• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

My Subject Selection (yes another one) (1 Viewer)

sam5

HSC
i disagree. ^^^

Legal gets worse in year 12. Law and society is boring, crime is way too long, and the options are poorly designed and are pointless.

I do consumers which is too disjointed, and shelter which is bland.

Plus u will have to learn cases and media reports (title, date, source)

But then again, i like science, so of course im gonna say legal is crap!

slyhunter

Retired
HSC
Isn't learning about cases and media reports naturally part of legal studies and indeed law?

HSC
i disagree. ^^^

Legal gets worse in year 12. Law and society is boring, crime is way too long, and the options are poorly designed and are pointless.

I do consumers which is too disjointed, and shelter which is bland.

Plus u will have to learn cases and media reports (title, date, source)

But then again, i like science, so of course im gonna say legal is crap!
ummmm well obviously you have to learn cases. and honestly its not that hard.

if you hate it so much, why didnt you drop it?

legal is easy. i do consumers too and yeah its not that great but its so easy.
family is a better option. and crime is straight forward.

Isn't learning about cases and media reports naturally part of legal studies and indeed law?
+ 1

Miss Code

HSC
This PIP project for S&C sounds really hard and time consuming???
BTW my other subject choices are maths, maths ext 1, adv english, bio, chem, religion I and...S&C (not sure)
I spent the whole 9 months doing my pip, its not small... unless you leave it and end up with 14 pages total like one girl I know the teacher didnt want to send it!

LORDYgordy

HSC
i'm doing the best combo: chemistry physics maths ext1 english ext1

tried and tested :)

HSC
This PIP project for S&C sounds really hard and time consuming??? BTW my other subject choices are maths, maths ext 1, adv english, bio, chem, religion I and...S&C (not sure)
Hmm, well it depends. I have pretty high standards, and my aim was a high band six. It is a lot of work (the PIP), but I believe it can also be one of the most rewarding things in high school. I'm not the most organised person though, so finishing it was pretty hectic (even though I hated it at times I still don't think that it's too big to avoid society, if you think about it it's actually worth about as much as your trial which doesnt take anywhere near as long to study for - I would have preferred it to be more for the effort( but I havent gotten it back yet so I might have to eat my words). Plus, the rest of the society course is not as hard in comparison to other subjects if you like it and don't mind essays. I agree with slyhunter, if you're really keen to do it, go for it by all means:)

My sister and my parents didn't think I should do society, but so far it's been one of my best subjects and I think thus will contribute significantly to my final mark, so I'm quite happy with it. If YOU are personally interested in it, my ultimate suggestion is still to take the class, and see if you still like it by the end of the first few weeks. That's how I decided to drop chem in the first week, and pick up eco (and eventually drop that too) :p

Looking at your subject choices I'm still not sure if you would be the most likely society student, but definitely it could work and I don't think anyone in my society class takes identical subjects. If you do belief systems in yr 12 it might tie in with religion 1 (society helped me with english extension last year in regards to imperialism and stuff:p) It might also help complement your english skills in expression which is always a good idea since your english units are going to count regardless.

Plus, even if you take the whole year to decide if you drop society you have enough units. They may all count but there's no point in doing subjects that are definitely going to be backup unless you really like them I reckon. (I do 11 units in Year 12 btw, dropped a 2 unit subject, and I think 11 is a good number for me :D) Like I said, the only way you'll know for sure is sitting/engaging with the classroom atmosphere and seeing what society and culture is all about:)...And if you hate it, then drop it and try something else you might be considering instead.

Good luck with subject selections. Even if you don't get it right the first time, that's what the first few weeks of Year 11 are for (and for that matter if you have over 10 units you still have leeway anytime until the end of Year 12) :D

bv

HSC
3U Maths Ex 1
3U English Ex 1
2U Studies of Religion II
2U Legal Studies
2U Modern History

Yeah i'm sure l dont want to become a scientist or engineer. What i'd like to do after school would be to join the ADF or do something like Arts/Law.

