Multiple Choice (Compiled Answers) (1 Viewer)

juber

jhv,m
HSC
N/A
Originally posted by bob_the_catdog
b
a
b
a
d
b
d
c
c
a
b
d
d
d
a

i'm fairly confident with all of my answers
Yes I agree with you.

I put the exact same as you so lets hope we get 15/15! YAY!

Constip8edSkunk

Joga Bonito
HSC
well i just made that up:D but with 1 ring with a large enough gap, under UV light, u see sparking, no UV light, no sparking hence spark length decreases...

im just not convinced B answers the q, because it does not relate to teh photoelectric effect at all

Belle

You should be dancing
HSC
Can I ask something...

With q. 5, does anyone know the twin paradox thingie where both points of view seem to be right? I figure that if the astronaut sees the clock on earth as <10 years, and the person on earth sees the clock in the space ship as <10 years, the whole thing is like the paradox. But it doesn't work that way coz only the spaceship is actually moving, so therefore the clock on earth is slower, therefore the answer is D.

Does anyone else get what I mean? That was my reasoning.

Bannanafish

HSC
who says it has to do with photoelectric effect, the question was on hertz observations during his experiments, remember hertz didn't know it was the photoelectric effect

Under-stated

Director General
HSC
Originally posted by Takuya
Quoting p213 of Jacaranda:
"Glass used as a shield between the transmitting and receiving loops blocked the UV."

:D
Correction Read the question: "Observation"

you cant conclude that UV were blocked by glasss sheet! So is it DEFINITELY not A or B.
And according to Jacaranda it is D, because it is an OBSERVATION.

Constip8edSkunk

Joga Bonito
HSC
which of the following observation is consistent with the photoelectric effect
how is glass blocking UV light consistent with the photoelectric effect. its more like a step in a procedure, or a explaination of the procedure.

Edit: actually rage runner has a better argument, B is not an observation :D

Last edited:

Bannanafish

HSC
well at least hertz did b, he observed the affects, obviously didnt' directly observe uv light being absorbed

hertz never did d

walla

Satisfied Customer
HSC
Originally posted by Bannanafish
5 is b, go read the q again
its from the astronaought perspective of the clock on earth so it must be <10 years

do you even know what relativity is?
to someone on earth, activity on the spaceship looks slow. to someone of the spaceship, activity on earth looks slow. hence clock on earth > 10 to the astronaut

walla

Satisfied Customer
HSC
and i understand that general relativity comes into play because accelerating the craft would involve non-inertial frames of reference but i didn't take that into account because its not in the syllabus and the question referred to one relative velocity.

Bannanafish

HSC
er.... on spaceship the time takes 10 years, if he looks at the earth clock, it runs slow, so therefore <10 years

Constip8edSkunk

Joga Bonito
HSC
Originally posted by Bannanafish
well at least hertz did b, he observed the affects, obviously didnt' directly observe uv light being absorbed

hertz never did d
put it this way what was the consequence of hertz doing B, he put the glass between the emitter and receiver, and the sparking greatly reduced or even stopped... what does this mean, max sparking distance decreased. thats what i thought.

smeyo

Originally posted by Belle
Can I ask something...

With q. 5, does anyone know the twin paradox thingie where both points of view seem to be right? I figure that if the astronaut sees the clock on earth as <10 years, and the person on earth sees the clock in the space ship as <10 years, the whole thing is like the paradox. But it doesn't work that way coz only the spaceship is actually moving, so therefore the clock on earth is slower, therefore the answer is D.

Does anyone else get what I mean? That was my reasoning.
yeah i did the same thing so really it should be d... ill check with my tutor about it mainly the questions in contention, 5 and 14

Bannanafish

HSC
the twins paradox involves teh astronaut to come back to earth, this question doesn't have that

earth views the spaceships clock as slower
spaceship view earths clock as slower

spaceship has 10 years, therefore spaceship looking at earths clock is <10years

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)