Muhammad Cartoon Controversy (1 Viewer)

SashatheMan

StudyforEver
HSC
N/A
Re: Jihad Against Danish Newspaper

ihavenothing said:
Yeh, same thing happened to me but I've had large sigs before but the mods only seem to get rid of them if they contain any political message that they worry may offend people, so it looks like we have our own free speech problem here on BOS.

There is an assortment of smaller and different banners at http://skender.be/supportdenmark/banners.html.
i think they dont like the large size, but they would accept alot of messages

ihavenothing

M.L.V.C.
HSC

If you want to also show your support by buying Danish foods a list is available here http://hnn.us/blogs/entries/21097.html. The main Danish brands you have heard of are Carlsberg Beer, Arla, Lego and a few others.

In the Sydney area there are a few Delis that stock a large range of Danish goods such as pork products, cheeses and dairy the addresses are here:

Danish Deli
181 Marrickville Road
MARRICKVILLE NSW 2204

Royal Danish Bakery
Jacksons Road
WARRIEWOOD NSW 2102

banco55

HSC

ihavenothing said:
(Parts of) Indonesia and Turkey follow a quite liberal interpretation of Islam and women are not pressured to wear headscarf. I was in Turkey some time ago and the people there (in Istanbul) seemed to embrace Western culture and values whilst watering down their Islamic beliefs, maybe this should be done in Western countries to prevent conflict.

In SA and Iran the story is completely different and gays have been executed brutally. It is also sad in Palestine, many gays are forced to defect to Israel to be accepted.
The only way Turkey manages to keep a lid on the muslim nutcases is through strict laws. If you are a hardline muslim you will find it difficult to get a job in turkey and the security services will hassle you and even throw you in jail.

Pianpupodoel

Neurotic Member
HSC

I'd just like to play the devil's advocate here and ask a few questions.

Is democracy considered an ideology?
If so, would free speech be considered one of the fundamental tenets in democracy as an ideology? Or is it something separate?

Consequently, if both answers are yes, what makes the tenet of free speech more important than a tenet in any other ideology? Say, for example, the tenet in Islam that Mohammed should not be depicted in drawings?

davin

HSC
N/A

Well, Turkey is trying to get in good with Europe, so thats an element of it.

and....the nazi-related laws, while i disagree with, is more European guilt than anything else. but hopfully they get rid of em

ihavenothing

M.L.V.C.
HSC

Then you can argue that nearly every human thought or construct is an ideology. I just hold my opinion that democracy works better than religious law as shown by Denmark which must not submit to Islam which is gaining a strangle hold on the Western World and rewinding the clock on aspects of out everyday lives that seem trivial as they are only justified by beliefs, not concrete facts and observations.

banco55

HSC

Pianpupodoel said:

If so, would free speech be considered one of the fundamental tenets in democracy as an ideology? Or is it something separate?

Consequently, if both answers are yes, what makes the tenet of free speech more important than a tenet in any other ideology? Say, for example, the tenet in Islam that Mohammed should not be depicted in drawings?
Of course it's an ideology. But to concede that it's an ideology proves absolutely nothing. Communism, Nazism and yes Islamism are also ideologies and I have no hesitation in saying that western liberal demcracy is much to be preferred to the other aforementioned ideologies.

Last edited:

davin

HSC
N/A

I'm beginning to think taht this will be a very big problem very soon....though I'm amazed that the U.S. isn't really having much getting said on this, aside from bloggers.

I'm glad to see that people are standing up for free speech with this....the idea of economic sanctions and criminal trials is insane for simple freedom of speech. Its going to be a very bad time to be in Europe, i think.

SashatheMan

StudyforEver
HSC
N/A

ihavenothing said:
Lets not forget one of Denmark's most prized exports....LEGO!!!
owned.

if i had young cousins or something, i would buy them some lego

SashatheMan

StudyforEver
HSC
N/A

davin said:
I'm beginning to think taht this will be a very big problem very soon....though I'm amazed that the U.S. isn't really having much getting said on this, aside from bloggers.