Any comments about the workload i'm going to suffer from/scaling or whatever?
umm if you wanna do a science or engineering, would it not be beneficial to do a science???
trust me, I picked all humanities subjects and am regretting not choosing a science.. I wanna do engineering now too, but must work extra hard with my humanities to get it,
but again in saying that, science is not as essential to an engineering course as mathematics, as far as my research tells me..
I did legal studies, but I dropped it because I had 13 units and it was not going to be very beneficial for uni..
I really wish I did physics
make sure u check out the assumed knowledge etc for the course u are interested in..
ext eng(um eww), replace with 4 unit maths in yr 12 ( sorry just my opinion) :)

good luck

slyhunter

Retired
HSC
umm if you wanna do a science or engineering, would it not be beneficial to do a science???
trust me, I picked all humanities subjects and am regretting not choosing a science.. I wanna do engineering now too, but must work extra hard with my humanities to get it,
but again in saying that, science is not as essential to an engineering course as mathematics, as far as my research tells me..
I did legal studies, but I dropped it because I had 13 units and it was not going to be very beneficial for uni..
I really wish I did physics
make sure u check out the assumed knowledge etc for the course u are interested in..
ext eng(um eww), replace with 4 unit maths in yr 12 ( sorry just my opinion) :)

good luck
Engineering

UNSW Assumed Knowledge: MX1, Physics / Recommended: MX2, Chemistry

UTS Assumed Knowledge: MX1, Physics

USyd Assumed Knowledge: MX1, Physics, Chemistry

If you did not complete the necessary subjects at secondary school, you could always enrol in a bridging course to get your knowledge up to scratch in order to cope with the engineering courses.

bv

HSC
they are just assumed knowledge, not prerequisits, therefore are not essential..

bridging courses are too a viable option, but I have been told by many uni lectureres today, first year uni does cover the specific areas of the subjects that alaign with your engineering course, so are not necessary, unless you are doing a specific science course ( b science majoring in chemistry, would really beneifit or need chemistry for example).

again, i believe it would be very beneficial to do a science for any engineering course as they are assumed knowledge tho..

acemusic415

HSC
Hmm... I chose my subjects around a week ago, I took a calculated risk and not attempt any Sciences. I'm more of a humanitarian and no a science/maths person. My subjects I chose were:

- Advanced English
- Extension English 1
- Mathematics
- Ancient History
- Legal Studies
- Music 1
- Studies of Religion

kr73114

HSC
I was wondering if anyone knew if economics was hard. I have been thinking of doing it. BTW I know a little bit about economics already but I just heard it was hard.

caffeinated4

straws; I clutch at them
HSC
Don't worry about scaling. Its seriously minimal. If you are terrible at the subjects (less that 50%) then your marks get even lower but if you are above 50%, then your marks may get a little better. So really, if you do good you good, if you do bad you do bad. Nice subjects.

HSC
I was wondering if anyone knew if economics was hard. I have been thinking of doing it. BTW I know a little bit about economics already but I just heard it was hard.
From what I remember, economics was more content heavy and a bit dry (but others found it insanely interesting) than particularly hard. I remember I grasped concepts pretty quickly and most stuff seemed really obvious (still not sure why I dropped it) although it took the person next to me maybe three times as much effort to comprehend. But she was a lot better than me in other subjects like maths so yeah, it depends on the person I think. If you only heard economics was hard but didn't find the concepts you understand hard to grasp then I don't think you should have too much of a problem with it as a subject.

slyhunter

Retired
HSC
Don't worry about scaling. Its seriously minimal. If you are terrible at the subjects (less that 50%) then your marks get even lower but if you are above 50%, then your marks may get a little better. So really, if you do good you good, if you do bad you do bad. Nice subjects.
Every subject with the exception of MX2, scales DOWN until you reach the top end of the spectrum (low 90s onwards) then some subjects may scale you up. MX2 tends to scale you up from the low 60-70s, for example.

Some subjects are also known as CAPPED, that is there is a maximum mark you can gain in a subject (eg. general maths is capped at around 92, so even if you get 100% raw, you will scale down to 92).

Scaling should not be worried too much about, however, if you aiming to maximise your ATAR, it doesn't hurt to know these things.

zdxl

HSC
I'm doing all the sciences and 3U mathematics, is this awesome? Y/N?

ptrgrgry

HSC
No, not particularly hard. It's a fantastic subject though. It is the hardest of the commerces and scales by far the best as well.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)