Multiple choice (1 Viewer)

the_bandit_duck

HSC
Hey guys,
I got:
1 C (A makes different combination of Alleles)
2 B (Anthrax)
3 B (Simple)
4 C (The word quarantine)
5 C (Text book answer)
6 C (Simple)
7 A (100 - (30x2) /2 )
8 B (Must be Bb allele's for a girl to be bb allele)
9 B (C means Carbon dioxide dissolves to make carbonic acid, BAD)
10 A (Simple, 2nd dot point)
11 D (B means that stomates closed at midnight, whats the need?)
12 C (Simple)
13 B (T-Cells will try to fight the foreign antigen???)
14 D (Best answer and signifies rapid change)
15 D (B is too much of an assumption and D seems the "best" answer)\

What do you guys think?

I agree except 9 is C.

ami8000

HSC
14 isn't punctuated equilibrium. Rapid periods of evolution in Punctuated equilibrium refers to THOUSANDS OF YEARS, not just two or so generations. Sorry pal
Mate, compare it to gradualism in Convergent or Divergent. It's relative, i know what you mean by hundreds of generations but Eldridge and Gould said that it was much faster than the Gradualism of Wallace and Darwin. As suggested by the Fossils

Punctuated Equilibrium

Nª!j∂♫

HSC
so whats the answer of 11
I don't remember which answers correspond to the right answer,
but for that question it had two types of graphs-
one that looked like an upside down U and one that looked like a M.
the logical reasoning would tell you that a graph representing the opening and closing of stomates
would fluctuate with the hot and cool parts of the day- the one like an upside down U.
what possible defense could you have for the stomates randomly opening at midnight-
the coolest part of the night??

Last edited:

Nª!j∂♫

HSC
Originally Posted by Pain
14 isn't punctuated equilibrium. Rapid periods of evolution in Punctuated equilibrium refers to THOUSANDS OF YEARS, not just two or so generations. Sorry pal

but the generations were
(approx, can't remember properly)

not just

HSC
ohnoes, i think i put e for q 7 and 11.
I don't see the potential fun in this. P.S. I think you have to be ridiculous to be omgzlolfunny.
In my economics trial i accidentally circled the number 4 instead of A, my teacher wouldn't give me the mark and i got 19/20. Yes i'm an idiot.

Claudeski

HSC
I put C for Q4. It did say 'to stop the SPREAD'. If the animals are vaccinated, sure they'll be able to repel the disease as they've been vaccinated, but they will still contract the disease and may pass it on to other animals, therefore not stopping the spread, but enabling the animals to deal with the pathogen with their own immune system.

Just my two cents.

maggie15

HSC
I got
1. C (mutations generate new alleles, whilst crossing over results in new allele combination. completely different).
2. B
3. B
4. A
5. C
6. C
7. A
8. B
9. C (not sure about this, could be B, discuss)
10. A
11. D
12. C
13. B
14. D
15. D

If you got these answers, then your guaranteed 15/15
Shouldn't 9 be A because it said binds "strongly" which is wrong as both CO2 and O2 bind loosely with haemoglobin so they can be realised easily

InterNut

HSC
In my economics trial i accidentally circled the number 4 instead of A, my teacher wouldn't give me the mark and i got 19/20. Yes i'm an idiot.
sum grrrl in my school did the same for our bio one, cept with B and 8. and she did it TWICE with both qustion 8's!!1 you're both failures, i'm sorry.

habibt

HSC
I got
1. C (mutations generate new alleles, whilst crossing over results in new allele combination. completely different).
2. B
3. B
4. A
5. C
6. C
7. A
8. B
9. C (not sure about this, could be B, discuss)
10. A
11. D
12. C
13. B
14. D
15. D

If you got these answers, then your guaranteed 15/15
hey christoffpow, for number 7, i think its B) - 30% because adenine and guanine are both purines and exist in the same percentage in an organism. This means thymine and cytosine should be 20% each

and about 9, it must be C because CO2 combines with Hb but not strongly whereas oxygen bonds strongly

emmcyclopedia

HSC
Ok - so here are my answers to the questions with the most varied responses...

Q. 4 - "Which procedure would best prevent the spread of the disease to animals in other enclosures on the farm?"

Everyone seems to be saying that A is the best, because it combines the isolation factor from C with the vaccination component of B.

