• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Multiculturalism (1 Viewer)

ur_inner_child

.%$^!@&^#(*!?.%$^?!.
HSC
PwarYuex said:
I used to not be. I bet you could go back two months of posts and see how Left I was.

But now I find it hard to deal with what's happened to me and people I know without being racist. I honestly wish that studying different people and getting to know them helped (ie, stopped me hating the situation), but it really hasn't.

I'm also the first to admit that racism is a bad thing and a sign of intolerance. I think I need to grow up a bit.
if you believe that there is a problem with a certain ethnicity, i wouldnt mind it so much.... unless you believe that there are no exceptions within that ethnicity ~ that all behave that way so you judge a person or hate them before you get to know them. unless, you hate the culture/religion, not necessarily the people who follow it. There is a major difference.

For example, I know several fundamentalist Christians, I hate their personal beliefs, but as people they're good friends. I just never talk about religion around them.

Or have I misunderstood you entirely?

Not-That-Bright

Andrew Quah
HSC
PS: I find it funny that no one raises an eye brow when you post an article from "the communist party of australia" on this forum. I wonder if anyone would raise an eye brow if i posted an article from "the NAZI party of Australia" here...
It's not true that all groups have equal merit... there is merit within communism, I see no merit within you nazi scum.

Race is not a real thing?

DENIAL!
What is race?

Not-That-Bright

Andrew Quah
HSC
Communism has killed more people than Nazism, and communism is not practical except in over populous countries like China. It would also benefit india where the controls of large amounts of people who are viewed as nothing more than a number by the state may be needed. Everywhere else, communism cannot apply.
You are not talking about communism.

Just because there is a lack of a clear definition does not mean that it doesn't exist. Not everything is tangible or able to be defined.
Well then if you can't define it... how do you know that it exists? You don't even know what it is.

Not-That-Bright

Andrew Quah
HSC
Oh I can see that there are different breeds of dogs etc however this becomes much more complicated after generations of cross-breeding as we have within humans... The 'distinguishing or characteristic' quality is much harder to determine and in many cases does not exist.

Not-That-Bright

Andrew Quah
HSC
Well it's often a made up thing, for example the difference between the welsh and the english... now they are considered two different races (by some, mainly those living in the UK). By this sort of logic I'm sure some people believe the people of western sydney to be a unique race also, after all they have some shared distinguishing characteristics (voice, culture, some even claim appearance...) and all live together in the same geographical location...

Not-That-Bright

Andrew Quah
HSC
TerrbleSpellor said:
Yes, there are people who believe russians are different from germans from french etc, but on a larger scale you can't deny that europeans are a different race then Africans.....
Why, because they're black?

X

xeuyrawp

Not-That-Bright said:
The 'distinguishing or characteristic' quality is much harder to determine and in many cases does not exist.
Races that have kept to themselves are clearly distinguishable from others. Look at Jewish people; they are quite distinct from their ethnic neighbours, yet their distinct looks are quite noticable.

(Sorry to keep mentioning Jews -- but it's the best example of pocketed race/culture next to pygmies).

Not-That-Bright

Andrew Quah
HSC
So race is all about looks? It seems to be much more to do with psychological traits such as temperment and social traits...

For example;

Asian - Smart, Nerd, Strict Parents... blah blah

The looks are just how you're supposed to identify people whom have these traits, or am I missing something?

yy

HSC
N/A
PwarYuex said:
Races that have kept to themselves are clearly distinguishable from others. Look at Jewish people; they are quite distinct from their ethnic neighbours, yet their distinct looks are quite noticable.
that reminds me, i've always wondered how you can tell jews apart, because from the movies, people seems to tell apart Jews and germans so easily, yet i thought they all look the same! at first, i thought their face is longer and their nose is a bit unique, but people on news, e.g. sharon did not fit that description at all.

leetom

there's too many of them!
HSC
yy said:
that reminds me, i've always wondered how you can tell jews apart, because from the movies, people seems to tell apart Jews and germans so easily, yet i thought they all look the same! at first, i thought their face is longer and their nose is a bit unique, but people on news, e.g. sharon did not fit that description at all.
"Look I'm sorry, but if you ask me- put an Arab guy and a Jewish guy together- you can't tell the difference." *Angry Jews* (Family Guy)

HotShot

-_-
HSC
TerrbleSpellor said:
You're like an anoying child who keeps saying "Why?" every time you say something.

-------------> There are races. Get over it. <--------------
There is only one race, thats the human race. But race in this context refers to where you come from, not necessarily how you look, but where you originated. Because racism is existent in india itself, and they look alike,so its not the look, rather their culture and traditions.

And because everyone has different views and perspective and they believe in there own, naturally rascism will exist or in broader sense discrimination.

HotShot

-_-
HSC
yy said:
jew are soo easy to pick out, they tend to be unnaturally white, bloody white. Also they talk too much about the holocaust. nothing to do with noses (thats persians).

Example take sienfield, he is pretty white, if you see someone unusually white,(like a ghost) then thats ur jew.

HotShot

-_-
HSC
TerrbleSpellor said:
Re: india.

Are you sure you don't mean class discrimination?
lol, class discrimination - no way man.

india consists hell lot of cultures, each state has their own language, plus there are different dialects. On top of that they hindus,muslims and christians. on top of that they language issues -now thats racism.

There are 18 official languages in India, and more unofficial.

http://www.indax.com/basic.html --check this out

so obviously these guys dont get along with each other. which of course is rascism and discrimination.

cLass discrimination was in the past, during and just after the colonial period, after the it basically was pushed away by pakis-indo wars. hindu-muslim riots and kannada-tamil 'cold war'.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)