Muhammad Cartoon Controversy (2 Viewers)

Serius

Beyond Godlike
HSC
Re: Jihad Against Danish Newspaper

hahaa this is so much fun

we should do one of two things

email all these cartoons and our support to the media to have them posted

or create a new thread about the sudden HSC student craze of making islam cartoons in support of Denmark and hope the media picks up on it.

i am sure its a story that Daily Telegraph would atleast run with.

Kulazzi

HSC

Prophet Muhammad also married a woman. It is a cultural value, to marry a little girl. Not a religious one. So if we were to follow the prophet religiously, then Muslim men would not be marrying little girls. There's no Hadith or Surah in the Qur'an saying to marry little girls :rolleyes:

Not-That-Bright

Andrew Quah
HSC

Kulazzi said:
Prophet Muhammad also married a woman. It is a cultural value, to marry a little girl. Not a religious one. So if we were to follow the prophet religiously, then Muslim men would not be marrying little girls. There's no Hadith or Surah in the Qur'an saying to marry little girls :rolleyes:
I know, still kinda funny tho.. well to some people :(

MoonlightSonata

Retired
HSC
N/A

IB6-UB9 said:
http://uk.news.yahoo.com/02022006/140/editor-sacked-muhammad-cartoon.html

EDITOR SACKED OVER CARTOON.

Thursday February 2, 08:47 AM

The editor of a French newspaper that published a cartoon featuring the Prophet Muhammad has been sacked.Newspapers across Europe had republished cartoons first published in a Danish newspaper after the publication was criticised by Muslim countries for carrying the images.Islamic tradition bans depictions of the Prophet or Allah.

France Soir carried its own version of the cartoon on its front page showing Buddhist, Jewish, Muslim and Christian holy figures with the caption "Don't worry Muhammad,
ADVERTISEMENT

we've all been caricatures here".

The newspaper later announced its editor had been dismissed.

France Soir owner Raymond Lakah said he "decided to remove Jacques Lefranc as managing director of the publication as a powerful sign of respect for the intimate beliefs and convictions of every individual".

"We express our regrets to the Muslim community and all people who were shocked by the publication."

Denmark's Jyllands-Posten newspaper carried a series of cartoon images of Muhammad earlier this week.

The caricatures showed Muhammad wearing a headdress shaped like a bomb, while another shows him saying that paradise was running short of virgins for suicide bombers.

Muslim countries responded by imposing sanctions against Denmark.

Syria and Saudi Arabia recalled their ambassadors.

The Danish-Swedish dairy giant Arla Foods said its products were being shunned in the Middle East.

Other European newspapers reprinted the images in support of free speech.

Reporters Without Borders said the reaction in the Arab world "betrays a lack of understanding" of press freedom as "an essential accomplishment of democracy."
That's utterly ridiculous.

And that cartoon was unbelievably tame!

As much as many aspects of the US annoys me, you have to admire the First Ammendment. That sort of thing just wouldn't happen there.

Kulazzi

HSC

Not-That-Bright said:
I know, still kinda funny tho.. well to some people :(
Well quite frankly, considering that I, myself, am a Muslim, I find it really, really offensive. :mad1:

Please think about what our reaction might be. Obviously, it's the same as those in Denmark and France etc., except the only difference is that I'm not burning a Danish flag. Which is not what I would do anyway.

Kulazzi

HSC

while another shows him saying that paradise was running short of virgins for suicide bombers.
see, now that is stupid. It's misrepresenting Islam. If you commit suicide you go to hell, not paradise. It's haram to take on your own life.

ihavenothing

M.L.V.C.
HSC

Well, the reputation for Muslims to oppose nearly everything with violence seems to really help with the situation.

MoonlightSonata

Retired
HSC
N/A

Kulazzi said:
Well quite frankly, considering that I, myself, am a Muslim, I find it really, really offensive. :mad1:

Please think about what our reaction might be. Obviously, it's the same as those in Denmark and France etc., except the only difference is that I'm not burning a Danish flag. Which is not what I would do anyway.
It doesn't matter that you find it offensive. Just because a group of people are offended is no reason to bow to their (in this case) unreasonable demands.

If there was a religion that proclaimed that the only acceptable clothes were those coloured pink, no sane government would start banning non-pink clothes. Unreasonable beliefs are to be ignored.

Moreoever when religious beliefs impinge upon basic tenets of democracy - freedom of speech - then they are also to be put aside.

Kulazzi

HSC

ihavenothing said:
Well, the reputation for Muslims to oppose nearly everything with violence seems to really help with the situation.
Violence is not encouraged in Islam. The individuals themselves are ruining the image of Islam. It's meant to be peaceful. For example, when we greet other Muslims we say Assalaam'Wa'Alaikum, which means Peace be with you.

