My subject selection. (1 Viewer)

randomnessss

HSC
Uni Grad
Opinions:

3U English:
Fun and a lot better than Eng Adv. but can be demanding at times.

Legal Studies:
It is easy but you have to be able to write a lot and memorise stuff.

Business Studies:
Quite dry.

Modern History:
It is easy and interesting but you have to be able to write a substantial amount.

Chemistry:
It's really easy. The first topic is quite boring though. If you don't like/don't understand the chemistry you have done in previous years, don't do it since you are bound to fall behind or not do as well as you had hoped.

Gen Maths:
Unless you are absolutely failing Yr 10 maths, do not consider it. It is basically a repeat of Yr 10 maths with a few extra easy topics. Doing Advanced Maths (2U) would be much better since you probably won't get as bored in it.

slyhunter

Retired
HSC
Opinions:

3U English:
Fun and a lot better than Eng Adv. but can be demanding at times.

Legal Studies:
It is easy but you have to be able to write a lot and memorise stuff.

Business Studies:
Quite dry.

Modern History:
It is easy and interesting but you have to be able to write a substantial amount.

Chemistry:
It's really easy. The first topic is quite boring though. If you don't like/don't understand the chemistry you have done in previous years, don't do it since you are bound to fall behind or not do as well as you had hoped.

Gen Maths:
Unless you are absolutely failing Yr 10 maths, do not consider it. It is basically a repeat of Yr 10 maths with a few extra easy topics. Doing Advanced Maths (2U) would be much better since you probably won't get as bored in it.
nice overviews. completely agree esp. with the general maths

de__locke

HSC
Thanks for the overview.
A question: I do Advanced Maths (5.3) at the moment, but have failed 2 out of 3 tests this year despite studying. I don't mind maths in general but I HATE algebra and don't understand it at all (and I know how important algebra is for 2-unit). I got recommended for Gen. Maths.
Should I do General or just drop Maths?

lpodnano

5eva alone
HSC
Thanks for the overview.
A question: I do Advanced Maths (5.3) at the moment, but have failed 2 out of 3 tests this year despite studying. I don't mind maths in general but I HATE algebra and don't understand it at all (and I know how important algebra is for 2-unit). I got recommended for Gen. Maths.
Well you should do general if you are motivated to study and enjoy math. It is also good for life skills and etc... But if you are constantly forcing yourself to do it just drop it. General math also scales bad, so if you are doing it for the sake of doing it, you'd be better off doing something else.

de__locke

HSC
Honestly, I'm doing it for the units. But it's all the easy sort of maths that I can do (trig, volume + surface area, etc)
thankyou :]

Rockyroad

Banned
HSC
Thanks for the overview.

Ergh. Drop it!
Please somebody tell me - what is the point of doing general maths?!
Algebra is the easiest funnest bit of maths.
It's not like there's a topic in advanced maths called algebra. You don't study it, it is involved in basically everything. It's the most logical delicious thing ever.

slyhunter

Retired
HSC
Ergh. Drop it!
Please somebody tell me - what is the point of doing general maths?!
Algebra is the easiest funnest bit of maths.
It's not like there's a topic in advanced maths called algebra. You don't study it, it is involved in basically everything. It's the most logical delicious thing ever.
hmm not much point unless you're: wasting units, bludging or get 100% in it w/o studying to prove its pointlessness

slyhunter

Retired
HSC
i dont get algebra either. the concept of adding and combining letters and numbers is absolutely ridiculous

de__locke

HSC
^^ thankyou! it is certainly ridiculous and completely illogical. [when you don't understand it, anyway]

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)