Multiculturalism (1 Viewer)

mr_shittles

Big Chief
HSC
banco55 said:
The key problem with multiculturalism was not recognizing that some immigrant groups are more suited to Australia. Muslims probably have the culture that is most alien to Western society and have had the most trouble integrating into western society around the world. It's not really surprising that people coming from countries that have social mores that many of us would consider medieval have trouble adapting to Australian life. Look at their attitudes to women. The vietnamese and chinese have been much more successful at adapting to the Australian way of life.
That is so true. Why does Australia bring into this country people who have such incompatible backgrounds. Australia has the most disastrous immigration policy, one that stops boat people, but can't keep out trouble makers.

John Howard/Phillip Ruddock promote themselves as "tough on immigration", but they are just full of hot air. They do what they do to create racial divisions and help them win elections. They don't address the core problems of cultural compatibility.

_dhj_

-_-
HSC
Based on my belief that Australia doesn't have a "culture", I think it's fairly "multicultural". :p

Generator

HSC
N/A
_dhj_ said:
Based on my belief that Australia doesn't have a "culture", I think it's fairly "multicultural". :p
But in saying that you assume that other nation-states have an identifiable 'culture'. However, whether such a notion can be identified or not, nobody can deny that a 'culture' may be more readily expressed by those seeking to differentiate themselves in a new cultural setting than by those in the country of origin. That is, though an immigrant group may express themselves in a particular way, that isn't to say that they are necessarily expressing the 'culture' that existed back in their country of origin.

Australia may not have a standalone 'culture' as such, but I think that it would be best to not just assume that there is no 'culture' down here, or that it is the only nation-state that many would (unfairly, if not incorrectly) consider to be a 'cultural wasteland'.

Gay Captain

HSC
I am yet to hear any justification to NOT have a monoculture, other than "food". Seirously.

Comrade nathan

HSC
I think we have not yet reached mutliculturalism, and we do not ahve the ability to do so yet.

Enlightened_One

King of Bullshit
HSC
Well, the way it is now is that we have something akin to pizza. All these different 'toppings (cultures) on top of the base (Australia) with a lot of cheese around them (white fellas). And the cheese doesn't go overtop, it goes around (a very cheap pizza).
Or, in other words, what we have is a lot of isolated communities or ethnic ghettos that do not openkly associate or mix with people from other cultures. Thus they are not aware of the positive sides of any other culture. Such ignorance also tends to breed fear, which leads to hatred and violence.
Existing as they do in such ignorance of what's around them these people are very susceptible to whatever bullshit those older then them bestow upon them and they in turn pass it onto the up and coming. By this I mean that they learn from their older brothers or older friends who learnt it from older peers of theirs and so on.
This ignorance by the way is not limited to ethnic minorities, it is held by many whites etc simply because they have never known anyone of a certain ethnic background and in the same way as fear spreads through enclosed ethnic ghettos, fear spreads through these people via the media, word of mouth and so on.
A pattern emerges where most of what each sees from the other is the shameful side.

And the second problem is that by living in these enclaves how do the ethnic minorities ever enter into mainstream Australian life. All they seem to know is their own limited community which is mostly people from similiar backgrounds.
Hence, a long standing belief of mine that continually allowing immigrants to settle in Sydney in communities of similiar people is a recipe for ignorant disaster.

As for evidence of this, the best I can use is what I have seen with my own two eyes: I know people who (I hate to use the term racist incorrectly or to banter it around like the media, so I won't draw upon it) are distrustful of people of middle Eastern or Asian appearance and yet have friends of those backgrounds. These friends of theirs live outside of Sydney in small towns and the like and are treated as respected members of the community. They are accepted by the town.

The same thing may be evidenced by associating with people on their own, as I have done, and finding them amiable, and then coming across them later in large crowds of people from the same background and watching the change in the person.

As stated in MIB, the person is an intelligent being but people are dumb, panicky and dangerous.

Gay Captain

HSC
Also, if the definition said something like

Australia will be a Utopia.

Would magically become one?

supercharged said:
Multiculturalism does work very well if everyone gets along instead of attacking each other.

Successful examples of multiculturalism off the top of my head include Hawaii, Singapore, Switzerland etc
Multiculturalism does not work. Look at various ethnic groups in Africa and Asia.

/thread.

ihavenothing

M.L.V.C.
HSC
I believe that multiculturalism can work as long as a certain level of assimilation occurs to ensure the people can be understood and trusted in the community towards all others and that migrants leave their overseas problems (eg. Anti-Semitism) at the door.

