My subject selection. (1 Viewer)

robgooden333

HSC
These are the subjects im thinking about doing. What do you think?

3u English
Legal Studies
Buisiness Studies
Modern History
Chemistry
Gen Maths

Brontecat

HSC
they look pretty good, if you dont know what you want to do yet it covers everything: science, humanities, maths and english

but to really make a correct judgement you need to make sure that they fit you're interests and abilities

muzeikchun852

HSC

3u English
Legal Studies
Buisiness Studies
Modern History
Chemistry
Gen Maths
if u are doing two humanlities..
why dont u replace one of them to economics?!
is similar to business studies..
and it got a way higher scaling than business and legal..

Rockyroad

Banned
HSC

3u English
Legal Studies
Buisiness Studies
Modern History
Chemistry
Gen Maths
I can only give you my opinion, that is - my own preferences.
If I had my time over I would do legal studies. So good choice there. I love modern and don't regret it at all.
I started chem and found it boring so I wouldn't do it.
Business studies - pfff nah I wouldn't do that.
And I don't really see the point of doing general maths. If you need maths in uni then you'll need advanced maths. So why do general?
And if you don't think you can do advanced maths then I think you'd probably do better in the humanities than the sciences like chem.

Also - do history extension - it starts in year 12 and its fab.

Also - it all depends on what the purpose of your education is: are you aiming just for a atar and uni entry or are you interested in getting a great education and becoming an 'informed citizen'

Last edited:

robgooden333

HSC
if u are doing two humanlities..
why dont u replace one of them to economics?!
is similar to business studies..
and it got a way higher scaling than business and legal..
Yeah, I was thinking about Economics. I've heard alot of people say it's very hard, and that you need a good maths base. Thats my problem, Im fairly poor at maths, and find it so boring. I think thats why I struggle a bit.

I am equal top in the class in commerce this year. Would you say that this would be a fairly good guide as to if I would be able to grasp the concepts of economics, despite my lack of mathematical ability.

What about chemistry. I am good at science (top class) but would chemistry become to mathematical for me to grasp?

Uncle

Banned
HSC
Really disappointing you didn't choose Physics and contrary to belief the fact is, like ALL HSC sciences, they only require up to Year 10 level maths.
Chemistry involves a fair bit of rearranging equations.

annabackwards

<3 Prophet 9
HSC
Modern and chemistry FTW.

If you have decent memory then i suggest attempting advanced math instead of general. Only do general if you pretty much only managed to pass year 8 statistics and failed everything else.

You should consider doing economics instead of business studies. There isn't that much math in it as i've heard from my friend) and as you were topping commerce you should be fine :)

lychnobity

HSC

3u English
Legal Studies
Buisiness Studies
Modern History
Chemistry
Gen Maths
All excellent choices, except for general maths and business studies, it's "like commerce in boring, gory detail" (quoted from friend).

Economics is soul-destroying-ly boring (read the textbook for "fun" when I was bored).

Would personally recommend a switch to Mathematics and Business Studies to something like Society and Culture (it's something like History, with a focus on anthropology-like studies).

ninetypercent

ninety ninety ninety
HSC
you're asking for my opinion, so I will give it, but it is very biased

3u English: From what I hear, it is interesting
Legal Studies: Boring, a lot of essay writing involved and dry as it required too much memorisation
Buisiness Studies: dry. I'd rather do Economics, as it covers things in a wider spectrum
Modern History: good. You will be dealing with politics and stuff.
Chemistry: BORING!!! OMG I TOTALLY HATE THIS SUBJECT! It's so boring!
Gen Maths: a waste of time.. I hear that it is boring and VERY EASY

Just do whatever you like... hope my post didn't alter your subject selection!

robgooden333

HSC
Modern and chemistry FTW.

If you have decent memory then i suggest attempting advanced math instead of general. Only do general if you pretty much only managed to pass year 8 statistics and failed everything else.

You should consider doing economics instead of business studies. There isn't that much math in it as i've heard from my friend) and as you were topping commerce you should be fine :)

I would do advanced maths (because general scales like crap). But im doing year 10 advanced atm, and its really hard. I've only passed one test this year, and I am ranked 55/56. So I'm not sure they would even let me take Advanced maths next year. Infact you need to maintain a 70% average to get in, mines only about 40. So I think im stuck with general. But they way I see it, if i choose enough units, then maths wont count, (which is good because of its scaling) and thats better than doing no maths at all, because you need do atleast some maths. (Even if it's only general)

K

khorne

Are you studying or even trying? Because i think it's practically impossible to fail a maths test if you study for it.

Official

Bring it on
HSC
Are you studying or even trying? Because i think it's practically impossible to fail a maths test if you study for it.
That of course is one's opinion, for others maths is the most difficult subject ever, despite extensive study.

electrolysis

congenital schmuck
HSC
Yeah, I was thinking about Economics. I've heard alot of people say it's very hard, and that you need a good maths base. Thats my problem, Im fairly poor at maths, and find it so boring. I think thats why I struggle a bit.

I am equal top in the class in commerce this year. Would you say that this would be a fairly good guide as to if I would be able to grasp the concepts of economics, despite my lack of mathematical ability.
eco doesnt require much maths, theres just a couple of equations here and there that are really easy to memorise, most of it is just a lot of theory linked to current economic issues
also if you're really good at commerce then eco should definitely be a top choice, a lot of stuff follow on through in the beginning of year 11.
and about the hardness, if you have an interest in it, you cant go wrong, but if you dont, it will quickly become boring and you'll lose any motivation to go on.. you could always just try it out and drop it if you dont like it :)

lpodnano

5eva alone
HSC
I agree. Although there are people who just refuse to study for math or may look over their textbook (which i suppose is some form of legitimate study) and get <40%. My friend finds math difficult. She studied her arse off and got 41%.

Dumbledore

HSC
I agree. Although there are people who just refuse to study for math or may look over their textbook (which i suppose is some form of legitimate study) and get <40%. My friend finds math difficult. She studied her arse off and got 41%.
this makes no sense...

mcromancer

HSC
Well she does have poor techniques when studying math.
That's the problem, you can't "study" maths like any other subject. The only way to prepare for a maths exam is to do the actual questions, but i guess you could call memorising formulas as the only type of study...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)