My school does not let us choose our own subjects! (1 Viewer)

enoilgam

HSC
My school (Parramatta marist High School) does not let us choose our own subjects and (apparently) doesn't give higher-scaled subjects to us unless we are within a specific rank.

- Firstly our Mathematics department is in poor shape. We get around 50-55 people who are not allowed to do maths. There will be 37 kids doing Maths Extension 1 in Yr 11 2012, 25 kids do Maths 2 unit and the rest General Math (50 kids). Our coordinator is so selfish that people are not given the chance to do the math they want. They can drop it as well in Yr 12, right?

- Our Science department is in terrible form. This year (2011), there are 60 students in the physics and chemistry classes. Next year (2012), there are 25 students in the Physics and Chemistry classes!!! All of a sudden, we have to be the top 25 to get physics or chemistry! For biology it was the top 60, which was still not worth it! The problem that exists with me, is that I have an interest in physics and want to do engineering in uni, but the school won't give me physics!!! I know the subject is difficult but I actually performed magnificently in physics in year 10.

Please can you tell me about your school and subject selection?

The subject selection process is nearly over :( What should I do so I get physics? I feel like moving schools now :'(
Our school is currently ranked 63rd in NSW.
Our school used to do this, however the restrictions were a lot more lenient ie. to do business studies, you needed to be ranked in the top 90 for year 10 english.

jadenmaccas

HSC
@Powlmao

Are you sure? Or were you being sarcastic? Can I actually call them? But what will the BOS do about it?

jadenmaccas

HSC
Guys, if the meeting with my dad and the science coordinator to get me into physics becomes a failure, should I lodge a complaint to the Board of Studies about the ridiculous high ranks (top 25) needed to get in physics and chemistry? Because it is totally unfair to tell us if we can do a subject or not. I have made my decision not to leave schools, and I think it's the only other way unless I don't do physics (which I want!). So, what should I say to the BOS. Please reply ASAP!

Drongoski

HSC
N/A
At the meeting, your dad needs to point out to the science coordinator that it is absolutely essential that you do physics in view of your desire to pursue Engg at uni. Try to gain his sympaathy to your situation rather than challenging his ruling. Assure him you will get special help (meaning a tutor, whether or not you end up getting one) if you have difficulty initially. If coordinator does not accede to your request, may be see the Principal for his help.

You need to understand the school's position. Maybe earlier lots doing physics have let down your school badly by sub-performing.

By the way, if you are serious about doing Engineering, then MX1 is minimum maths to do in my humble opinion.

Last edited:
HSC
Uni Grad
the school is offering you something for free (an education)

but it doesn't suit your specific needs

so you are complaining that the school won't bend their system to cater to your needs

and you think the school is being unfair?

TorMental

HSC
I reckon I was in your position in year 10 two years ago. My school would only allow the top 25 to do the top scaling subjects.

The only reason why they do this is because they want to boost the school's rank with the best performing students in the cohort. Or they don't want students with the potential of a 90%+ be dragged down by a lazy bum who does Physics and get 40% in every assessment to get into the subject.

It would be in the best interest for you to go all out and demand it. Don't let it slide like I did. (I didn't get into physics because I was just at the cut-off of high B and didn't get an A in science). I wasn't persistent, and i regretted it in year 11. Don't let this happen to you. But sometimes, there isn't much you CAN do. Start looking to switch schools now and not in December if you plan otherwise.

Aerath

Retired
HSC
N/A
The only reason why they do this is because they want to boost the school's rank with the best performing students in the cohort. Or they don't want students with the potential of a 90%+ be dragged down by a lazy bum who does Physics and get 40% in every assessment to get into the subject.
It's actually more school ego, than this. A lazy student doesn't drag down better students. They just drag down the school's average.

----

To be honest, I don't believe that School Certificate Science should have any bearing on Physics/Chemistry in senior years. I myself went from 120th/180 in SC Science (thanks Biology)....., and by end of Year 12, I had come 7th in Physics and duxed Chemistry at a Top 10 school. Mainly because I didn't really give a shit in Year 10.

Drongoski

HSC
N/A
To be honest, I don't believe that School Certificate Science should have any bearing on Physics/Chemistry in senior years. I myself went from 120th/180 in SC Science (thanks Biology)....., and by end of Year 12, I had come 7th in Physics and duxed Chemistry at a Top 10 school.

jadenmaccas

Maybe you can point this out to your dad. Here is a living proof of one who did shit in yr 10 Science and went on to do very well in his Physics and Chemistry in his HSC. This would strengthen your dad's argument.

jadenmaccas

HSC
@ohexploitable - How dare you say that. My parents, who I am greatly loyal towards, pay $3000 dollars a year mininum to send me in this school. Therefore, the education isn't 'free.' You might only believe that it is free because my parents are paying for it. Wrong. I study and work hard at school to pay off the debt. Later, when I am older, I will assist them financially and also physically. Do not say that the school is not being unfair. You are not in the same position as I. The school introduced the top 25 rankings this year (suddenly), compared to last year, which was the top 60 to get into physics/chemistry. I believe my school already bent their system, so it could not get any worse iff they bend it for me. THEY ARE BEING UNFAIR!!! My school only cares about its school ranks, not the student's decision. Why don't you come to my school and share the pain, if your a boy that is. It's a boys school.