Mountain.Dew

Magician, and Lawyer.
HSC
Australia- The Right to Leave

got this as a chain email, dunno if many people got this as well...

here goes -->
>Subject: FW: Australia- The Right to Leave
>
>Our Country - YOU Have the right - the right to leave!
>
>After Sydney not wanting to offend other cultures by putting up
>Christmas lights.
>
>After hearing that the State of South Australia changed its opinion
>and let a Muslim woman have her picture on her driver's license with
>her face covered.
>
>This prompted this editorial written by an Australian citizen.
>Published in an Australian newspaper.
>
>Quote:
>
>IMMIGRANTS, NOT AUSTRALIANS, MUST ADAPT. Take It Or Leave It I am
>ired of this nation worrying about whether we are offending some
>individual or their culture. Since the terrorist attacks on Bali, we
>have experienced a surge in patriotism by the majority of
>Australians.
>
>However, the dust from the attacks had barely settled when the
>"politically correct" crowd began complaining about the possibility
>that our patriotism was offending others. I am not against
>immigration, nor do I hold a grudge against anyone who is seeking a
>better life by coming to Australia.
>
>However, there are a few things that those who have recently come to
>our country, and apparently some born here, need to understand.
>
>This idea of Australia being a multicultural community has served
>only to dilute our sovereignty and our national identity. As
>Australians, we have our own culture, our own society, our own
>language and our own lifestyle.
>
>This culture has been developed over two centuries of struggles,
>trials and victories by millions of men and women who have sought
>freedom.
>
>We speak ENGLISH, not Spanish, Lebanese, Arabic, Chinese, Japanese,
>Russian, or any other language. Therefore, if you wish to become part
>of our society, Learn the language!
>
>"In God We Trust" is our National Motto. This is not some Christian,
>right wing, political slogan. We adopted this motto because Christian
>men and women, on Christian principles, founded this nation, and this
>is clearly documented. It is certainly appropriate to display it on
>the walls of our schools. If God offends you, then I suggest you
>consider another part of the world as your new home, Because God is
>part of our culture.
>
>If the Southern Cross offends you, or you don't like " A Fair Go",
>then you should seriously consider a move to another part of this
>planet.
>
>We are happy with our culture and have no desire to change, And we
>really don't care how you did things where you came from.
>
>This is OUR COUNTRY, OUR LAND, and OUR LIFESTYLE, and we will allow
>you every opportunity to enjoy all this.
>
>But once you are done complaining, whining, and griping about Our
>Flag, Our Pledge, Our National Motto, or Our Way of Life, I highly
>encourage you take advantage of one other great Australian freedom,
>
>"THE RIGHT TO LEAVE".
>
>If you aren't happy here then LEAVE We didn't force you to come here.
>You asked to be here. So accept the country YOU accepted. Pretty easy
>really, when you think about it.
>
>I figure if we all keep passing this to our friends (and enemies) it
>will also, sooner or later get back to the complainers, lets all try,
>please.
thoughts? opinions? suggestions? feel free to open ur heart on this issue.

danieljarvis

HSC
ehh.. as much as anyone tries, it's too late now. "politically correct" runs the way things happen now. And while people can stay here doing what they want and get benefits for doing so, why leave back to their shitty home countries? As-if they give a fuck about how we feel.

santaslayer

HSC
Mountain.Dew said:
got this as a chain email, dunno if many people got this as well...

here goes -->

thoughts? opinions? suggestions? feel free to open ur heart on this issue.
Most of that is shit.

What is the 'Australian" way then?

We do speak all those languages listed.

Whats it trying to do? encite more racial hate?

sparkl3z

HSC
N/A
that's the most stupid fwd ever. they shouldnt teach languages at schoools then if they don't want other languages here. dumbasses.

liquimalish

Liquid Malisha- HOLLA
HSC
Best forward ever we need more poeple writing editorials like this.
And just for the record, i'm not racist, I just hate everyone.
Bring back the 'White Australia Policy'

Ilija

Swinger
HSC
TerrbleSpellor said:
My mum had a santa hat on for 2 weeks over the christmas break, and she was told by many muslims to take it off because they consider it offensive.
Did she take it off, or did she wait first for the muslim females to take off their head scarves?

gerhard

HSC
oh noes my precious culture!
maybe in a hundred years time when im dead, no one will be having barbeques.

the horror.

THE HORROR

liquimalish

Liquid Malisha- HOLLA
HSC
gerhard said:
Well maybe if you went outside the city into the country you will see that the 'australian culture' is still very strong.
Country? I hear you say with a look of discontent. You know the place where you get all your food from. Politicians are just a small minority that walk around trying to root everyone

X

xeuyrawp

gerhard said:

the horror.

THE HORROR
Our culture isn't just having barbeques, idiot.

erawamai

Retired. Gone fishing.
HSC
PwarYuex said:
Our culture isn't just having barbeques, idiot.
Bkack yard BBQ are considered, for some reason, to be a part of mainstream Australian culture. I don't think he was suggesting that Australian culture is wholly associated with the BBQ.

X

xeuyrawp

erawamai said:
Bkack yard BBQ are considered, for some reason, to be a part of mainstream Australian culture. I don't think he was suggesting that Australian culture is wholly associated with the BBQ.
Don't play lawyer, it's very unbecoming.

Whilst he never explicitly 'suggested' that Ausralian culture was totally the Barbeque, he was mocking our culture by implying that the biggest loss of Australian identity would be the death of the barbeque.

The barbeque as an object, whilst hugely important to Australian culture, is only part of our culture. In the end, he was essentially suggesting otherwise. :)

I would also add that, like a national flag, the barbeque isn't as important as a practical/real object, but more as a representative one.

Last edited by a moderator:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)