Multiculturalism (1 Viewer)

erawamai

Retired. Gone fishing.
HSC
What is Multiculturalism?

According to the Department of Immigration and multicultural and Indegenous Affairs

DIMIA said:
Australia’s multicultural policy promotes acceptance of and respect for our cultural diversity. It embraces our Australian-grown customs and the heritage of Indigenous Australians, early settlers, and the diverse range of migrants now coming to this country. It supports the right of each Australian to maintain and celebrate, within the law, their culture, language or religion.

The freedom of all Australians to express and share their cultural values is dependent on our abiding by mutual civic obligations. All Australians are expected to have an overriding loyalty to Australia and its people, and to respect the basic structures and principles underwriting our democratic society. These are the Constitution, parliamentary democracy, freedom of speech and religion, English as the national language, the rule of law, acceptance and equality.
http://www.immi.gov.au/multicultural/australian/index.htm

Al Grasby, the father of multiculturalism also had a similar definition. Like everything the definition of multiculturalism defines rights and responsibilities...

Multiculturalism has always been a part of the social contract where new cultural groups are to adapt to a baseline culture. Essentially assimlating to a extent into mainstream culture. This essentially means working and going about day to day business in society without seeking to undermine it.

A number of people, in the news media and talkback, seem confused or like to misrepresent what multiculturalism is in order to advance their racial prejudices. Rather than reaffirm what multiculturalism is and exploring the reasons why we get racial mob voilence like we saw yesterday some want to throw it out completely and go back to white Australia and become another South Africa.

Clearly there are racial groups that are not adhereing to the baseline culture. This does not represent a failure of multiculturalism. But a failure of those who live in society to understand how multiculturalism works and what multiculturalism is. Those who benefit from multiculturalism have responsbilities as does everyone else. There is an onus on everyone to tolerate eachother so that those new to Australia are free to integrate successfully. As the definition points out people new to Australia have a duties also. Respect for both these duties would avoid any need for racial tension.

Last edited:

supercharged

HSC
N/A
Multiculturalism does work very well if everyone gets along instead of attacking each other.

Successful examples of multiculturalism off the top of my head include Hawaii, Singapore, Switzerland etc

erawamai

Retired. Gone fishing.
HSC
supercharged said:
Multiculturalism does work very well if everyone gets along instead of attacking each other.

Successful examples of multiculturalism off the top of my head include Hawaii, Singapore, Switzerland etc
Canada..............

K

katie_tully

Yes...but if I recall properly, places like Switzerland also have quite tough immigration laws. Meaning, they don't just let anybody and everybody in.

I disagree with the term multiculturalism. I think it's ridiculous and represents racial and cultural segregation. I personally feel it is impossible for a multitude of different cultures to exist harmoniously within a small area - unless there is some form of assimilation. And we all know how well assimilation works.

Note. I'm not infering that cultures should homogenise and lose their identity, I'm saying there needs to be some development of the Australian culture incorporated into other cultures. There needs to be a desire to be Australian. Refer to the Greek, Italian, Turkish and Croation immigrants of pre and post World War 2. <3

erawamai

Retired. Gone fishing.
HSC
katie_tully said:
Note. I'm not infering that cultures should homogenise and lose their identity, I'm saying there needs to be some development of the Australian culture incorporated into other cultures. There needs to be a desire to be Australian. Refer to the Greek, Italian, Turkish and Croation immigrants of pre and post World War 2. <3
I think you need to read the definition of multiculturalism again as provided by the Howard government.

K

katie_tully

I read the definition. I had specific people in mind when I made that post. Mainly people like supercharged, who have this fear that white Australia wants to erase his existance. WHich wouldnt be all that bad.

Er, anyway. Essentially, that definition covers their arses in light of terrorist fears. It allows them to control any rogue people, be they Middle Eastern, Asian or White...
Not many people accept that definition Erawam, because the P.C Australia would have us believe that those who speak out against immigrants not willing to adhere to the term multiculturalism are racist.

erawamai

Retired. Gone fishing.
HSC
katie_tully said:
Er, anyway. Essentially, that definition covers their arses in light of terrorist fears. It allows them to control any rogue ethnics, be they Middle Eastern, Asian or White...

Nobody accepts that Erawam, because the P.C Australia would have us believe that those who speak out against immigrants not willing to adhere to the term multiculturalism are racist.
The definition of multiculturalism has been around for a long time. It hasn't really changed.

tully didnt read the definition said:
I disagree with the term multiculturalism. I think it's ridiculous and represents racial and cultural segregation. I personally feel it is impossible for a multitude of different cultures to exist harmoniously within a small area - unless there is some form of assimilation. And we all know how well assimilation works.
Thats what it means when new groups of people have to adhere to the 'baseline culture'...
Instead of baseline culture DIMIA use 'mutual civic obligtions'. According to DIMIA this baseline culture includes the below.
DIMIA said:
The freedom of all Australians to express and share their cultural values is dependent on our abiding by mutual civic obligations. All Australians are expected to have an overriding loyalty to

1.Australia and its people, and to respect the basic structures and principles underwriting our democratic society.

2. These are the Constitution, parliamentary democracy, freedom of speech and religion, English as the national language, the rule of law, acceptance and equality.