I agree, the violence is not helping the situation. It's stupid and making the image of the rest of us Muslims even worse.

Kulazzi

HSC

MoonlightSonata said:
It doesn't matter that you find it offensive. Just because a group of people are offended is no reason to bow to their (in this case) unreasonable demands.
I'm just stating how I feel when I see these cartoons, regardless of which case we're in. I did not say to delete them.

If there was a religion that proclaimed that the only acceptable clothes were those coloured pink, no sane government would start banning non-pink clothes. Unreasonable beliefs are to be ignored.
are you specifically referring to saudi arabia (indirectly) in this case?

Kulazzi

HSC

TerrbleSpellor said:
So why don't you get out there and fight those violent people if they are bringing your religion into disrepute?
well, what you're suggesting is ironic. Fighting the violent people...get it? It's like I'm fighting for peace.....but it's ironic.

The best way is to pass on the right message and words of Islam. Like for example, what I corrected concerning the suicide issue a few posts above.

ihavenothing

M.L.V.C.
HSC

Kulazzi said:
see, now that is stupid. It's misrepresenting Islam. If you commit suicide you go to hell, not paradise. It's haram to take on your own life.
Because I have sex with men does that mean that I will definately go to hell? I don't see why Arab countries can be outraged whilst Arab newspapers have been publishing the same type of caricatures of Jews as lice and vampires (which is racist and illegal, as the Jews are also a race as well as a religion).

Being part Jewish myself i see how ridiculous their argument is and how they have chosen to have taken offence rather than just ignore it, as I do not take much offence to the Jew caricatures as Western values maintain that you don't actually have to take offence and forget about it without ruining other peoples freedom or to take out revenge.

Kulazzi

HSC

ihavenothing said:
Because I have sex with men does that mean that I will definately go to hell? I don't see why Arab countries can be outraged whilst Arab newspapers have been publishing the same type of caricatures of Jews as lice and vampires (which is racist and illegal, as the Jews are also a race as well as a religion).

Being part Jewish myself i see how ridiculous their argument is and how they have chosen to have taken offence rather than just ignore it, as I do not take much offence to the Jew caricatures as Western values maintain that you don't actually have to take offence and forget about it without ruining other peoples freedom or to take out revenge.
you won't go to hell, you have only committed a sin. And you can ask forgiveness from your Lord for it (if someone disagrees, please say so).

I don't know why the Jews are not also raising the same issue.

You are talking about western values, can please go into more detail about this? How they maintain that you don't take offence?. I'm talking about my micro world, my cultural values. I hold very strong cultural values at home and you can kind of link culture and religion together (well, the culture that I'm from anyway) hence why I find it offensive.

Being fully Muslim, I see how ridiculous the violent that the Muslims are causing, especially concerning suicide bombings.

Kulazzi

HSC

Not-That-Bright said:
Si vis pacem, para bellum
translation?

edit: actually, don't worry, I googled and found out what it meant. Which is true.

Last edited:

SashatheMan

StudyforEver
HSC
N/A

Kulazzi said:
i remember posting a hadith of muhammad talkign to some guy and incouraging to go for a young girl similar to the one he snatched, instead of a older woman.

MoonlightSonata

Retired
HSC
N/A

Kulazzi said:
are you specifically referring to saudi arabia (indirectly) in this case?
No not specifically. I'm just making the point that freedom of religion should always be trumped by other more important democratic rights and freedoms, where there is conflict.

Kulazzi said:
you won't go to hell, you have only committed a sin. And you can ask forgiveness from your Lord for it (if someone disagrees, please say so).
It is not a sin, and even if God existed it would not be a sin. I am disappointed you would take such an unreasonable and prejudicial attitude towards your fellow human beings. When a belief does not make sense you should have the courage to reject it. You know you can still believe in your God and take the sensible position that there is nothing wrong with being gay.

Kulazzi

HSC

SashatheMan said:
i remember posting a hadith of muhammad talkign to some guy and incouraging to go for a young girl similar to the one he snatched, instead of a older woman.
It is encouraged in Islam to get married young and this is where it is misinterpreted. For example, even though I was born and raised here in Australia, I still maintain a cultural and religious id. So, now that I live in a western/modern society, I don't expect to get married until after I'm 20 (which brings in cultural values as well). However, if you live in an Arab society, then you'll see that girls get married as young as 15 (or younger possibly). In the Hindu religion (combined with Indian culture), a boy and girl are given like preist's blessing as a couple when they're young but they don't officially marry until they come to a mature age (if anyone here is Hindu can refine this, then please do)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)