My Subject Selection (yes another one) (1 Viewer)

Chazure

HSC
Uni Grad
3U Maths Ex 1
3U English Ex 1
2U Studies of Religion II
2U Legal Studies
2U Modern History

Yeah i'm sure l dont want to become a scientist or engineer. What i'd like to do after school would be to join the ADF or do something like Arts/Law.

Any comments about the workload i'm going to suffer from/scaling or whatever?

Rockyroad

Banned
HSC
3U Maths Ex 1
3U English Ex 1
2U Legal Studies
2U Modern History

Yeah i'm sure l dont want to become a scientist or engineer. What i'd like to do after school would be to join the ADF or do something like Arts/Law.

it's only 12 units
that's normal.

I like your subjects and good luck.
consider history extension which starts in year 12.
you learn a lot it's really interesting.
you may as well try it. You can drop it any time of course.

HSC
so far your subject selections are really good, but for really good scaling you can consider picking up economics if u really want to.

But at the end its up to you
:)

invisibleears

HSC
Hey, I'm doing pretty similar subjects.

3U Maths Ex 1
3U English Ex 1
2U Legal Studies
2U Modern History
2U Business Studies

From what I've researched, they seem pretty good. :]

Rockyroad

Banned
HSC
Hey, I'm doing pretty similar subjects.

3U Maths Ex 1
3U English Ex 1
2U Legal Studies
2U Modern History
2U Business Studies

From what I've researched, they seem pretty good. :]
<HR style="COLOR: #d1d1e1; BACKGROUND-COLOR: #d1d1e1" SIZE=1>
<!-- google_ad_section_start -->nah don't do business.
do economics
or something else a bit more interesting

imo<!-- google_ad_section_end --></SPAN>

invisibleears

HSC
<HR style="COLOR: #d1d1e1; BACKGROUND-COLOR: #d1d1e1" SIZE=1>
<!-- google_ad_section_start -->nah don't do business.
do economics
or something else a bit more interesting

imo<!-- google_ad_section_end --></SPAN>
If I did Modern, Legal and Eco would the workload be too much?

lychnobity

HSC
3U Maths Ex 1
3U English Ex 1
2U Legal Studies
2U Modern History

Exemplar choices. Would have chosen them myself.

Just a tip on legal though: memories the cases and legislation asap.

kr73114

HSC
I have figured out most of my subjects. I just need one more probably. I need at least twelve for preliminary year. Any suggestions?
-Maths ext 1
-Advanced English
-Biology
-Chemistry
-Religion I
....which adds up to ten

Aquawhite

Retiring
HSC
Uni Grad
I have figured out most of my subjects. I just need one more probably. I need at least twelve for preliminary year. Any suggestions?
-Maths ext 1
-Advanced English
-Biology
-Chemistry
-Religion I
....which adds up to ten
Modern History? Economics? Physics?

Depends what you're into really.

de__locke

HSC
If you've been doing a language up to year 10 and you don't mind, continue with it. Languages are a good skill and they also scale reaaaally well.

Or you could do a history, or Eco or something similar.

kr73114

HSC
How would you rate Society and Culture as a subject? BTW my school performs really good in S&C. Should that be a contributing factor?

KnifeySpoony

HSC
I personally found it pretty enjoyable(thx to my awesome teacher :), however i'd strongly recommend against it unless you're good at time management/not procrastinating, the PIP is quite time consuming.
Especially since it's worth 40% now, woah.

ptrgrgry

HSC
You might want to consider one science so that you don't have 'all your eggs in one basket'. It's way more interesting if you choose a variety of subjects! Don't do all science or don't do all humanities. Something like:

English Advanced
Englsih Extension 1
Mathematics
Chemistry
Economics
Modern History
Studies of Religion 1

Well, not exactly that. That would be my choice if I could rewind.
Oh by the way, legal studies is really boring (in my opinion) cannot wait to drop it in 5 weeks! The scaling sucks! Do econ or chem instead; scaling is way better and they are more interesting.

Last edited:

slyhunter

Retired
HSC
You might want to consider one science so that you don't have 'all your eggs in one basket'. It's way more interesting if you choose a variety of subjects! Don't do all science or don't do all humanities. Something like:

English Advanced
Englsih Extension 1
Mathematics
Chemistry
Economics
Modern History
Studies of Religion 1

Well, not exactly that. That would be my choice if I could rewind.
Oh by the way, legal studies is really boring (in my opinion) cannot wait to drop it in 5 weeks! The scaling sucks! Do econ or chem instead; scaling is way better and they are more interesting.
legal studies gets a lot more interesting in HSC because the content is so different.

and to everyone, please do not base subject selections purely on the basis on scaling. please note that scaling changes EVERY YEAR based on that year's cohort and therefore, those high scaling subjects could become low ones. it has happened.

HSC
How would you rate Society and Culture as a subject? BTW my school performs really good in S&C. Should that be a contributing factor?
If your school is doing really well at S & C I'm guessing your teachers are pretty good as well. I would say this is a HUGE contributing factor (mainly the teacher part) for me personally about how passionate I can be about a subject, and ultimately how well I do.

Last year in S & C I loved it and my teacher allowed me to learn without even noticing, whereas my (new) teacher this year has been quite unhelpful and unethusiastic which sucks, to be honest.

Last year I'd rate it about 9/10 as a subject, this year about 8 or 7.5/10, mainly with difference in teacher.

The most important part is whether you're interested in it as well (even though I partly chose it because our school was doing really well in it and don't regret it :D). For example I'm personally much more interested with the aspect of society from the perspective of people, rather than technology and machines, so I prefer social sciences and englishy subjects to sciences and maths at the moment.

I looked at your profile (in an entirely non stalkerish way:p) to see what you're interested in and as you chose Science/ Biotechnology I'm not sure it's entirely your type of subject. Having said that, I do physics and whilst I don't always like it can be pretty interesting at times, and again I think it's about the teacher for me at least, even though they say not to choose your subjects based on that.

If you are genuinely interested in Economics/Business Studies/Legal Studies/ Psychology/ Sociology/Anthropolgy etc all mushed into one subject I would definitely suggest taking it if your school is doing well too, because you can do pretty well without trying *too* hard. As someone else mentioned the PIP can be pretty stressful, but if you've got useful teachers and stuff and have vague time management skills (and can maintain passion about an aspect of society for a few months!) I would not consider this a strong deterring factor (I pulled an all nighter for it just to finish footnoting before it was due, but I survived:).

Sorry if that was too rambly or anything, but hope that helped a teensy bit:) Knowing your other subject choices might help a bit, but if all else fails you could just try it for the first few weeks and drop it if you don't like it, because you'll probably know by then whether you like it or not, and for me personally going to class (and asking older students about whether they liked it) was much more
helpful in deciding if it was the right subject for me than just reading names.

Okay, I'll shutup now :)

kr73114

HSC
This PIP project for S&C sounds really hard and time consuming???
BTW my other subject choices are maths, maths ext 1, adv english, bio, chem, religion I and...S&C (not sure)

Last edited:

slyhunter

Retired
HSC
This PIP project for S&C sounds really hard and time consuming???
BTW my other subject choices are maths, maths ext 1, adv english, bio, chem, religion I and...S&C (not sure)
if you are really wanting to do S&C that shouldn't be too much of an issue

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)