. I love the changes to the Ext. Syllabus, dissappointed in the Adv. Syllabus

jules.09

HSC
the-derivative said:
True. Now you have to depend on your english skills and you cannot just depend on your regurgitation skills.

A lot fairer in my opinion.
Yes, that's exactly the point.

But I would believe the most important thing to walk into an english exam with is, an opinion, YOUR opinion.

And of course, the evidence to support it. :)

bawd

HSC
Kaatie said:
it says we have to study 5 texts but if we choose a pair in module a and 1 in module b and one in module c, where does the 5th one come from?
I believe it is a related text of your own choosing.

super-shinobi

HSC
Lol tutors are changing to accommodate the new syllabus too. I know people who go to english tutors. Hmmm dont know how theyre doing it though... Lol I suck at english >.>" Ill probably regurgitate something.. If I write an essay just like that in an exam, I wont write much and the quality will be alot crappier than crappy.

Bobness

English / Law
HSC
N/A
super-shinobi said:
Lol tutors are changing to accommodate the new syllabus too. I know people who go to english tutors. Hmmm dont know how theyre doing it though... Lol I suck at english >.>" Ill probably regurgitate something.. If I write an essay just like that in an exam, I wont write much and the quality will be alot crappier than crappy.
I only know of English Teachers who are changing / updating their resources to accommodate the new syllabus, not just any old 'tutors'.

Otherwise, i would like to know how anyone who is not involved intimately with english in secondary schools can access the teaching plans for Belonging et al, as it means students will have no incentive to listen to their teachers in class anymore (if for eg the copyright material i have is mass-produced). Probably just certain individuals / colleges claiming they have the holy grail of materials, when the final say on the new syllabus still has not been confirmed - at least i hope so to preserve the integrity of Advanced teaching.

I am pretty certain though, it is just uni 'tutors' trying to amend a couple of their thesis points from 'change' and 'journeys' so that it makes sense in terms of the new aos - this is probably not the way to go from all sources i have.

09ers: You can take what i say with a grain of salt, but it is an informed personal viewpoint from a variety of perspectives and collaboration.
aeiss said:
woohoo nullification of tutor/past papers

which means less revenue for uni tutors but hey we'll be first through we can utilize our newfound 'experience'

looking good

although i'm not too happy with some of the texts

but thats okay.
Yes it is better for your cohort when you graduate and help the lower years, but remember teachers know best ;):p

slikchick

HSC
I have attached a list of related DVDs to support the new English (Area of study) Belonging. Hope it is helpful. If you would like more recommendations - let me know. There is SO much stuff out there - it is a smorgasbord!

marcquelle

a.k.a. Michael...Hi!
HSC
slikchick said:
I have attached a list of related DVDs to support the new English (Area of study) Belonging. Hope it is helpful. If you would like more recommendations - let me know. There is SO much stuff out there - it is a smorgasbord!
some of those seem like interesting choices
& some of them are prescribed texts.

got anything else

Bobness

English / Law
HSC
N/A
Re: New english syllabus for 2009 hsc??

Without Wings said:
There aren't 3 areas, there is just a sole focus/concept 'Belonging'.

Bobness: I believe it depends on the tutor and can't be generalised so simply. That being said it is important for those looking for a tutor to ensure their tutor knows what they are talking about. ;) Oh and just to prove a point, I have access to quite a large range of resources in relation to the new prescribed texts and area of study and I'm not a secondary English teacher.
I thought you studied education at UOW? And so, would have undergone pracs at local high schools. Or do you do primary school education?

Of course, not 100% of colleges/tutors will be like this. However, i was providing a personal viewpoint in regards to the commoditisation of information which i am against, having worked in the college environment for many years.

Speak to exphate, he will understand what i mean by how classroom teachers, or those with experience in secondary schools, will know how to best cater for students and use materials efficiently. It is a pedagogical argument though.

The DVD list was pretty comprehensive, even if many of the texts are prescribed (mainly in its prose format ie Year of Living Dangerously) or very popular choices.

However, for those studying a film as their prescribed text, looking for poems / short stories would be more desirable.

youngminii

Banned
HSC
Re: New english syllabus for 2009 hsc??

Without Wings said:
There aren't 3 areas, there is just a sole focus/concept 'Belonging'.
I'm quite sure that this alone will screw the tutors over. They'll be too used to having 3 areas.
Anyways, I'm kind of glad. My family isn't rich enough to send me to English tutor (in fact, we spent most of our savings on my maths/physics tuition). So I'm just really happy that people can't over-cheat with their tutor's help.
I also happen to have quite an original mind, so I'm sure this'll be a good chance for me to exercise my mind =D

Oh yeah, it'll also make us '09ers #1 choices for tutelage afterwards. 'Cause you know, we'll be the only ones who have done Belonging.
$$$

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)