MX1 to MX2 Difficulty? (1 Viewer)

Marc26

HSC
Hey, Just wondering how big is the jump from 3 unit to 4 unit in terms of difficulty.
I know its all about exposure to questions and practising quite frequently, but is it that much of a jump in terms of the theory involved?
My marks in 3 unit so far are 50% and 85% and I have improved quite a bit - I hope to do 4 unit next year..

FTW

HSC
4 unit is a whole different course, so there isn't heaps of overlap like 2u and 3u. That being said I think all people that do 3u should at least give it a go.

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
It's a big jump. If you like it, or are interested in it, then you try it - at the very least.

D94

HSC
N/A
I don't think the jump is as big as people make it out to be.

Graphs look at how you can sketch without the use of calculus.
Complex Numbers is just an extension of algebra. It opens a wider set of numbers to explore and deal with.
Conics is an extension of the parabola/parametrics.
Integration introduces maybe 3 new concepts (IBP, Reduction, Partial Fractions)
Volumes is an extension of Integration and Volumes in MX1 - looks at 3 new concepts (shells, slices, volumes of solids, e.g. prisms)
Mechanics is an extension of physical applications of calculus.
Polynomials is an extension of polynomials in MX1.
Harder 3U are the higher order MX1 questions in probability, circles, linear algebra etc.

There's actually quite a lot of overlap, whilst being introduced to new concepts. And what I've noticed is that doing MX2 makes MX1 feel quite easy.

Riproot

#MedLyf
HSC
Uni Grad
The jump is pretty massive.

If you don't put work in you'll go shit. (I didn't put any work into either and went fine in MX1 and shit in MX2).

Sy123

This too shall pass
HSC
Do Extension 2 math if you are more than competent at math, because you might corner yourself, if you only have 10 units and you suck at 4u math, and you cant drop it (because you only have 10 units). Then your atar can be at a severe risk, because no matter how epic 4U scaling is, it isnt going to save 30-40% in 4U math.

Ive seen it happen.

Riproot

#MedLyf
HSC
Uni Grad
Do Extension 2 math if you are more than competent at math, because you might corner yourself, if you only have 10 units and you suck at 4u math, and you cant drop it (because you only have 10 units). Then your atar can be at a severe risk, because no matter how epic 4U scaling is, it isnt going to save 30-40% in 4U math.

Ive seen it happen.
40% in 4U = a reported mark of ~73 = ~96 ATAR equivalent.

Sy123

This too shall pass
HSC
40% in 4U = a reported mark of ~73 = ~96 ATAR equivalent.
ಠ_ಠ

woooowwwww....

I did not even know it was that good....

Point still stands though, if you suck so badly you get ~30% or below that, you still might back yourself into a corner though....I guess.

Riproot

#MedLyf
HSC
Uni Grad
ಠ_ಠ

woooowwwww....

I did not even know it was that good....

Point still stands though, if you suck so badly you get ~30% or below that, you still might back yourself into a corner though....I guess.
25-30% is around 58-63 = ~95 ATAR equivalent.

You have to actually have a mental breakdown mid exam (me) OR purposely not do any of the questions to go INCREDIBLY BADLY.

Parvee

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
HSC
From personal experience I found that the difficulty steps up a lot.
However if you put in consistent effort your hard work will pay off :)

HSC
25-30% is around 58-63 = ~95 ATAR equivalent.

You have to actually have a mental breakdown mid exam (me) OR purposely not do any of the questions to go INCREDIBLY BADLY.
wow, never knew that the scaling is that insane, it's almost criminal lol.

Riproot

#MedLyf
HSC
Uni Grad
wow, never knew that the scaling is that insane, it's almost criminal lol.
But kids getting shit marks in maffs couldn't get that so it's alright.

Also, you need a reward for doing such a demanding course.

Also, it's scaling worse and worse every year.

Siddy123

HSC
the calibre of students doing extension 2 is generally high ( so it should be) and so there are very few cases where students to get 30% in an exam.... unless they are only in it for the scaling and aren't doing any work. iirc, 90% of mx2 students get above 75% in 4 unit as a final mark. not too sure though.

HSC
But kids getting shit marks in maffs couldn't get that so it's alright.

Also, you need a reward for doing such a demanding course.

Also, it's scaling worse and worse every year.
Oh that's a pity, is it because of the cohort, difficulty of the exam or the new layout of this year's maths papers?

2xL

HSC
It's a pretty big jump, I ended up dropping 4U. Give it a try but it is quite hard.

Riproot

#MedLyf
HSC
Uni Grad
the calibre of students doing extension 2 is generally high ( so it should be) and so there are very few cases where students to get 30% in an exam.... unless they are only in it for the scaling and aren't doing any work. iirc, 90% of mx2 students get above 75% in 4 unit as a final mark. not too sure though.
99% get a reported mark of 80+. (I am the 1%!!!)

Oh that's a pity, is it because of the cohort, difficulty of the exam or the new layout of this year's maths papers?
it's the cohort. The sciences and maffs have been scaling worse in recent years.

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
Remember scaling is re-calculated each year so... you know.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)