@Drongonski - You are absolutely right! Thank you for your advice. I am already into the Maths Ext 1 course next year, and then I'm aiming for Math Ext 2 in Year 12. Thanks mate!

Aerath

Retired
HSC
N/A
In ohexploitable's defence, I too thought it was a public school. So yeah. I didn't think he meant to cause offence.

HSC
Uni Grad
@ohexploitable - How dare you say that. My parents, who I am greatly loyal towards, pay $3000 dollars a year mininum to send me in this school. Therefore, the education isn't 'free.' You might only believe that it is free because my parents are paying for it. Wrong. I study and work hard at school to pay off the debt. Later, when I am older, I will assist them financially and also physically. Do not say that the school is not being unfair.
you go to mcdonalds and want to buy a pizza for $3000

they don't make pizzas so can't sell you one

they are being unfair

derp

You are not in the same position as I. The school introduced the top 25 rankings this year (suddenly), compared to last year, which was the top 60 to get into physics/chemistry. I believe my school already bent their system, so it could not get any worse iff they bend it for me. THEY ARE BEING UNFAIR!!! My school only cares about its school ranks, not the student's decision. Why don't you come to my school and share the pain, if your a boy that is. It's a boys school.
top 25 is a logical choice since the max number of students per class is 25

as to limiting it to one class only, that may be influenced by class and teacher allocation etc.

so you want them to make a whole new class and hire a new teacher just to have 26 students?

or you want them to give you a spot in that class instead of another (more deserving) student?

who is being unfair again?

cem

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
Due to safety concerns there is a maximum size for Senior Science classes (for all Science classes actually). Schools also have to keep in mind their actual staffing so to limit the Physics and Chemistry classes to the top 25 seems to me that they only want to run 1 class of each in Year 11. Legally schools can't exceed the maximum size in practical subjects (that size can vary slightly between schools given the size of the actual teaching spaces) and private/independent schools can also apply lower maximum class sizes than those in the government sector.

Can the school stop you doing the subject - not legally but...they can say they have a maximum number of students in the class and you don't meet the criteria they have set and that the class is full (many schools do this). Now if when the classes form there are only 10 students in the class you would have a case to take to the BOS but if there are 25 in the class no way. You need to get in writing the actual maximum class size the school will allow in these subjects.

jadenmaccas

HSC
What the heck your analogy made rarely any sense. You told me that the education is free. I replied that it isn't free (obviously)

And with your second argument, I'm pretty sure not everyone ranked higher then me will want to do Physics of chemistry, and they are only more 'deserving' by their rank. I'm also pretty sure that the criteria for the allocation of our ranks were purely based on biology assessments and a half yearly exam (which had no physics or chemistry)

HSC
Uni Grad
What the heck your analogy made rarely any sense. You told me that the education is free. I replied that it isn't free (obviously)
i'm saying that even if you offer to pay someone (the school) for something, but they can't provide it for you (the subjects you want), in no way does it make them unfair

you are the one being unfair

either take and appreciate what they're offering you, or change schools - simple

And with your second argument, I'm pretty sure not everyone ranked higher then me will want to do Physics of chemistry, and they are only more 'deserving' by their rank. I'm also pretty sure that the criteria for the allocation of our ranks were purely based on biology assessments and a half yearly exam (which had no physics or chemistry)
they are more deserving because they've worked harder in the junior years, why do you think you are more deserving than someone who has worked consistently and put in their best efforts all the time?

Lolsmith

kill all boomers
HSC
fuck

he obviously said that because they don't offer it, doesn't mean it isn't fair, your school has every right to choose who it wants doing its courses, you do not

Especially if they are taking money for teaching you, they are bound to produce good results for the kids that are able to do it and not let terrible students drag down the cohort, which is entirely fair

Physics doesn't even help you with anything anyway get over it

christ

Lolsmith

kill all boomers
HSC
and you wonder why they think you're not good enough when you can barely read nice

jadenmaccas

HSC
@ohexploitable - I wasn't proving to you that my school should offer me subjects just because I pay $3000 a year to go. I was proving that education isn't free. Capesh?

I never said I was more deserving than these people. They have worked hard throughout the year. But that doesn't mean I haven't put my best efforts all the time! I wasn't in the top 25 because of one exam. Yes, one exam ruined it. 66%. The rest, over 90% average. Okay, tell me one thing for me... If you performed in the physics part of Year 10, you would assume you would get into physics, right? If you performed in the biology component... you would assume you're in biology, right? etc for the rest. What if you are terrible at biology? Well in that case, if you were in Parramatta Marist (our school), you would struggle. Why? Biology was the only component in our ranks this year. Being good at biology ultimately meant that you were capable of physics or chemistry. But, what if you were good at physics and chemistry (both)? Nothing! Because it's too late. The Physics and Chemistry components of Year 10 weren't counted at all towards our ranks. Disappointing, to say the least. There are some people that are good at Bio, but that doesn't mean they are good at Physics and Chemistry as well, or bad at it too. If someone performed in the Physics/Chem part of year 10, then they have a higher likelihood to perform better in Physics and Chem Year 11 Prelim.

@lolsmith - you don't know me as a human being. I'm very sure I can read, my friend. Maybe you can't see, because, you can't even write a sentence.

HSC
Uni Grad
the school is offering you a service, they have rules and if you want that service you must conform to their rules

there is no obligation for you to take this service, you are free to change schools if you wish

there is nothing unfair about that

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)