Multiple choice (1 Viewer)

sunsettah

HSC
Plus it doesnt say that the particular diesase has been identified. Just "a disease has been identified"....stupid bio...
but then looking at the verb definitions, identify means to name.. so they're confusing the hell out of me

HSC
TBH the answers have both their pros and cons. Both will be correct. And if you get it wrong, or I get it wrong. BoS to blame...once again.

Survivor39

Premium Member
HSC
I think the answer to 4 is most lkely to be A.

You first seperate the diseased animals in one enclosure, then vaccinate all healthy animals to prevent healthy animals from getting and spreading the disease.

"B" isn't the best answer because it's too late to vaccinate diseased animals (no point to vaccinate), as they would have began to develop their own immunity against the pathogen.
"C" is definitely incorrect as the question already stated that a disease has already been identifed in one enclosure - why would you move them elsewhere? Just leave this enclosure alone.
"D" is just wrong.

4. The potential for disease to spread through animal populations in intensive farming is heightened because the animals are kept close together

A disease has been identified in animals in one enclosure on the farm.

Which procedure would best prevent the spread of the disease to animals in other enclosures of the farm?

(A) Isolate diseased animals, then vaccinate all healthy
(B) Vaccinate all animals so that healthy do not get disease and spread it further
(C) Move the diseased animals into another enclosure to quarantine them from the healthy animals
(D) Wash all animals with antiseptic solution so that the pathogen causing disease cannot spread from diseased animals to healthy animals

Survivor39

Premium Member
HSC
Q. 4 - "Which procedure would best prevent the spread of the disease to animals in other enclosures on the farm?"

Everyone seems to be saying that A is the best, because it combines the isolation factor from C with the vaccination component of B.

But from my understanding - I am questioning how vaccination prevents the disease from spreading? It improves the immune response of the individual, but it doesn't stop the disease spreading.

I reckon quarantine was the key concept in *prevention*, so I went with C.
Vaccination, like you said, stimulates long term protective immunity against a pathogen. So when this immunised individual do get the pathogen, the immune system will quickly destroy it, therefore, preventing further spreading of this pathogen to other healthy individual.

That is why the government is giving free swine flu vaccine to people, to try to prevent futher spreading of swine flu.

Therefore, A is the correct answer.

Last edited:

Survivor39

Premium Member
HSC
I put C for Q4. It did say 'to stop the SPREAD'. If the animals are vaccinated, sure they'll be able to repel the disease as they've been vaccinated, but they will still contract the disease and may pass it on to other animals, therefore not stopping the spread, but enabling the animals to deal with the pathogen with their own immune system.
Refer to my previous response for explanation as to how vaccination prevents spreading of a disease.

Survivor39

Premium Member
HSC
Question 4 = C (could be A but i'm more inclined with C intense internal debate during the exam lol)
Which procedure would best prevent emphasise on prevent the spread of disease to animals in other enclosures on the farm.
Quarintine is one or vaccination is another. Do they vaccinate animals =\ ? and also vaccinations only work against bacteria. what if the disease had been caused by a protozoan or fungi or a virus ?
Yes they do vaccinate animals. You can create a vaccine against almost all pathogens, including bacteria (Tuberculosis vaccine for TB), viruses (Hepatitis B vaccine, Mumps, Rubella vaccine - surely you must remember these!) and protozoa (Malaria vaccine).

HSC
Mate, they will both be correct.

I disagree. In A you are "isolating" in C you are "moving to quarantine". Which is same thing.

Vaccination is long term solution as developing an immune response and producing memory cells takes time. If the the cows were vaccined but got the disease in a short period of time. They would die.

If the cows were vaccined, and got the disease after they had recovered from the inoculation, different story.

Vaccines only work when the subject getting inoculated is not currently exposed to disease. If you are diseased, and getting a vaccination, while you have the disease...you die.

Plus, vaccination was not in the quarantine section of the syllabus which focused on the spreading of diseases.

hahah and what if disease was for Staphylococcus Aureus? Vaccine would do shit all.

