Multiple Choice (Compiled Answers) (1 Viewer)

walla

Satisfied Customer
HSC
i should let my thought processes complete themselves before opening my fat mouth
apologies bannanafish i bow to your superior intellect

Bannanafish

HSC
:D
but obviously not good enough, i put d in the exam :(

Last edited:

juber

jhv,m
HSC
N/A
14 is now witrhout a doubt D

After reading the jacaranda textbook and some of the points raised here, 14 cannot be B

Firstly, the word "observation" means that A and B are excluded from being correct by the mere nature of the question.

And quoting from the jacaranda textbook page 213:

"Glass used as a shield between the transmitting and receiving loops blocked ther UV (this is the actual occurance not the observation). This reduced the intensity of sparking in the receiving loop (this is the observation which is represented by the fact that the spark gap is shorter as the intensity has reduced)"

smeyo

Originally posted by juber
14 is now witrhout a doubt D

After reading the jacaranda textbook and some of the points raised here, 14 cannot be B

Firstly, the word "observation" means that A and B are excluded from being correct by the mere nature of the question.

And quoting from the jacaranda textbook page 213:

"Glass used as a shield between the transmitting and receiving loops blocked ther UV (this is the actual occurance not the observation). This reduced the intensity of sparking in the receiving loop (this is the observation which is represented by the fact that the spark gap is shorter as the intensity has reduced)"
good expalnation of observed to actual occurance...d has a reult about it and b is more of a drawn conclusion from thoery and result

walla

Satisfied Customer
HSC
ahh well
if you are right that's 13/15 and falling

juber

jhv,m
HSC
N/A
Ok, so here are the answers as everyone has so far agreed upon (including 14, i take Takuya's "oh shit" as a conceede of defeat on question 14)...

1 - B
2 - A
3 - B
4 - A
5 - B or D (lets argue this one out some more)
6 - B
7 - D
8 - C
9 - C
10 - A
11 - B
12 - D
13 - D
14 - D (muhaha)
15 - A

Bannanafish

HSC
huh? reduced intensity in a gap doesnt mean shorter spark length

although it does mean with a variable gap coil, the largest length with sparks will be shorter than before

hertz did not do this though

also reduced sparking is the observation, based upon infering the blocking of uv, or maybe he knew it blocked uv and thats why he used the glass?

also hertz didn't realise he did the photoelectric effect, hence the question means the observations hertz made in his photoelectric experiment, but ther observations aren't OF the photoelectric effect, just andy obvservation during his experiment

walla

Satisfied Customer
HSC
have a look at the other multi forum.....answer to 5 is actually b not d....

juber

jhv,m
HSC
N/A
Originally posted by Bannanafish
huh? reduced intensity in a gap doesnt mean shorter spark length

although it does mean with a variable gap coil, the largest length with sparks will be shorter than before

hertz did not do this though

also reduced sparking is the observation, based upon infering the blocking of uv, or maybe he knew it blocked uv and thats why he used the glass?

also hertz didn't realise he did the photoelectric effect, hence the question means the observations hertz made in his photoelectric experiment, but ther observations aren't OF the photoelectric effect, just andy obvservation during his experiment
well the reduced intensity would relate to a shorter spark gap. But yeah. If you ask me its a stupid question, but i dont think the fact that hertz had nothing to do with the photoelectric effect has nothing to do with it. It just asks which observations are consistant with the photoelectric effect.

Going by what other people have said, even if you were to argue that "UV waves were blocked by the glass sheet" was an observation, it wouldn't have any relevance to the photoelectric effect as its got nothing to do with it.

As dodgy as D may be as you argue that it will only change the minimum spark gap if the actual experiment uses a variable one, it is firstly the only "observation", and even if B were to be an "observation" its got nothing to do with the photoelectric effect.

So yeah. I would say that D is correct for sure as it is the "most" correct answer. If enough teachers at the marking centre whinge about it you might get both B and D being seen as correct, but I would say this is unlikely.

McLake

The Perfect Nerd
HSC
Originally posted by walla
have a look at the other multi forum.....answer to 5 is actually b not d....
As stated above, this is just a list of the answers provided in that thread (when people provide a whole list of answers ...)

yeeha89

Mutiple Choice QU 14 MUST be B !!

Originally posted by Under-stated
Correction Read the question: "Observation"

you cant conclude that UV were blocked by glasss sheet! So is it DEFINITELY not A or B.
And according to Jacaranda it is D, because it is an OBSERVATION.
LOOK man, ALL of the choices are OBSERVATIONS MAN, read the question. It said, Which of the following "observations" is consistent with the photoelectric effect that Hertz produced? This clearly assuming that they are all observations. And that is what my 3 of the physics teachers at my school said, so, HAH!!!

Bannanafish

HSC
consistant with the "photoelectric effect that hertz produced"

take the brakets as one thing
"photoelectric effect that hertz produced"="hertz's experiment with sparking stuff"

also hertz didn't know about the photoelectric effect so how could he observe anything aout it

Skywalker

HSC
N/A
Originally posted by McLake
As stated above, this is just a list of the answers provided in that thread (when people provide a whole list of answers ...)
o i c we get to mark it by majority vote do we?

Hooray for democracy :D

juber

jhv,m
HSC
N/A
Hmm according to this I got 15/15....

All depends on what the answer to 5 is.

I am not fully convinced by 5 being B

I think there is cause to argue both ways. perhaps its gonna be one of those where two answers are accepted.

I can only apply logic to this case, but with special relativity my brain cant get around the logic sometimes.

The way I see it, the spaceship is travelling at this high velocity. By the very nature of the situation, time on the clock is going to be slower for the people within the spaceship than it is for the people from outside the spaceship.

Now I see what everyone is saying in that you are seeing it from the perspective of the people within the spacecraft and it is in fact the people on earth which are moving at the high velocity in this case, (in which case you need to switch around the values of To and Tv)..

The problem with my thinking though is that if you were to think of it literally this would be the case:

The spaceship travels fast, time appears to go slower inside the craft from the perspective of the observer from earth, therefore time appears to go faster when those inside the spacecraft view time on earth as going faster, in which case they see the clock having passed more time EVEN though they are viewing the clock from within the spacecraft.

Its a trickyone!

I am happy to be proven wrong, I just want to have a definate answer so that I can say i got 14/15 or 15/15 (either way im very happy)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)