Last edited:
K

katie_tully

They don't tolerate any shit, Supercharged. The languages would be more beneficial to Switzerland, because it's surrounded by different countries. Unlike Australia.

K

katie_tully

erawamai said:
The definition of multiculturalism has been around for a long time. It hasn't really changed.

Thats what it means when new groups of people have to adhere to the 'baseline culture'...
Instead of baseline culture DIMIA use 'mutual civic obligtions'. According to DIMIA this baseline culture includes the below.
Are you completely insane?

I said I disagree with the TERM. The semantics. I don't care about the definition of the word. The definition is fine. The term itself, to the avergage Australian suggests that it is possible for "multi cultures" to live harmoniously in one area. Suggesting they adhere to a baseline culture is bullshit, because they don't! That is partly the reason behind racial tension in Australia, because some people of certain races refuse to adhere to this "baseline culture". Even worse, if you suggest they do adhere to it, you're branded racist.

Secondly, define Australia's baseline culture?

erawamai

Retired. Gone fishing.
HSC
katie_tully said:
Suggesting they adhere to a baseline culture is bullshit, because they don't! That is partly the reason behind racial tension in Australia, because some people of certain races refuse to adhere to this "baseline culture". Even worse, if you suggest they do adhere to it, you're branded racist.
http://www.smh.com.au/news/opinion/a-no-mans-land-in-our-ethnic-mix/2005/12/12/1134235999884.html

smh said:
For the most part, multiculturalism in Australia has worked well. The violence of last weekend was not evidence of the breakdown of multiculturalism but, rather, its absence [of the principles of multiculturalism]
tully said:
Secondly, define Australia's baseline culture?
It might help if you read the posts. I've already said what Australia's baseline culture is. Or perhaps DIMIA has said it for me. iIt doesn't take much to work out baseline culture that new people to the country must adhere to.

Last edited:

malkin86

HSC
I believe that 'having the desire to be Australian', like the 50s Italian etc. immigrants is a great example of multiculturalism working like it should - they didn't stop having their own culture, but they adopted the important aspects of the baseline culture. Most immigrants do integrate well into the wider Australian society - some don't, though. It shouldn't be a knee-jerk response to brand someone racist because they suggest that some people don't adhere, though.

I reckon that Australia's baseline culture is the culture that is enshrined in the laws and mores of our society.

erawamai

Retired. Gone fishing.
HSC
malkin86 said:
Most immigrants do integrate well into the wider Australian society - some don't, though. It shouldn't be a knee-jerk response to brand someone racist because they suggest that some people don't adhere, though.
Australia's multiculturalism has been a success. But when groups do not adhere to the principles of multiculturalism it all breaks down. Even worse it gives the neo Nazi's the opportunity to totally throw away multiculturalism and replace it with some kind of South African form of racial segragation.

In any case what is the alternative to multiculturalism? Monoculturalism. Lovely.

K

katie_tully

Exactly Malkin, but in the 1950s Australia's baseline culture was more easily identifiable. Define our baseline culture now. I already asked, but Eraw went off on a tirade about reading shit from the DIMIA. I don't care what the DIMIA think our god damn baseline culture is.
What do WE think it is? What is it we're expecting immigrants to adhere to?

erawamai

Retired. Gone fishing.
HSC
katie_tully said:
Exactly Malkin, but in the 1950s Australia's baseline culture was more easily identifiable.
If its so easy then identify it for us.

tully said:
Define our baseline culture now. I already asked, but Eraw went off on a tirade about reading shit from the DIMIA. I don't care what the DIMIA think our god damn baseline culture is.
Whats wrong with the baseline culture of DIMIA? Do you disagree with what DIMIA said?

The freedom of all Australians to express and share their cultural values is dependent on our abiding by mutual civic obligations. All Australians are expected to have an overriding loyalty to

1.Australia and its people, and to respect the basic structures and principles underwriting our democratic society.

2. These are the Constitution, parliamentary democracy, freedom of speech and religion, English as the national language, the rule of law, acceptance and equality.

I mean obejying the law and such are good baseline principles. Essentuially people can do whatever they like as long as they don't seek to undermine the society in which they live.

tully said:
Who the hell is we? Honestly some people have trouble thinking bigger rather than smaller. Is there something wrong with the principles that DIMIA say new immigrants have to adhere to.

'Baseline culture' is too difficult for some people to understand because its not really culture as the average yob understands it. It means political and legal culture...not footy culture.

Last edited:

supercharged

HSC
N/A
katie_tully said:
LAWS. All citizens regardless of ancestry should adhere to the laws.

Does anyone really give a shit what 'culture' someone else follows aslong they respect the law?

malkin86

HSC
erawamai said:
'Baseline culture' is too difficult for some people to understand because its not really culture as the average yob understands it. It means political and legal culture...not footy culture.
It's more about ideas about important stuff, like respect and freedom, than what people do. (although what people do can show what their ideas about the important stuff are)

banco55

HSC
The key problem with multiculturalism was not recognizing that some immigrant groups are more suited to Australia. Muslims probably have the culture that is most alien to Western society and have had the most trouble integrating into western society around the world. It's not really surprising that people coming from countries that have social mores that many of us would consider medieval have trouble adapting to Australian life. Look at their attitudes to women. The vietnamese and chinese have been much more successful at adapting to the Australian way of life.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)