Last edited:

AJ92

HSC
I'm agreeing with 4 (c) - although the question was incredibly ambiguous

9 i think (c) - oxygen does in fact strongly bind to haemoglobin, compared to carbon dioxide (although carbon monoxide is a different story).
Comparatively, more CO2 will be dissolved in the plasma than how much will theoretically bond with haemoglobin.

Survivor39

Premium Member
HSC
Mate, they will both be correct.

I disagree. In A you are "isolating" in C you are "moving to quarantine". Which is same thing.
Yes, although both A and C are correct, the question is asking for the best procedure to prevent spreading of the disease, and A is the best answer (quarantine and vaccination).

PantherZ

HSC
Pretty sure the answer to 4 is A and 9 is C.

If you want to really analyse this crap, none of the answers are absolutely correct as the majority of CO2 diffuses into the RBC in the blood (I do not mean attached to haemoglobin as haemoglobin doesn't reside inside the RBCs). Only a minority is carried as bicarbonate.

Also, like Survivor stated, they are looking for the best answer. The best answer constitutes the incorporation of both concepts, quarantine + vaccination, and the only one to do this is A.

Since this is HSC Biology, I wouldn't overthink it, and would go with the answers above.

Randomboy

HSC
Pretty sure the answer to 4 is A and 9 is C.

If you want to really analyse this crap, none of the answers are absolutely correct as the majority of CO2 diffuses into the RBC in the blood (I do not mean attached to haemoglobin as haemoglobin doesn't reside inside the RBCs). Only a minority is carried as bicarbonate.

Also, like Survivor stated, they are looking for the best answer. The best answer constitutes the incorporation of both concepts, quarantine + vaccination, and the only one to do this is A.

Since this is HSC Biology, I wouldn't overthink it, and would go with the answers above.
I agree, we must answer the question within the context of "HSC Biology Syllabus" The correct method would be A) as that correlates to two areas we look at in a search for better health (Isolation and Vaccination).

For the sake of argument though; by moving the infected animals out of the already lost enclosure to another, your both infecting a new zone, and allowing for the potential of infecting the healthy animals in transmission.

sam5

HSC
I agree, we must answer the question within the context of "HSC Biology Syllabus" The correct method would be A) as that correlates to two areas we look at in a search for better health (Isolation and Vaccination).

For the sake of argument though; by moving the infected animals out of the already lost enclosure to another, your both infecting a new zone, and allowing for the potential of infecting the healthy animals in transmission.
yep good. Weve come to a conclusion about that one.

what did u have for 11?

Randomboy

HSC
I personally put D however im not 100% about that one.

Has anyone found out what the syllabus teaches in relation to stomates in hotter/dry environments?

Text book anyone?

sam5

HSC
I personally put D however im not 100% about that one.

Has anyone found out what the syllabus teaches in relation to stomates in hotter/dry environments?

Text book anyone?
ive read things about whether the stomates are closed at night or not. MOST plants close them up at night (suggesting B) but other sources have said that light isnt the only factor determining when stomates open and close, and i would have thought that the stomates might stay open at night to respire (take in O2) because they have little opportunity to do this during the day (unlike plants in wetter environments).

The textbooks dont say much.

njlalala

HSC
The answer was when the stomates are open at night and dawn as this is a mechanism for saving water and preventing eveaporation etc or something like that, if plants in a hot dry condition opened during the middle of the day they'd loose too much water.

sam5

HSC
The answer was when the stomates are open at night and dawn as this is a mechanism for saving water and preventing eveaporation etc or something like that, if plants in a hot dry condition opened during the middle of the day they'd loose too much water.
did u sit the bio exam?

It was B or D.

B had stomates closed at midnight and noon, but open at dawn and dusk.

D had stomates closed at noon, open at midnight, and half open at dawn and dusk.

Survivor39

Premium Member
HSC
In conclusion, the ones originally posted. Nothing has changed. I'm still leaning towards 11C though..
I'd like to see the whole question (Q11) including the graph if anyone has it so I can have a go in confirming it.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)