I'm glad to see that people are standing up for free speech with this....the idea of economic sanctions and criminal trials is insane for simple freedom of speech. Its going to be a very bad time to be in Europe, i think.
nah i think alot of people from countries who support free speech, are spreading the message of buying Danish products, to equalise the boycott and help Danish economy.

tempco

HSC

oh big deal. the usual terrorists do what they always do and all of a sudden it's islamofascism at large. if there had been cartoons that had depicted a figure head of any other group in such a way, of course there would be complaints and angry protests. but in this case, just add terrorists cause terrorists are in at the moment.

funny how the petitions don't draw attention to the nature of the cartoons involved... :rolleyes:

MoonlightSonata

Retired
HSC
N/A

Pianpupodoel said:

Because free speech is essential to allowing open political discussion and to allow criticism of the government.

Muhammed not being depicted in drawings is not.

SashatheMan

StudyforEver
HSC
N/A

tempco said:
oh big deal. the usual terrorists do what they always do and all of a sudden it's islamofascism at large. if there had been cartoons that had depicted a figure head of any other group in such a way, of course there would be complaints and angry protests. but in this case, just add terrorists cause terrorists are in at the moment.

funny how the petitions don't draw attention to the nature of the cartoons involved... :rolleyes:
theres always someone complaining, but cartoons have been done before of all other religions, and any other topics, but majority of people dont care, they see it as humour, or brush it off, and even if they dont like it, they just EGNORE it. but now it seems that muslims think these cartoons cant exist at all, and its like every muslims. and they are trying to teach a lesson to a whole country because of a cartoon. its stupid

tempco

HSC

SashatheMan said:
theres always someone complaining, but cartoons have been done before of all other religions, and any other topics, but majority of people dont care, they see it as humour, or brush it off, and even if they dont like it, they just EGNORE it. but now it seems that muslims think these cartoons cant exist at all, and its like every muslims. and they are trying to teach a lesson to a whole country because of a cartoon. its stupid
The average Muslim cares more about Islam then any other person of a different faith. Some Muslims are hot-headed Arab terrorists. The news loves that, so that's what you see... but the average Muslim has the right to complain about the cartoons. There's nothing wrong with that... Why should you care anyway? Just EGNORE IT.

SashatheMan

StudyforEver
HSC
N/A

tempco said:
The average Muslim cares more about Islam then any other person of a different faith. Some Muslims are hot-headed Arab terrorists. The news loves that, so that's what you see... but the average Muslim has the right to complain about the cartoons. There's nothing wrong with that... Why should you care anyway? Just EGNORE IT.[/QUOTE]

i care, because they are trying to supprress free speech. which effects me.

davin

HSC
N/A

nah i think alot of people from countries who support free speech, are spreading the message of buying Danish products, to equalise the boycott and help Danish economy.
my thing with Europe was more in reference to that this has drawn the focus of extreme Islamic groups to Europe as a target.

funny how the petitions don't draw attention to the nature of the cartoons involved...
firstly, the nature of the drawings don't MATTER. freedom of speech is for everything. and what do you mean the nature of them? several of them are really nothing other than a drawing of mohommad, the only offensive part being that they exist.

second, i've not seen such a reaction to anything about any leader of a group recently, to the point that there is a demand for economic sanctions, cutting diplomatic ties, etc.

davin

HSC
N/A

SashatheMan said:
tempco said:
The average Muslim cares more about Islam then any other person of a different faith. Some Muslims are hot-headed Arab terrorists. The news loves that, so that's what you see... but the average Muslim has the right to complain about the cartoons. There's nothing wrong with that... Why should you care anyway? Just EGNORE IT.[/QUOTE]

i care, because they are trying to supprress free speech. which effects me.
agree, if they were just complaining to the paper....this would be far different

MoonlightSonata

Retired
HSC
N/A

Guys if you must post them, post those somewhere else please

I've moved them to NS for now

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)