But from my understanding - I am questioning how vaccination prevents the disease from spreading? It improves the immune response of the individual, but it doesn't stop the disease spreading.

I reckon quarantine was the key concept in *prevention*, so I went with C.

Q.9

Ok - so people are saying B or C.
I said D in the exam, but looking back I now think C.

Q.11
D, imo

Q.14

People, look at the side where it says 10th and 12th generation! To those of you who said it was too quick for punctuated equilibrium, I disagree. 12 generations seems enough, and I don't think the others fit.

emmcyclopedia

HSC
hey christoffpow, for number 7, i think its B) - 30% because adenine and guanine are both purines and exist in the same percentage in an organism. This means thymine and cytosine should be 20% each
Nar, if you think about the double-stranded DNA - you have a complement for every base pair. Therefore, in total, for every A there should be a T, and for every C a G.

Thus, A = T = 30%
and C = G = 20%

sam5

HSC
I don't remember which answers correspond to the right answer,
but for that question it had two types of graphs-
one that looked like an upside down U and one that looked like a M.
the logical reasoning would tell you that a graph representing the opening and closing of stomates
would fluctuate with the hot and cool parts of the day- the one like an upside down U.
what possible defense could you have for the stomates randomly opening at midnight-
the coolest part of the night??
thats right. 11 had gotta be D because theres no need for the stomates to be shut at midnight. Thats stupid.

I recon 4 is A. C would remove the problem, but wouldnt it just be better to isolate them, and then go and immunise the healthy ones. Thats means that the healthy ones wont be infected and the diseased ones will eventually get better. That way, the disease doesnt spread.

r pple really sure that 1 is C? (cos i would have thought that a mutation wouldnt have changed the allele, because genes are determined by allels, not the other way around). I thought that a mutation will still keep alleles the same because the gene is already expressed, and the recessive allele never shows in that individual and thus cannot be changed) .

marcquelle

a.k.a. Michael...Hi!
HSC
heheh, what was your reasoning for 11 anyway? I might be wrong as well. This is what I think:

D shows stomates less than half open during the WHOLE day. Plants can't photosynthesise with stomates half open. B shows them open during half the night (For respiration) and in early morning and dawn (to avoid midday heat but gain sunlight for photosynthesis).

anyway that's what I think
i agree with this, but had a big internal debate over B and D, and just went B, cause i know that cati have their stomates closed late night cause its too cold, closed midday for its too hot, but open them early morning and late afternoon/evening for respiration and transpiration.

just adding my 2cents worth

Question 4 = C (could be A but i'm more inclined with C intense internal debate during the exam lol)
Which procedure would best prevent emphasise on prevent the spread of disease to animals in other enclosures on the farm.
Quarintine is one or vaccination is another. Do they vaccinate animals =\ ? and also vaccinations only work against bacteria. what if the disease had been caused by a protozoan or fungi or a virus ?
That was my reasoning and before a disease can be vaccinated against it has to be KNOWN, and and plus we don't know (from the question) whether this disease can be transmitted between different species, and C was the only one that mentioned the word 'enclosure' that was said in the question.

Question 14 is D not Divergent! or B

The diagram does not show the conditions or changes in conditions in environment, i agree that there is only a change in over 12 generations
but punctuate equilibrium is "rapid changes" which can mean over thousands of years or by interpretation in this question since only 12 generations are being modeled, over the 12 generations
My initial thought was 'population bottle-necking' which relates to rapid change in the population, so that's why i put D cause its the same principle as punctuated equilibrium.

Thats my 2c

elias.p

HSC
Question 4 = C (Quarrantine) & Question 14 =B (Divergent Evolution).

emmcyclopedia

HSC
Question 4 = C (Quarrantine) & Question 14 =B (Divergent Evolution).
I still reckon 14 is punctuated equilibrium. I mean, I could be wrong...

But just looking at the generations beside the diagram - it indicated a lengthy period of stasis, followed by a period of rapid change in the demographics of the bunny population.

I can see why it might be thought that it's divergent evolution, but I think that requires the formation of 2 new distinct species. From the diagram, it was more just the 'evolution' of one species - almost the entire population had changed, and the white-eared bunnies were phasing out.

mfked

HSC
i agree that its C

because they don't know what type of disease it is therefore they cant vaccinate the healthy animals and yes its quarantine

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)